Weather for driving back

<p>can any of you local peeps give me a rundown of the weather for sun, mon, tues.</p>

<p>i see that it says snow. then i just read up to 8". : O</p>

<p>kid is planning to drive there one of these days but we probably dont want her driving in snow. : (</p>

<p>Would appreciate to hear as well.</p>

<p>We’ll be departing South Louisiana early Sunday morning, and have to drive back to Louisiana same day. Expect to arrive in Ttown around Midday.</p>

<p>Thanks for keeping us posted!</p>

<p>I am a closet weather dork :slight_smile: and I’m wondering the same thing. James Spann is a Birmingham meteorologist who is well regarded. His blog is located at alabamawx.com but it is currently overloaded and they are adding capacity. His snowfall forecast for Tuscaloosa & Birmingham is astounding with 4-8 inches of snow. You can follow his forecast right now on his facebook page at: [James</a> Spann | Facebook](<a href=“Facebook”>James Spann) but he has a timeline on his blog that should be back up by 1pm.</p>

<p>fun start to the semester, no?</p>

<p>Blame it on Global Warming. /sarc</p>

<p>Lord have mercy on all returning students who are driving (and flying too I guess). This is going to be rather rough. I guess I’ll be leaving very early Sunday morning to beat the bad weather.</p>

<p>alabamawx.com is now back up & running. From the 12:46pm update: “If you have any plans to travel on the roads in north and central Alabama, you should try to do that before about 8 pm Sunday (+/-). Travel may be impossible Monday (and maybe Tuesday).”</p>

<p>My little southern heart just skipped a beat. D will definitely be leaving Sunday a.m. if I have to pack her up and carry her out to the car myself!</p>

<p>Be safe, guys! Snowball fights on the quad - fun, fun!</p>

<p>FYI: I just posted a question on his FB page asking about timing & the dorms reopening. I’ll post his answer here if he answers; he’s a little busy right now ;)</p>

<p>Does anyone know what happens with the shuttles from the airport when the weather is bad? S is scheduled to be on the 1:00 shuttle on Monday.</p>

<p>Just answered my own question on the airport shuttles…spoke to housing and they will be sending out an e-mail shortly with contingency plans and an emergency number to call the driver. She assured me no one will be stranded but shuttles may not run as scheduled exactly.</p>

<p>I’m scheduled to arrive in Birmingham Tuesday morning. I don’t mind being delayed due to weather, but it would nice to be back in my dorm room compared to sleeping in an airport.</p>

<p>I’m thinking that it’s time for the State of Alabama and local governments to invest in some snow plows, sand, and salt. If anything, you can take the plows off during the summer and the snow plow trucks become dump trucks.</p>

<p>Thanks for the shuttle info, sabres1. S will be flying in on Mon. as well, and is scheduled to catch the 1pm shuttle. I sure hope the roads will be passable and safe but the snow forecast has me worried. </p>

<p>The irony of it all is that when I booked his flight, I looked for a transfer in a southern state (Orlando) to minimize delays due to snow and ice (Chicago, Baltimore). I never would have thought that I would be worried about snow in Alabama, while we have a forecast for clear skies in Pittsburgh on Monday. Go figure!</p>

<p>Make sure you send your flight info as a reply to the email - they will be tracking the flights in…</p>

<p>This is all jacked up, Southwest will reschedule for free if you are flying into BHM, so I found an early Sunday flight… then realized there is no UA shuttle on Sunday.</p>

<p>Anyone want to consider rescheduling their SW flight to fly in Sunday 1ish and sharing a ride of some sort?</p>

<p>S is scheduled to fly into Bhm Monday night. Do we know if flights will get in? or do they think airport may be closed? Debating rescheduling flight to Tuesday (adds 3 hours and extra stop to his travel)</p>

<p>Can he get in early enough to beat the storm sun? We are kind of banking on that being a better chance weather-wise? Sounds like storm is early evening</p>

<p>Bless your hearts. Welcome to the South. Just wait until it’s Hurricane Season.</p>

<p>I’m glad Southwest is giving breaks for changing flights. </p>

<p>Wishing you all safe travels.</p>

<p>He can’t get flight and also has special get together with h.s. friends on Sunday night. Looked at switching for Tues. (one option - longggggg day) but looks like he wants to take his chances on Monday flight. Putting together airport hotel options, Pheonix looks covered, any suggestions for BHM airport hotel if roads are not safe. </p>

<p>Well he got his wish - snow, however, I think he was hoping to be at school when it hit.</p>

<p>socal, there is a Holiday Inn very close to the airport along with a couple of other hotels. Depending on when the shuttle arrives, sleeping in the Birmingham Airport would be possible and I’d doubt they’d kick people out during a snowstorm.</p>

<p>I believe anyone who does get stuck at the airport will have plenty of companions, given the number of people who are flying in. Best of luck to everyone! I’m driving back on Saturday, which i guess is today. I need to sleep…</p>