Wayland Academy in Wisconsin

Is there anyone familiar with Wayland Academy in Wisconsin? We are international, so unfortunately we have to make a decision from virtual visits and online reviews.

How does it compare with a TSAO school like The Hill or The Taft?

My son is extremely STEM oriented, but is also into piano/music/theatre and a swimmer.

I don’t have personal experience with Wayland, but I have heard positive things about it from people I know who live in the area - sorry, not much help!

I have no idea how it compares to Hill or Taft academically, I do know it is pretty small though, much smaller than Taft or Hill.

1 Like

Thank you for pitching in! The school size is just 125 students, compared to 500+ in Hill or Taft. Wayland’s aid is pretty generous, considering it is a need-blind school. Our main challenge is not able to find anyone familiar with the school.

I wish I knew more. It has a long history and sends kids to excellent colleges so is preparing them well for that.

Many of the smaller BS that are more remote are very excited to have international students in their communities. This can offer great opportunities for those students to have a more immersive experience than if there were a lot of students from their country.

I would not discount this one simply because it is less well known.

1 Like

Agree- that is what I know about it, from a friend that lives in that area. When she heard my child was going to boarding school, she asked if they had considered Wayland Academy - to be honest I had never heard of it, but she said it is well regarded in their community, they are proud to have it in that area, and that the students and staff were excellent. Again not sure how it stacks up compared to other boarding schools but it could be a hidden gem.

3 Likes

I don’t recall the exact stats, but a very high percentage of students attend schools within 2 hours of home. It makes sense – they are young, there are rules about kids traveling alone, etc. There are also a ton of BS in NE. Sooo many families here are from the northeast if not New England, so it’s simply not that surprising that it’s under the radar for many people here.

And with so few grads, what are the odds that someone had a college roommate or colleague who went there. OP, you can ask if there are alums in your area or from your country that you might connect with if you are still trying to get intel.

I’m hoping you say yes and can then introduce all of us to Wayland!

2 Likes

From the part of our country where we are in, nobody goes to the US for boarding school (maybe college, but rare). I am new to CC, and came to know about the boarding schools in New England from the Johns Hopkins’ CTY and Stanford Online High School parents’ forums. I have tried asking in those forums as well, but nobody has heard of Wayland.

Thanks for the suggestion about alums, will try checking with the school.

1 Like