West Ambler Johnston Residential College?

<p>Any thoughts on the Residential College in WAJ? Good, Bad? How about for a freshman? The location of WAJ on campus?</p>

<p>This is the first year the WAJ residential college will open, so no one can really speak from experience, but it’s similar to East AJ in that it’s a very nice dorm with fancy amenities such as a gym, kitchen, and even a movie theater. It’s also close to D2 and West End, popular choices for food. There will also be a Harry Potter-esque “house” structure, where students will be sorted into houses that are governed by student councils.</p>

<p>The rooms are smaller than those at traditional dorms. They set up the rooms in such a bad way. I’m super mad that I’ll be living there next year. Freshman year I was in Pritchard. Sure, there is no A/C but thats the only downside. And you dont even need A/C for most of the months anyway. The rooms in Pritchard Hall were larger than those at WAJ, and had more storage space.
My advice, go for traditional housing. Have yourself a traditional freshman experience.</p>

<p>Are the rooms in WAJ really that much smaller? If you live in the Residential College you have guaranteed housing second year. How difficult is it to get housing 2nd year?</p>

<p>Alright so, from the dimensions gathered from the floorplans on each dorm. (If you check the tech Hall list, the information given for WAJ is before it was renovated and is incorrect. The information I have on WAJ is from the newer floorplans) The Pritchard rooms are 12 feet by 14 feet, width and length, respectively. West AJ is 8.9 feet by 11.7 feet, width and length, respectively. And then factor in you have an AC unit, and two wadrobes (which should have been built into the walls, in my opinion). Both students are going to have to loft their beds. I’m dreading the day I have to live in these tiny rooms (I hate lofted beds), even the A/C isnt worth it.</p>

<p>Oh and to get second year housing, you have to enter a lottery. The lottery will then give the winners a number. The lower your number is, youre more likely to get your first choice (you have three choices). And 85-90 percent get on campus housing if they enter the lottery. The email they sent out this year regarding this information provided these numbers.</p>

<p>Do you have a link to these new floorplans? VT website has the average size as 12x14 and I can’t see why that would change with a renovation.</p>

<p>I think it changed because of the A/C units and the movable wardrobes.
I got the information from a girl on the Residential College WAJ facebook page. She is a student who is involved with the upcoming community at WAJ. She has uploaded many pictures of inside the building while it was being built. I dont think any ordinary student can get inside the building, so I trust her information. But have a look for yourself <a href=“http://i.imgur.com/rWl3V.jpg[/url]”>http://i.imgur.com/rWl3V.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>OK, I’m a bit skeptical about the dimensions that person measured. First, the measurements should be taken wall-to-wall rather than taking into account wardrobes and sink. Room sizes also vary within a single building. I wouldn’t hate on WAJ unless you’ve actually seen the inside of the dorm and then decided that the rooms are a different size from Pritchard.</p>

<p>WAJ and EAJ are basically the same thing right. The rooms are, for the most part, the same. I spent a lot of time in EAJ last year, and that’s when I figured out that the renovated rooms are smaller than the ones at pritchard. Some corner rooms are even smaller.
But you’re right, I shouldn’t hate on WAJ just yet. Sorry.</p>