Wesleyan ends legacy admissions

They aren’t “less qualified” as a group, but they’re “less qualified” than the non-legacies they replaced, if they needed their legacy boost to be admitted over those non-legacies, are they not?

2 Likes

Perhaps many of them didn’t need the boost.

4 Likes

Yes, many of them don’t need the boost. They aren’t the ones benefited from legacy preference. The preference only benefits those who need the boost, who, by definition, are “less qualified”.

3 Likes

Or perhaps, as suggested above, it is a tie-breaking factor among applicants of equal qualification. I am not sure if that is considered a boost or not by you.

6 Likes

No two applicants are identical, or identically “qualified”. A large group of applicants may appear “equally qualified” only when standards are sufficiently lowered.

Preferences (of any kind) are ultimately about their unfairness. I don’t think anyone can claim that legacy preference is fair.

1 Like

There are so many 4.0/1600/solid EC kids applying, I am not sure how one can distinguish often among the average excellent students. Living in Wyoming or being a legacy can be a distinguishing factor

2 Likes

AOs often claim they can distinguish among their applicants. But if they can’t, doesn’t it mean their standards are too low?

In holistic admissions I think it is difficult to compare standards, particularly for extracurriculars. For example, the year I was tracking our area had an applicant who was state debate champion, an applicant who had run for City Council, an applicant who had published biomedical research with a local university professor, and an applicant with a national role in a youth movement. Assuming all had the usual good grades/test scores, which one was most qualified? There were no bad choices.

7 Likes

I believe Milton Friedman may have debated this in the affirmative (i.e., legacy preference is fair).

2 Likes

I don’t know what Milton Friedman may or may not have said, here’s what The Economist said recently about the fairness of legacy preference:

American universities are pursuing fairness the wrong way (economist.com)

5 Likes

The meritocracy of which the Economist opines is unlikely to “reflect America” and thus be unacceptable to US schools

2 Likes

It may be less hard to compare students who plan to avail themselves of the same resources at a school, but how does a school that hopes its alums will make a mark on the world determine the relative value of someone who will stay in academia as a mathemetician and one who may go back to an ubderserved community as a leader in education, housing policy, or education? We need all of them.

Schools aren’t choosing between two runners with the same time for the Olympics. So often, when folks talk about meritocracy, they assume that all these personal attributes are quantifiable.

If 2 applicants are great - even two who have similar plans - and the AO decides to give the nod to the legacy based on policy, it doesn’t mean that one was worse! This is like having to decide on whether to vacation in Italy, Spain, or France. You can have a policy that says you will pick based on cost. Or how well you speak the language. Or weather. The two that lose are not worse, but the decision was made by your policy.

9 Likes

Which AO’s claim they can’t distinguish among their applicants? I’ve never seen such a claim. Citations?

If you are talking about academic measures such as grades and test scores, the answer is no. Contrary to popular belief goal of admissions isn’t line students up from best to worst by your preferred measure, whether such ranking is meaningful to the mission of the colleges, or not.

4 Likes

First of all, calling legacy kids dullards is offensive.

Second, the “deep-pockets” in the scale required to get in as a “dullard” is more of a case of a big donor that happens to be legacy. Like the athlete that happens to be legacy, it was not the legacy factor that got them in.

Lastly, by the argument we might as well prevent every upper class kid with educated parents from getting accepted because the issues seems to be not they are legacy but that they are wealthy.

5 Likes

Did you mean to say “determine the relative value of someone who will go into IB and one who will go into business consulting?”

2 Likes

Actually, as it turns out, according to the Princeton paper piece, legacy is more likely than other groups to do the things @gardenstategal suggested.

2 Likes

That’s the term The Economist chose to use. I’m sure they chose it carefully as they usually do with every word they put down in their pieces.

Just because they used it, it does not make it less offensive or true.

6 Likes

So much animosity on this thread. Last I looked a not-insignificant proportion of grads from non-highly rejective schools such as Baruch, Marist, Fordham, Dayton, U Delaware, SMU, TCU, and IU went into banking, investing, and/or consulting jobs too.

4 Likes

Perhaps they meant to offend?