We are Bama bound this thursday!

<p>DS has his official honors visit with Alison V and staff this friday and to the game saturday. Question. We are looking for good Bbq. I was told by a co worker who originates from Tuscaloosa that Dreamland (original) is a must. Any other ideas about what to see or do Friday or Saturday night is appreciated. Thanks all.</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>I know everybody here likes Dreamland and I don’t want to be blasphemous (HA!), but IMO Full Moon is one of the best BBQ places we’ve been to. We went to the original Dreamland and it was nice to try it, but probably wouldn’t go again. We’ve been to Full Moon twice and plan to go just about every time we’re in T-town. Love it! </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Rally can’t miss with either one. Dreamland is more of the “original” feel. Fullmoon has a better selection and was recently rebuilt so it is nicer.</p>

<p>I tend to prefer Fullmoon also, but it really just gets down to your tastes. Some prefer one some the other.</p>

<p>I prefer Dreamland in Northport. Full Moon is good; I just like Dreamland better. On our last visit we had the best of both worlds and went to both!</p>

<p>Have a great visit!</p>

<p>Then I think we will just have to hit both. Never can get enough BBQ. In New York IMO the best BBQ is Dinosaur up in Harlem. The original is up in Syracuse, NY. I know I know…nothing like southern bbq, just saying not bad for northern bbq…lol.</p>

<p>There is something to be said about the ‘experience’. While the BBQ may be slightly better or the facilities newer, it would be hard to beat the Wonderbread served before the ribs come out at the Original Dreamland. The humble nature of the place with all the nostalgia is the real experience. Don’t miss this. If you’re there Saturday night after the game look for me, I’ll be in a red plaid button down shirt with the ‘A’ embroidered on the front. The wife just has to have this experience.</p>

<p>Sounds good loring, I’ll look for you and your shirt. Thanks for your perspective, your right sometimes the history behind the store is more appealing that the decor.</p>

<p>Just gimme Dreamland sauce and white bread…mmmmmm. We’ve been to Dreamland Northport twice - excellent both times, and the banana pudding is outtathisworld. Been to Dreamland original twice - first time heavenly, second time not so. For a third BBQ experience, try Archibald’s in Northport. You’ll have to sit outside at a picnic table to eat. Then there’s Jim and Nick’s, a small chain out of Birmingham, on 21st Avenue in Tuscaloosa. There’s also Moe’s downtown - I’ve never tried it. Happy eating!</p>

<p>“I’ll be in a red plaid button down shirt with the ‘A’ embroidered on the front.”
LOL! Last Saturday, I think I saw about 4011 of these…</p>

<p>Then nobody will recognize me as the OOS doofus unless they catch a glimpse of ‘The Ring’ as Conroy puts it…</p>

<p>We had our BBQ at Jim and Nick’s and thought it was pretty good (the chicken won over the ribs), the pie and cheddar biscuits were to die for, friendly staff.</p>

<p>I hope you have a GREAT trip, my only regret is ours wasn’t long enough. We had enough time for the tour and all, but really wish we had gone today/this weekend for the game too. </p>

<p>Where are you staying? We stayed at Capstone, ok rooms, great location, decent brunch, friendly staff (common theme)…</p>

<p>The drive from airport is easy, you don’t need the GPS :)</p>

<p>Have a wonderful time - who is he meeting with in HC? We met with Dr. Oneil, very nice, was kind of hoping to meet Dr. Sharpe too but did not…</p>

<p>Have a great trip. Looking forward to your report.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that Full Moon is counter service. You order at the counter and they bring it to your table. Dreamland (at least Northport, never been to the other) is regular restaurant service (though plastic plates and forks). No frills, just great food. I recommend trying both and choosing your own favorite. That’s what I did. Though, wouldn’t you know, I just can’t decide.</p>

<p>Enjoy your visit. Hope it works out. We can never have enough New Yorkers at UA.</p>

<p>Just my two cents…coming from barbecue capital (Kansas City btw I ship Jack Stack BBQ to NYC a lot!) we liked Dreamland (went to the Northport one) over Full Moon, hand Moes last time I was in town and it was ok.
I would suggest you go to Rama Jamas for breakfast before the game. The walls are covered with Tide memorabilia…it’s no frills but deliciously southern (have the grits) in the nature of the food and the people who are eating there. It will be packed so get there early. It’s on the corner of Bear Bryant across form the stadium…we have taken so many guests with us and they all comment on what a great experience it is. The owner is a Saban replica, a really nice man and will chat you up if he gets the get a sec.
I would also suggest that after the game (since it’s early) that you walk to the strip. The atmosphere is electric after a win. Restaurants will be crowded but just enjoy the experience while you wait. Buffalo Phils will be packed but it’s fun to go and there will be LOTS of students there. We found it so helpful to just immerse DD in the college experience.
I also think that Mugshots is another “not to be missed”. The hamburgers are great and again…lots of college students. Magic Mushroom has great pizza (ok not NYC style but good)…again lots of kids :)…
So my point is to take your DS where he will be with students so he gets the feel of the student side of campus.
One more thing…not sure if your DS is considering joining a fraternity but if he is y’all might want to call the Office of Greek Affairs and inquire to see if he could have a Greek tour. they have been known to hook you up with a couple of fraternity guys to go an visit some houses ect. As it has been discussed here making a connection early is important especially when it come to Fraternity Rush and being OOS. Their number is Phone: 205.348.2693. Hope you have a great trip!!! Safe travels. We will actually be flipping locations as I am on my way to NYC for Thanksgiving!</p>

<p>NYBAMA, if your DS is a sports fan, suggest visiting Coleman Coliseum, it’s open during game days and see where BAMA men’s basketball plays…Coach A Grant is doing big things in basketball…ROLL TIDE</p>

<p>^ ironically the basketball team will be in NYC playing at Madison Square Garden.</p>

<p>BBQ is fantastic in Tuscaloosa no matter where you pick, I prefer Full Moon which has a really nice atmosphere. You do walk up to order and get a number but then they deliver your food to your table. There is a a much larger selection at Full Moon with some terrific collard greens and other side choices. I do like the ribs at Full Moon better. Although, I enjoy Dreamland (Northport) the menu is slimmer and the white bread and sauce is icky. I don’t like Wonderbread but that is just my opinion, I’ve tried it but the combo is just strange to me. However, the banana pudding is pretty good.</p>

<p>I did like the pizza at Mellow Mushroom but thought that the burgers were just okay at Mugshots. I do like ethnic and spicy food and think that an often overlooked restaurant is Yakamoz Turkish restaurant
(205) 345-7404</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa
2322 4th St<br>
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
try the salad, it is so good</p>

<p>This is right next to a really good German Bakery
Edelweiss German Bakery and Cafe
(205) 343-6545</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa
2324 4th Street<br>
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Edelweiss is great for a quick breakfast (to stay or go)
Pastries and cakes are European which translates to not overly sweet</p>

<p>Enjoy your visit and let us know how it went.
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^ yeah, the white bread is disappointing compared to what we’re used to in NY. Kinda like bread and butter at a Chinese restaurant (a bizarre experience in some places). The bbq joints up here tend to serve cornbread or something heartier than Wonder.</p>

<p>I like Full Moon better, but I do need to give the other Dreamland location a try. </p>

<p>I prefer Full Moon because I like a sweeter sauce.</p>

<p>BBQ was very good at Full Moon, but the fried green tomatoes were delish!</p>