Weekends in Geneseo

<p>I was wondering if any current students could tell me what the students usually do on the weekends? I am aware its a small town. What do they do for fun?</p>

<p>Current first-year student here. Most students end up going to the IB (the In-Between, a bar/club – aptly named for its location between the campus and Main St.) or house parties, which are usually affiliated with sports teams or Greek organizations. Overall, the party scene is pretty weak here. Students who have cars might drive to Rochester for shopping, movies, etc. Oh yeah, a lot of students study too.</p>

<p>Thanks ravidrim…I think I may let my daughter take her car if she ends up there.</p>

<p>Geneseo is literally in the middle of nowhere. A car would be a huge plus, as there is not much by, in the way of shopping or entertainment.</p>

<p>Yeah I have been up there. My son is away at college and he has more things by him and still complains there is not a ton to do. I guess its what you make of it.</p>

<p>I definitely agree that a car is a good idea. Last year I didn’t have one, and it was pretty annoying taking the bus places. It makes it easier to get groceries, and go to Rochester for a change of pace. As far as what people do on the weekends, I’m really involved in Greek life so I pretty much have something to do every weekend. I know the school puts on a lot of Late Knight events. Some of them are pretty fun, but others have been kind of lame. It really depends. Personally, I’ve never been bored on the weekends.</p>

<p>@karategirl Thanks for the info. I know my daughter is interested in Greek Life. How many sororities are there?</p>

<p>There are about 15 or so. Three of them are multicultural and I honestly don’t know much about them. There is also Gamma which is co-ed and APO which is a co-ed service fraternity.</p>

<p>where are most of the sorority and fraternity houses located?</p>

<p>They’re located on the streets around campus, all within walking distance. Most of them are on Wadsworth, Court, and Orchard. There are also a bunch scattered on other streets around town. None of them are more than a five minute walk from my dorm, but they’re a bit farther from south side where most people live freshmen year. A lot of people take the drunk bus to get there since there are stops right by the streets.</p>

<p>any recommendations on which dorms to stay in freshman year?</p>

<p>Corridor-style is probably best for freshman year. I lived in Wayne but it was really small and I didn’t care for it. Onondaga is all freshmen and a lot of people really like it. If you don’t want to live on south side, they just renovated Monroe and it’s awesome. Livingston and Steuben are also on central campus but they aren’t as good for freshmen since there are a lot of upperclassmen. Personally, I would go with Daga if I could do it over again.</p>

<p>Thx Karate…so would you do Daga first? Then Nassau, Suffolk ,Niagra? Livingston? I think we need to pick 3.</p>

<p>I’d say Daga first, then Niagara since I heard it’s going to be all freshmen next year, then after that it’s up to you whether you’d want to put a corridor like Livingston or a suite like Nassau or Suffolk.</p>

<p>thanks Karate for that info…will be Daga & Niagara and we will go look when we are there. I would just think her being on the south side may be best to meet freshman even in the dining hall ect. We’ re excited to come up this week!</p>

<p>How far of a walk is it from South Campus to the academic buildings? I heard or saw somewhere that there were shuttle buses that took students into town and even into Rochester - is this true? If my daughter goes she won’t have a car and I want to see how easy is it to get around with no car.</p>

<p>is there a gym for students?</p>

<p>@akmom1967 I am heading there on Wednesday…I plan on walking from southside and looking at the south side dorms…Ill let you know asap…
@atibett from my last visit there I saw a gym …was nothing fancy but there and I am gonna check it out this week again!!
I think Ill let my daughter take her car. We will drive it up move in day and keep it there until she moves back. Id rather her fly back or take the bus back for breaks. Its an older car so I dont mind. I’ll have it fully checked out before we leave. I just put 4 new tires on so why not right? This way she can get to walmart go to the mall, wegmans and help out some friends too.</p>

<p>@akmom. It’s about a 7-10 minute walk to most academic buildings from south side and probably 15 minutes from one side of campus to the other. There is a shuttle bus with a lot of stops around campus and up in town. A lot of students use it to go to Wegmans and Walmart. Friday-Sunday there is also a bus that goes to Rochester.</p>

<p>@atibett there is a gym on campus. There is a very large weight room that also has treadmills in it and then a smaller cardio room with free weights, ellipticals, bikes, arc trainers, etc. It’s included in the room and board fees.</p>

<p>@GCmom - have a great trip! Are you going for the parent reception the night before? I don’t think I will be able to do it next due to length of travel time for us. My daughter doesn’t want to miss more than 1 day of school so we will leave after school on Monday and won’t get in until about 8 that night. We are near NYC and I know there is a flight to Rochester that you can get most of the time for about $120 round trip so we will probably be doing that. (assuming my daughter picks it - she has 2 others still on the list but financially this is best for us).</p>