We should arrange to meet sometime over orientation weekend

<p>For a drink at the Rath, or somewhere to meet in person and put faces to CC handles. Anyone going to the Honors receptio on Tuesday either themselves or with their kid?</p>

<p>Sounds like a good idea! I know there is a Parent Happy Hour scheduled for Sat. from 5-7 pm at the Rat. But how would we know each other?</p>

<p>Sorry...no honors reception here. LOL</p>

<p>What is the parents schedule for move-in weekend? Are there any arranged activities you know of?</p>

<p>We only live about 4hrs from campus, so I'm wondering for how many nights my mom should plan to stay over in Miami.</p>

<p>We received a parent orientation guide. It starts on saturday Aug. 19th with a parent welcome from 1:40-2:20 at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall Auditorium. Then there are interest sessions from 2:30-5:40 and then the Parent Happy Hour from 5-7 at the Rat. Sunday includes Presidents Brunch for parents at the Wellness Center from 9am-1:30pm. Also, 9:20-2:30 Adjusting to life as the parent of a college student in the wellness center.</p>

<p>I think spending at least the Friday and Saturday night would be good for your parents.</p>

<p>As far as how will we know each other at the Rat on Saturday at the parents reception, we could all carry roses in our tetth??????????????? OK, I would look stupid doing that. How about we get little name tag things to where on our shirts and just write a CC on it so we can identify each other from this board?</p>

<p>Tons of parents attend the events on Saturday, there were less on Sunday. Ideally, your mom could stay both nights, but if she didn't want to stay over Sat. night, she wouldn't miss much and you kids will be very busy from Sat. night on. We only saw S on Sunday for a quick 5 minute goodbye.</p>

<p>Are you parents planning on going back for Parents Weekend in October? We have plans to go for Thanksgiving week and are trying to decide if we are also going to PW. The chance to meet some of you may help sway the decision. We had a great time last year and even brought Grandma & Grandpa along.</p>

<p>We have plans to be down for Parent weekend but not for Thanksgiving. I thought maybe S would prefer to come home for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>No parents weekend for us, tough to do that from colorado for all of us. S also is coming home for Turkey Day.</p>

<p>I know this was discussed in many posts but, I can not seem to find this now,so if someone can tell me the best way to go about lofting a bed. I think i remember someone posting that upperclassman come around during move in times and offer services to build the lofts. then i recall someone saying you can buy lofting blocks at BB&B or home depot. Anyone know the best and cheapest way to loft a bed and is the size of the bed twin extra long? thanks.</p>

<p>Last year, we went for PW and S came home for fall break, T'day and also an unplanned trip during hurricane Wilma (school was closed for a week). </p>

<p>The PW football game is usually against a weaker team (last year Duke), although still alot of fun to attend. This year, our whole family was really looking forward to going down to attend a more competitive game and really wanted to see Miami/BC at the Orange Bowl. When the schedule came out and we saw that it was a Thanksgiving night game, we decided to try Thanksgiving, Miami style. We're going to split our time between Miami and Key West. This is the first time we will be away for a holiday, so it will be a new experience for us. I think ctmom's family is also attending as her D is in the band.</p>

<p>Thanks guys!</p>

<p>Turns out we've gotten the parent information in the mail, I just never knew about it lol.</p>

<p>Since we live only four hours away, I'm planning on comming home about 1 weekend a month.......and probably over Labor Day weekend depending on what I want at that time. Not sure if they'll come down for parent's weekend or not...guess we'll see!</p>

<p>She'll definitely stay the Friday night, and then we're not sure if she should drive back the Saturday evening or stay until Sunday. I don't really see the point in staying for Sunday but you never know. I'm the last one to leave the nest so she may want to stay for Sunday.... but then she won't really see me anyways....</p>

<p>As the parent of an incoming freshman I will be forever grateful to all the experts on Miami who have shared so much valuable information. You are all awesome!</p>

<p>LOL, don't thank me, S hasn't started yet (all I've done is a lot or reading and research). But I also thank all the parents of current students and the current students who have shared their wisdom here this Spring!!</p>

<p>Ditto!! Thanks everyone and good luck to all.</p>