Weather Question

<p>OK, so I followed the advice of some posters here and have been following James Spann on Facebook…and I am starting to regret it! Is there always this much rain this time of year? And tornado warnings? And lightning? And flooding? It seems like the warnings are constant! </p>

<p>Just wondering what DS is in for next year…</p>

<p>I will say, though, that James Spann posts the most gorgeous pics sometimes. :)</p>

<p>By the way, I do realize that not all of the warnings cover Tuscaloosa. Seems like plenty of them do, though.</p>

<p>Most of what’s been going on for the past week is a result of Isaac, so no this is not “normal.” As for the tornadoes, to my knowledge, Tuscaloosa hasn’t had a tornado warning yet, they’ve all been watches which mean that tornadoes could form because the conditions are favorable but none have formed yet.</p>

<p>I was wondering the same thing, Lisa6191. Seems like more rainy days than good weather days so far!</p>

<p>But October and November are glorious! And the northern kids are going to giggle all through the winter ;)</p>

<p>Keep in mind when you see a watch or warning that the counties in Alabama are much larger than in many states. A watch or warning may be for Tuscaloosa county, but actually be 45 minutes or so away from the UA. There was a tornado watch (conditions are favorable for tornadoes) yesterday for north Tuscaloosa county is the area around Lake Tuscaloosa in the Samantha area. The UA wasn’t included in that area since it is a good distance away.</p>

<p>yes, we’ve had more rain lately because of Isaac. No it’s not normal to have this much rain - especially this time of the year. Often we have a DROUGHT and the farmers are complaining. </p>

<p>Frankly, usually the first week of Sept is quite warm (no rain at all), and then cools down mid-Sept. </p>

<p>When you live in the South, you learn which weather issues to pay attention to and which ones don’t affect you. As mentioned above…counties are quite large here in area, so a thunderstorm warningn or whatever that includes your county may mean nothing to you. </p>

<p>I have lived in Alabama for several years now and the weather is not a concern…not at all.</p>

<p>I agree. The weather across the country has been a bit unusual for the past year or so, but weather in Alabama isn’t usually a concern.</p>

<p>Speaking of Isaac, has anyone heard from Slippy since the hurricane made landfall?</p>

<p>Thanks all, I feel better. :)</p>

<p>Bamagirls is right…the weather across the entire country has been very weird for the last couple of years…lots of snow in some areas, snow in areas that rarely get snow, extreme cold, then extreme heat…the weather has been all over the place in the USA for the past 2 years. </p>

<p>Tuscaloosa actually got “real snow” a couple of years ago (not just flurries, but enough to accumulate on the ground for a couple of inches!)</p>

<p>I was going going to ask the same thing. I saw a post from Montegut but was wondering about Slippy. Any news from him?</p>

<p>I’ve seen a Geaux Tigers and something about Slippy’s son’s jammies, so fortunately all must be well with him.</p>

<p>Okay, since you asked… (and thanks for asking)…</p>

<p>Tuesday night into Wednesday morning was miserable. We had a breach in our roof just as the power went out. Water poured in. Also had a couple windows basically lose their seals in the face of hurricane-force winds for 14 hours straight. We figured out pretty quickly that we could not keep up with the mopping. So the next day when the wind subsided, we finally mopped up the lake that was out kitchen and den.</p>

<p>They said it would be 4-7 days to get power back. So on Thursday we packed up the kids and the dogs and drove to my parents’ house in Shreveport. We came home yesterday, and I was told that the power came back on late Sunday nght. </p>

<p>Our wood floor is buckled. We have baseboards separating from the walls, and there is mold growing in places. Hole in my roof has already been fixed. Need some new windows, though. </p>

<p>After dealing with the aftermath of Katrina, this is small potatoes. It’s just stuff. Family is fine.</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear your family is well, Slippy. My kids are so tired of the rain here that even their new rain boots aren’t making them do the happy dance anymore when they look outside. I know we need the rain, but a little peak of sun would be nice, too. :slight_smile: I guess we should just be thankful the rain is all we have to complain about here. :)</p>

<p>You’re a trouper, slippy. Glad you’re ok.</p>

<p>Geaux Tide! :)</p>

<p>Yeah, this rain is from the remnants of Issac moving back south into the Gulf of Mexico. I was reading James Spann’s weather blog, and he mentioned how it’s not the out of the realm of possibility for what he calls the “ghost of Issac” to reorganize into a new tropical storm once it’s over the gulf. Wouldn’t that be crazy??!</p>

<p>Slippy…</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about the damage to your home. Now onto dealing with the insurance companies…hope that goes smoothly for you.</p>