Weather for driving back

<p>Idinct, sorry to hear that your mom isn’t doing well. </p>

<p>Wow…all the stories… Our boys made it back yesterday early evening (finally). The roads were clear and they were driving a 4 wheel drive car, so I felt a little better about them making the trip.</p>

<p>Well, I hope the kids are able to settle down and have a good start to this semester. :)</p>

<p>Son just landed at BHM and has the distinct pleasure of waiting there a few more hours until the shuttle takes him back to T-Town. He assures me that he’ll use the time to conduct a thorough comparative study of the environmental merits and demerits of the concourses at BHM vs CLT. Those interested will be able to read the results when they are published by the Birmingham League of Environmental Historians (BLEH).</p>

<p>In keeping with Murphy’s Law, the myBama e-mail links to his professors haven’t been working and his bags did not arrive with him this morning. Naturally, they contain his warmest winter garb. In the end, though, I think I’m more anguished than he is. When I tried to offer my sympathies last night he gave me the stoic’s reply: “No worries, Dad. Weather happens.”</p>

<p>LOL, malanai! BLEH – love it.</p>

<p>This just in: son reports his bags have finally arrived at BHM. And we can’t really blame the airline for the snafu. After all, his 16 hour layover at CLT wasn’t nearly enough time for them to figure out which of their two flights to BHM this morning was his. :)</p>

<p>Tranquility Base. The Eagle has landed. 37 hours door to door, one hour longer than it took the Soviet Luna 1, the first successful lunar mission, to reach the moon on a fly-by in 1959.</p>

<p>Thanks again, y’all, for all your support and good info. </p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Malanai: Glad to hear your son arrived safely. Wish he would have been routed through RDU. Maybe keep that in mind for next time. Sounds to me that your son and other honors students will be eligible for that Honors Seminar (UH-BLEH) worth 2 credit hours. The course description in the catalog seems to fit what you described. (An exploration of the inner workings of the bowels of all major airports east of the Mississippi past closing time). What did you book him on, an open cockpit biplane? 37 hours?? Do jets fly into Hawaii? Or was my assumption in an earlier thread correct, jets can’t land on those small islands? </p>

<p>Glad everybody is now where they need to be! Have a great semester and one can only hope that the Cam Newton goes pro and that the NCAA forces Auburn to vacate their wins. Time will tell!</p>

<p>^^^LOL. Love ya, BB.</p>

<p>Y’all are so funny! The Bama Parental Unit Community is obviously very special. :)</p>

<p>Wow, just catching up on this site and read everyone’s trials and tribulations making it back! Glad everyone has finally arrived!</p>

<p>malanai - So glad your son is the easy going guy he is! I would have gotten a lot of whiney phone calls if my daugther had to go through that.</p>

<p>Happy New Year, everyone! Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>LadyDianeski: Oh no! Now you’ve gone and done it! Lord knows what acronym Malanai will come up with for BPUC. </p>

<p>Malanai: As a follow up, Sean missed a few airports. Next time, on booking his itinerary, don’t forget New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, …! Very colorful experiences after closing.</p>

<p>OMG Malani, lucky your S was excited to get where he was going.</p>

<p>I finally got a chance to talk today to a hs buddy who’s D goes to 'bama. She isn’t leaving until tomorrow am. We got 20 inches of snow last night, so there wasn’t any good time to leave in the last several days. She is driving with a couple of other girls from here- 20+ hours. Wow, she told me there are a dozen or so kids from our town at 'bama. Who knew, I think 6 or so freshman this year.</p>

<p>I don’t know how I will feel about the driving. First semester is definitely a no, possibly not until Soph or Jr year. But, I was thinking that he wouldn’t bring the car home for winter break since the drive was so long, or is it not even allowed to leave the car on campus. Probably not, now that I think of it. I was a wreck with my older 2 and a 5 hour drive, D has no sense of direction and there was always some drama with the weather. Oh well, let’s not start worrying already.</p>

<p>Dd made it back ok, She got into bham last night about 5pm, and was scheduled for the 8 pm UA shuttle . . which unfortunately didn’t leave until 10:40pm, so she didn’t get in to bama until about midnight. So 6.5 hour wait for the shuttle, relatively minor compared to everyone’s else’s stories here.</p>

<p>mom of four…so glad to hear that your D made it back safely.</p>

<p>BTW…my OC nephew is arriving tomorrow night for his tour of Bama. :)</p>

<p>I can’t imagine the state having another storm like this for a long time. This is the first I’ve ever seen snow like this here.</p>

<p>Seriously…we normally only get some flurries and maybe an inch (at most) of snow…which is usually gone by noon. </p>

<p>Getting several inches (I think our city got about 8 inches) is just unbelievable for us. </p>

<p>For the first time in my life, I had to take snow off of a car. I used a push broom…lol</p>

<p>I’m hope everyone is back on campus safely by now, and things are returning to normal in Alabama. H and I are traveling to T-Town on Tuesday to see the Cats take on the Tide at Coleman Coliseum. It will be a quick trip, with almost no time to see DD. It was much easier cheaper to get basketball tickets at Bama than at Rupp. Even though we had to purchase 2 other games to get Kentucky. Bama is definitely a football school, and Ky a basketball one.</p>

<p>For those into trivia, Bear Bryant coached at UK before he went to UA. Too much competition with Coach Rupp and the basketball program. Big mistake on UK 's part, the rest is history. Also Alabama has the second winningest basketball program in the SEC, behind UK.</p>

<p>CM Newton, was a former UK player under Rupp, who later coached basketball at Alabama. He recruited UA’s first black player, and later became UK’s Athletic director. I think his son and family still live in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>This is probably more than anyone wanted to know, but I love the UK/UA connection.</p>

<p>Go Cats, and Roll Tide</p>

<p>Thanks, momfour, for letting us know your girl arrived safely. Hope all our west coast, east coast, midwest, and middle of the Pacific friends arrived safely.</p>

<p>Is Ridgecrest South the closest to the strip and grocery? S won’t have a car initially and I feel he will be frequenting the Asian restaurant on the strip as well as the Pita Pit. You would think the ginormous freshman meal plan would be enough, but he is a late eater.</p>

<p>Yes it is, but Ridgecrest East and West are steps away from Ridgecrest South. D is a frequent visitor to Publix & has no trouble carrying her groceries home, although she will take the bus if she’s bringing back a 12 pack of soda.</p>

<p>My son would tell your son that he does not need a car. So many students have wheels that usually you can bum a ride to Publix if you have a lot of stuff to get or somewhere in T-Town (the Mall, Target or Wal-mart, as examples).</p>

<p>After visiting, my D actually decided NOT to bring her car (which shocked us!). She said she wanted to try the first semester without it and then will decide if she needs it. One less worry for us!</p>