Watch the weather today

<p>have your kids watch the weather today… severe storm warnings for the day, especially after 4pm… tuscaloosa and birmingham affected… tornado in huntsville area right now.</p>

<p>Kids should have gotten an email from the university yesterday. It recommended they sign up for the new Saf-T-Net service…it’s free and doesn’t require an app. Working well for me right now in the Huntsville area:</p>

<p>[Alabama</a> SAF-T-NET: A No-Cost Weather Notification Service for the State of Alabama](<a href=“http://saftnet2.baronservices.com/alabama]Alabama”>http://saftnet2.baronservices.com/alabama)</p>

<p>stay safe bamamom!</p>

<p>Thanks! Both tornadoes passed a mile north of me, but seem to be taking a track similar to the April ones :(</p>

<p>i noticed that… glad you are ok! hoping our area wont be affected…still rebuilding from april.</p>

<p>Just saw this on weather channel and knew I’d find you all here. I know Mom2ck is also in that area, stay safe everyone and please check in here as things do (or do not) progress. Looks like rough skies for many on here. Roll Tide safely everyone!</p>

<p>Sun is coming out from Tuscaloosa to B’ham; not good. Significant Tornado Parameter is up to 5 at the AL/MS border. Going to be a long day…</p>

<p>Indy-Had hail and strong winds about 11:15a Everything seems clear now (12:15p)</p>

<p>I just decided that a NOAA Weather Radio would be a great gift for D. Can anyone recommend a good one?</p>

<p>Edited to Add: also looking for recommendations of a good weather app for Blackberry.</p>

<p>midland radios are good.</p>

<p>We are doing the tornado two-step in Huntsville today. My kids have been released from school for the day.</p>

<p>Noticed UA has put out email/fb, etc… suspending operations this afternoon at 2pm.</p>

<p>Prayers and strong wishes for all in the area that they be smart and stay safe.</p>

<p>We are in Paris on vacation. DD called to let us know that she was a little nervous. We have had a plan in place since last April. Charge cell phone, fill car with gas, get bottled water and snacks. She is VP of her house do is in charge of making sure all of her sorority sisters know where to go and what to do in the event of severe weather!!!
KOn top of that her boyfriends uncle’s home was destroyed this am just outside of Athens Al. Probably not going to bed here (7 hrs ahead of Alabama)… Was glad to see UA suspended classes. DD’s sorority had a date party tonight. They have canceled that as well.</p>

<p>We are in town for a campus visit. We got most of our meetings in before the campus closed, but had a couple of things cancelled. It is unnerving to be out of town during severe weather. Not only is there nowhere covered to park the car (might try the new parking garage downtown), but we have no idea where any counties or towns are that are being talked about in the weather warnings!</p>

<p>Sorry lattelady. That makes for tough visit.</p>

<p>Try finding [James</a> Spann - Public Figure - Birmingham, AL | Facebook](<a href=“Facebook”>James Spann). James Spann has a following on twitter and facebook. He seems to be the go-to man on the weather in Alabama.</p>

<p>Are you staying in town tonight? The hotel folks could probably help you with a map of Alabama and the counties involved with the potential bad weather.</p>

<p>lattelady…Gorgas library and the Ferg will remain open for students who need shelter. I bet they’d let you hang out there until the storm passes if you would feel safer there than your hotel.</p>

<p>Oh, lattelady, I’m sorry to hear this affected your visit. At least it will be a memorable visit! If you have smartphones, you may want to try downloading a weather radio application. I have a weather radio app on my iPhone that knows where I am by the GPS in the phone and will sound a warning if there’s severe weather in that area. It doesn’t sound if the bad weather is a couple counties away, either, which is good, since irrelevant alarms are a good reason to turn the darn thing off.</p>

<p>lattelady and others, besides Tuscaloosa County, the counties to watch for during tornado watches/warnings are Pickens (where most tornadoes will pass though before getting to Tuscaloosa County), Sumter, Lamar, Fayette, and Greene. You might also hear references to Columbus, Starkville, and Meridian, all of which are cities in Mississippi close to the Alabama line.</p>

<p>Thanks sea tide, stay safe today.</p>

<p>Lattelady, you can also go to [The</a> Alabama Weather Blog](<a href=“http://www.alabamawx.com%5DThe”>http://www.alabamawx.com). This the the weather blog of James Spann & Co. Will give you weather information as it happens along with radar, watches/warnings, etc</p>