weather?

<p>I am from SoCal and have literally never been in 40 degree weather let alone negative 40 degree weather with a wind chill. Wisconsin sounds awesome. It seems like a perfect, well rounded, spirited university. The only thing that is stopping me is the weather... </p>

<p>How cold does it actually get? Does life just stop during the winter? Is it hard to walk to your classes and such when it is so cold? Coming from cali would you recommend coming to the midwest or staying in california? </p>

<p>thank youuu</p>

<p>It gets very cold on some days.(below 0 actual temp) Life goes on. On weekends people still go out and party. You ski, ice skate, and play in the snow. Last week it was over 70, today in the 30's. It might not hit 70 again until Spring.</p>

<p>It gets damn cold but you end up getting used to it. Everyone is in the same situation so it's not like people stop going out or anything. You can still have a lot of fun in the winter.</p>

<p>I lived in Orange County for 10 years. You definitely can adjust to the Wisconsin weather. It's great to be able to live in another part of the country and branch out from your comfort zone.</p>

<p>My daughter was raised in California and is in her second year at UW. She went through last winter with record snowfall and did fine. One difference is students can dress for the weather. You adjust to it and accept it as part of the package. I know a number of other students at UW from California and they wear the winter weather as a badge of honor...</p>

<p>It can't be as bad as last year, I think.</p>

<p>thank you! </p>

<p>so overall the weather is something that you can get used to? also, how many months of the year is the weather below zero for the most part? </p>

<p>for those from california, or the west coast...</p>

<p>Is it hard being so far away from home? is the weather a tough adjustment? is it hard since most people are from the mid west?</p>

<p>to the parent who has a child at wisco...</p>

<p>Does she miss california? did she choose wisconsin over the UCs?</p>

<p>There will be some below zero days, but it's not 'months'.</p>

<p>Cold weather is more conducive to staying indoors and studying/doing homework. There are plenty of sunny days in winter, and if it snows you don't get wet like in the rain. You adjust to weather- now 30's seem cold, in late winter they seem balmy. People try to stay indoors in extremes of both heat and cold, at least you can add clothes for comfort in winter to enjoy the outdoors. The temperatures usually go below freezing (32 F) for weeks at a time, but rarely below 0 F. There is often a midwinter thaw- literally warm enough where snow melts- then it gets below freezing again. There are plenty of hills to sled down (cafeteria trays work well) and other outdoor activities unique to snowy climates. Last year was a record one for snow, often snow doesn't make an impact until second semester (Christmas may or may not be "white") and is melting the end of March. They do clear the streets and sidewalks as it snows, no shutting down campus even when the public K-12 schools close except rarely (every 25 years or so- once during my 4 years there eons ago). Son owns boots that he has yet to take to campus.</p>

<p>Happy to help. Last year was the worst winter in Madison history, so ignore that one. Right now in Milwaukee, WI it is about 45-50 and grey/rainy...a little colder day than typical this time of year. Often, you can get some snow in December, but could also have a Xmas without snow. You'll miss some cold weather in January if you go back home for break, but yes January/February/March can have days when windchill is way below normal. But some years, not as bad. It is by no means as rough of a winter as Minneapolis, and alittle less wind than Chicago, but probably a little more snow and just a little colder. It is really the northern half of WI that is really tough...polar fronts usually dip half way down into the state of WI, and there can be a difference. But fall and springs are really great and the lake make it so beautiful. But, you'll want a big NorthFace and some good walking/warm boots for sure to get back/forth to class. Darkness can get a little old cuz of day light savings time changes, and causes a little seasonal depression for even the hardiest. (Get away in January and for sure somewhere warm for Spring Break. If the darkness gets to you, get a "fake sun" lamp to study with. But again, even darker in Mpls cuz further north. Opposite of course in summer. If you like to ski, great day trip hills right around Madison..Christmas Mountain, Devils Head. Need an escape...take a bus to Milwaukee, or Ohare to go to Chicago.</p>

