"We invite you to make early application to University Honors"

<p>Hey, did anyone else on here get a letter from the honors program inviting you to apply for the honors program? It says on the letter that this has no effect on the outcome of my acceptance to the school, but is this any indication of admission to Tech?</p>

<p>I know at another well-respected University in Virginia (hehe) the students selected for the honors program are all sort of informally informed of their decision about this time in the same sort of manner.</p>

<p>thanks,
Brielin Brown</p>

<p>I also received that letter, and was wondering the same thing.</p>

<p>I got the same thing in Jan as well as an invitation to apply for the Davenport/Dean's scholarships (which had to be in Feb 5). Does this constitute a likely??? Wish someone from last year would post.</p>

<p>Any current Va Tech student around?</p>

<p>You have a good shot at being accepted to the university but not necessarily your preferred major.</p>

<p>VT Engineer: What do you mean by not necessarily your preferred major? Preference is engineering school - didn't select a specific major.</p>

<p>Does Va Tech send likely letters at all? I know the Davenport/Deans is announced March 1, but will anyone hear anything before then?</p>

<p>To give you an idea--youll most likely be accepted to the University. For the College of Engineering in particular the average stats for admitted freshman engineering students last year was: 3.9 GPA and 1360 SAT. If you have stats similar to those--you should be fine for being accepted to the engineering school. However, keep in mind that the engineering school has < 20 % acceptance rate.</p>

<p>Is the acceptance rate for engineering really that low? If thats true I had no idea.</p>

<p>Ha, and I was considering tech engineering a safety school (though i do have stats higher than those). Good thing I'm in at rpi, lol.</p>

<p>anyways, VT engineer are you in the honors program? Do you have a favorable opinion of it? It seems fairly interesting, tell me what you know :-).</p>

<p>If you have stats higher than those there is a GOOD chance that you will be accepted to the Honors Program and the College of Engineering--you have such good chances, I wouldnt worry at all. Its cool if you consider tech engineering a "safety" school but if you decide to come here you will most certainly be SHOCKED at the course load and difficulty...its ridiculous. </p>

<p>Almost ALL students accepted to the engineering program are offered acceptance to the honors program. I am not in the honors program(by choice :-) ) but I would imagine that it looks good on your resume. I just cant imagine the difficulty of taking honors classes on top of the classes that you have to take for the engineering curriculum.</p>

<p>I got this letter too, and I'm right near that those stats...gosh, I had no idea that they were that tough on the admissions. I have above that gpa but 40pnts below on the SAT.<br>
so...if I got the letter and I'm at the stats...am I in? now I'm getting worried...since you said it was that low of acceptance. :(</p>

<p>You should be fine. A lot of engineers that ive met have SAT scores similar to yours--just as long as your SAT math is >= 650. But keep in mind that the average person who applies to the Engineering school doesnt get in. ie. the average VT student couldnt get into the engineering school. I believe the avg GPA is 3.8 and SAT is like 1200 to be admitted to the University in general. But the College of Engineering last year definitely had an avg. GPA of 3.9 and 1360 SAT.</p>