Weekend Fun?

<p>I am not into "clubbing" at South Beach and am afraid that if I go to Miami, most of the kids end of doing this on weekends, which can get boring and expensive. School is expensive enough and don’t want t have to shell out big money every weekend. Can anyone tell me if this is true or what typical weekends for students are?</p>

<p>Me too!! I love clubbing but I'm not a clubber all the time I'd do it once a month if even.<br>
I'm curious to know also.</p>

<p>Okay well I'm bored so I'll type some stuff up for you guys. I don't go to Miami, but I'm getting this information from my College Prowl.er Guide to UMiami.</p>

<p>For bars...you might need a fake ID...but here's what the book says.</p>

<p>The Sandbar (coconut grove) - There is a lot of theme nights, like the white trash bash on tuesdays with $1.50 cans. And on thursdays (it's biggest night) there is a late night happy hour from 2-5am with $2 bottles.</p>

<p>The Tavern (coconut grove) - Lenient ID chekcing and all-you-can-drink on Monday nights for $10. </p>

<p>Titanic - Right next to campus and no cover charge and no minimum age for entry. </p>

<p>House Parties - the house parties in Miami are not as popular as those other colleges because of the competition provided by local clubs and bars. But there are still usually a few worthy parties every weekend on Ponce (the street bordering campus) or in the local neighborhoods where many off-campus students live.</p>

<p>Greek life isn't too big but they do occasionally hose parties at their houses, but it can't compete with the bars and clubs of Miami. </p>

<p>And then the book talks about organizational parties that the newspaper and radio station have. They will announce them to everybody and put fliers all around campus.</p>

<p>But basically it seems that Coconut Grove is the most popular...followed by South Beach...then house parties...and then the Greeks. </p>

<p>If you want me to type up anything else about anything on campus...it's all in the book.</p>

<p>It doesn't seem like there are a lot of Miami students on this forum so I guess college prowl.er is a decent substitution.</p>

<p>From what I hear my son say, and he is not into clubbing in S. Beach....it's mostly Coconut Grove, house parties or Frat parties on the weekends. Weekends start on Thursdays BTW.</p>

<p>Current student at UMiami. Actually just transferred from the University of Maryland. </p>

<p>Nightlife is very different than Maryland. The weekend is basically every night of the week. If you live in Hecht/Stanford Residential Colleges, it will not be hard to find a group of students on any night who are going to Coconut Grove or South Beach. Quite a few of the students are promoters for some of the major South Beach clubs, such as Mansion and Cameo. Each night of the week, there is one club that sponsors (Wednesdays BED, Friday Mansion, Saturday Cameo, etc).</p>

<p>If you're not into "clubbing", then there is plenty else to do. Words of advice are get involved in a few clubs that really interest you to meet people who share similar interests. At Maryland, I was a heavy house/frathouse partier, but have toned down quite a bit at Miami since the offerings in that department is not as popular. But there's places of interest like Shops at Sunset Place, many attractions in Miami (Miami Heat games, Bayside, Dolphin Mall, nice night out in South Beach without the expensive clubbing). </p>

<p>However, if you're looking for a university that has a more developed fraternity life, then you may want to look elsewhere. Vanderbilt, UF FSU are just some of the many schools.</p>

<p>But, if partying is a necessity and one of the joys of college you look forward to, then you'll definitely want to purchase a fake ID as soon as possible (before or right when you get to UM).</p>

<p>in regards to purchasing a fake id, just remember its a federal offense in florida</p>

<p>It's a federal offense nationwide now dude.</p>

<p>Exactly why I'm not going to risk my perfect criminal record and purchase one.....NOT!</p>

<p>FYI:</p>

<p>It's not a felony if it doesn't have your picture on it....so using someone else's ID is only a misdemeanor. This law was passed as a measure of national security, not as a way to get underage drinkers in trouble.</p>

<p>Who cares either way, unless you are dumb enough to show the police your fake ID and try to get away with it the most a bar will do is take it from you. I tried using an asian person's on st. pattys day :D</p>

<p>Is it actually illegal to have one? i know where I live..vegas.. it is NOT illegal to have a fake. its just what you do with your fake that makes it a federal offense</p>

<p>In Michigan its actually illegal to have one, I don't know about Florida. It is actually illegal to even have more than one of your own drivers license.</p>

<p>I don't know if HAVING one is illegal, but using one is a felony. What good is having one if you're not gonna use it?</p>

<p>just having one is a felony down here</p>

<p>it's not always about clubbing or going to bars. you can go to one of the many movie theaters/malls in miami, go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, maybe if you can scrounge up some $30 or so you can take a trip to the planetarium if you're into that, there really are a lot of things to do. and anyway south beach isn't just for clubbing, you can also take a free trip to the actual beach itself if you're interested. all you have to pay for is parking or the metro.
there's always festivals and concerts going on. this time of year there's the fair, last weekend was ULTRA, last month there was marleyfest. obviously all of these things cost money, hahaah but there are still things to do.</p>