<p>Wow. Thanks so much for this thread. Son wants to go to Marquette, and we live in New Orleans. Worried how he'll handle the cold. He really does want seasons and snow, though, which it sounds like he'll get. Thanks for the advice on the boots. What's a big NorthFace? Can you tell I'm from the south?</p>

<p>NorthFace is a brand of clothing. Seems like all the cool kids have some type of NorthFace jacket.</p>

<p>The</a> North Face - Gear - Men's -> Jackets & Vests -> Insulated / M All Terrain Triclimate Jacket</p>

<p>honestly, thank you all for your time and help, i really appreciate it. </p>

<p>hope you dont mind if i ask a couple more questions...</p>

<p>is it depressing when you dont see the sun for a couple of days?...i cant even imagine that</p>

<p>also about how far of a drive is chicago from madison?</p>

<p>SUP my daughter did not apply to the UCs...She wanted to go to a good university with D1 sports and this only meant Cal and UCLA in California...She had good grades but as you know these schools want almost 4.0 GPAs. Her adjustment to UW has been pretty easy. For most students the excitement of year one helps...Coming to Madison as an incoming freshman is amazing with football season and summer on a lake. By the time the weather starts getting cold she is looking forward to Thanksgiving break. There is less than a month of December in school before Winter break. 7 weeks of cold before Spring Break and after this the weather starts getting better. Tolerable...yes. For someone who comes home to California for breaks, easy. It sounds like your bigger question is whether you want to go to school out-of-state. I would highly encourage it...especially if you have never lived elsewhere. You will experience wonderful people, warm friendships, and a lifestyle that many people find hard to leave after four years in Madison.</p>

<p>Sup - you know how your overcast weather in June is called June Gloom - - do you find that depressing? It's not that you don't see the sun in winter, you just have to get used to seeing your breath! In fact, when it is very cold, it is too cold to snow and the skies are blue.</p>

<p>Above very true. It was gloomy in Orange County CA, no sunshine for several days, on our last vist in a February a couple of years ago. Sure the temps were in the 60's, but it still felt depressing, especially in miles and miles of boring, flat city after city. Northface is only one brand of outerwear. There's also Columbia. If you come north it may be a good idea to purchase the winter jacket, hat, gloves et al here where the selection is good and after you have had a chance to discuss with the locals. Definitely better weather in Wis than MN or Iowa, and south versus north central WI. The drive to Chicago is around 2 1/2 hours. However, very few people have cars on campus- no parking, or very expensive and you won't be driving around campus. There is a bus many people take from O'Hare to campus for trips at peak times- you can find this info on the UW website and during SOAR next summer.</p>

<p>Well I went straight from Madison to Thousand Oaks, CA for work for four years. Unlike Orange County, the area around TO and out to Malibu is one of the most beautiful on earth. Mountains, little development, and then the ocean. And the weather was just wonderful most of the year. June gloom is a beach thing. We had sun most of the winter, spring, summer and fall. Did I say it was wonderful? We still go back every winter to escape the Seattle gloom. Now THAT is gloom. Sitting outside sipping a coffee reading the paper in January is not shabby. </p>

<p>It is never below zero for months in Madison. Worst might be a few days straight and it does tend to be sunny when really cold. The best cure is cross-country skiing. Even Zero can feel warm after 10 minutes.</p>

<p>Hey cdbunz... It sounds like your daughter has similar view points as I do. I am from CA too, and want a big school, good academics, and sports. My grades dont quite get into Cal so Im looking here. Nice to hear she is having fun and it sounds encouraging. Concerning the weather, I like it as it has the more defined 4 seasons which sounds appealing.</p>

<p>Lastly, some people mentioned skiing. I though Wisconsin was mostly flat, but you could correct me hehe.</p>

<p>No no no - Illinois is flat, Wisconsin has glacier-formed hills which make for enjoyable downhill skiing. ("Hills", not mountains). Cross country skiing is also popular.</p>

<p>Wisconsin's landscape is beautiful. So much Glaciation. You should see just east of Madison, near the Mississippi River Valley, by LaCrosse, it's incredible! To the north the rolling hills and rock formations are world renowned.</p>