Weather for driving back

<p>My D left ATL early yesterday morning, because she said she would rather be snowed in with her Bama friends than her family! We weren’t offended, but did enjoy sending her pics of our 6-7 inches of snow! They were disappointed that they couldn’t play in the snow on the Quad!</p>

<p>We made it.</p>

<p>Roads are mostly fine . Bridges are not.</p>

<p>They are letting kidsinto the garages but not out. Ha!</p>

<p>Hmm now where should we eat?</p>

<p>whew, glad you made it MikeW…</p>

<p>Happy to hear that, Mike! I’ve also been following your progress on pins and needles and breathed a huge sigh of relief when I read that. Thanks for the update!</p>

<p>Thanks for letting us know you got there Mike; we were worried!</p>

<p>MikeW: Glad that you arrived safe and sound. If you are staying on campus or in the area, please keep us advised about the weather, driving and walking conditions. Thanks and best wishes for a better drive home.</p>

<p>the roads here are fine except for the bridges. some of those are closed. the temp on our car thermometer was 39, so maybe it is getting better here. though it just came across the tv that some roads are re-freezing. so as temperatures drop, the roads deteriorate.</p>

<p>the sidewalks are mostly fine but there are some slushy/salty areas.</p>

<p>there is a smattering of snow around, but not enough to ply in or make it pretty.</p>

<p>we were looking for a place to eat and found a lot of places closed. we ended up eating at bentos, which was good.</p>

<p>lots of the places are closed. best buy, longhorn steak house, tcby, for example.</p>

<p>we will spend the night and then leave tomorrow.</p>

<p>katie’s roomies are all here safely.</p>

<p>Does anyone know whether the UA airport shuttle is in operation? I wonder if kids have had to wait it out at the airport with roads as bad as they are. </p>

<p>S is leaving early Tues. morning and we’re hoping he beats the snow forecast for here at home. He’s due to arrive before noon in T-town. Hope the shuttles are running regularly by then.</p>

<p>Sophocles - UA shuttle did not go this afternoon/night, but heard those students were being housed at hotel until tomorrow. </p>

<p>However, on the bright side S should have no problem tomorrow. </p>

<p>My S flew in tonight and was on E-Shuttle at 9PM with numerous other students, they drove out to UA with no problems (shuttle was going to turn back if it was icy) and they’re probably all asleep by now in their dorms. </p>

<p>Best wishes for good weather to all.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update, socal. </p>

<p>Glad to learn that the stranded students are safely housed in a warm hotel. Good to hear also that your son’s shuttle did not have any travel issues. </p>

<p>We figured that things would return to some semblance of normalcy by Tues. but will still worry until we get the call that he arrived back safely.</p>

<p>whew!! So glad everyone made it back safely!!</p>

<p>This has been an incredible few days but the information here has been invaluable. Thanks to all who posted! What an incredible group of parents and students :)</p>

<p>I’m glad everyone made it back safely(well relatively MG). They were saying that we were going to get a few inches from this storm up in NE earlier in the week, but now they have upped it to 8-12+ eek. Add that to the 8-10 we have already, wow. We went many years with hardly any snow at all. Getting ready for my favorite part - the hunkering down. It’s nice to spend some of these at home times with my S since you realize there aren’t too many left before he heads to 'bama in Aug. My mom isn’t doing very well at all and I’m sure I will have to go out during the storm but she is only up the road a mile or so thank goodness.
RT everyone</p>

<p>Idinct, where are you in the NE? I am originally from Massachusetts (Greater Boston), and, when I was a kid, I used to pray for snow. Now I am snow-averse, LOL. </p>

<p>We’ve lived in NC for 21 years. We’re way off the beaten path, so road never gets plowed, much less salted or brined. (So different from NE in that respect!) We got a few inches yesterday. Have been working at home yesterday and today…feeling really guilty about not being on-site, although I have a tip-top attendance record. (But I work for a control freak, and she really knows how to push my guilt-buttons. Have reported to her for 11-plus years…acccccck. OK, enough with the saga of my life, LOL.)</p>

<p>Hope your mom feels better!! Happy hunkering!</p>

<p>LadyDia
We are from CT, we are getting hammered so far this year. The benefits of being unemployed, not worrying about having to drive in the storm, but I would have “worked from home” anyway if the offices were even open. My mom is very old/very sick but thank you for your kind words. We are grateful she is comfortable. My S just texted me that he wants to go up to see her as soon as he gets home. He is very sweet and the only one that asked. I will have to keep it together for his sake.
Refresh my memory please, is your S or D already at 'bama or making plans for next year? My S is ready to Roll Tide.</p>

<p>I just arrived this afternoon. I booked myself on a total of 5 flights to get back to UA (Palm Springs to Birmingham via Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Orlando, and Memphis) and all of them were on time. I had booked the 1PM airport shuttle, but looked outside at 11AM and saw a Crimson Ride bus, so I was able to get back to campus by 1PM. My checked bag got stuck in Memphis, but Delta is having it delivered to me this evening. I’m glad everyone is getting back to campus despite the weather delays, car trouble/accidents and flight cancellations.</p>

<p>Now if the textbooks I ordered would arrive…</p>

<p>Son is stranded at the airport in Charlotte. Flight to BHM was cancelled, so he’ll spend the night at the airport, where all the cots have been already handed out and all the hotel rooms occupied. The floor, however, is all his. :)</p>

<p>That said, he’s being a trooper about it and is booked on a flight tomorrow morning. Looks like he’ll miss most of his classes on Wednesday.</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Yikes, Malanai! sounds like a real adventure - one that he’ll be able to look back and laugh about down the road.</p>

<p>And thanks for jumping off the surfboard long enough to give everyone an update. I know you are suffering through winter like the rest of us ~</p>

<p>aloha!</p>

<p>Bama just sent an email saying that they understand if students can’t make it to school tomorrow. </p>

<p>Profs have been told to make allowances for students who can’t get to campus on time.</p>

<p>Those who will be late getting to campus do need to email their profs to tell them.</p>