Wearing Crimson & White to a Va Tech Tailgate

<p>My son attended the 'Bama-Va Tech game in Atlanta with three of his fraternity brothers. The Boy Scout Master of one of his brothers is a Va Tech alum, who invited the Alabama crew to a Hokie tailgate, held amidst dozens of other Hokie tailgates deep in “enemy territory.”</p>

<p>Being the only UA students in sight, the four brothers decided to be proactive and introduced themselves to the Va Tech students milling about. The result? They were welcomed with open arms and introduced to a game called Stump, featuring a tree stump that the Va Tech students had transported to Atlanta from Virginia.</p>

<p>In this game everyone taps a nail lightly into the stump. The players then form a circle. One player begins by tossing a hammer into the air. If it revolves once and s/he catches it (with one hand), the player gets to whack any opponent’s nail once. A double revolution that is caught is rewarded with two whacks, three with three, and so forth. Pounding an opponents nail flush into the stump is rewarded with another spin of the hammer, which is passed around the circle after each player’s turn until there’s only one nail standing–the winner’s nail. </p>

<p>I’m not sure, but there may have been some adult beverages involved in this contest. ;)</p>

<p>Anyway, I wanted to give props to the Va Tech students for their graciousness and class, a wonderful example of how intense rivalry and fellowship need not be mutually exclusive. </p>

<p>Roll Tide/Go Hokies! :)</p>

<p>Adult beverages + flying hammers = good thing Grady Hospital was just a few blocks away!</p>

<p>Lol, Southlander. I’m pleased to report that nobody ended up on the disabled list. :)</p>

<p>Boy Scouts were there…what’s to worry about?!</p>