West Virginia University?? the truth of the school? nursing department?

I always have really liked WVU, but its known for being not very good academically. I have above average grades but i want to go to a big football and large state college. And considering I want to go for nursing, it is harder to get into the bigger schools. I got into WVU but I am scared that if i graduate from there( “IF” considering they have a 33% graduation rate) would I even get a job anywhere other than the state of WV? because I am from PA. Is it hard to survive there with all the partying? Are people somewhat “trashy” and just want to party? what is the truth behind the school because I see myself going there, but sometimes school does not come easy to me, so I need some extra help. Is the teaching staff good? How it the nursing program there and the graduation rate for it? if you know. I do not want to end up going there and hating it, so if you have a lot of info that would be great!

A large university will have plenty of serious students and plenty of people who party to excess. A hard core party-er will never make it through a nursing curriculum at any college.

The main question should be: how well will this program prepare me to pass the RN certification test and to know what I am doing when I start a job. If you become a RN, the name of your college will not matter a great deal.

However, there are probably certain hospitals that like to hire graduates of nursing programs that they trust, and that have provided many qualified staff to them in the recent past. Therefore, all other things being equal, it is preferable to attend a nursing program close to where you eventually want to work.

Thank you very much this helps a alot!

My stepson is a petroleum engineering major there - he will graduate this spring. He has done well and is working a very nice internship. It doesn’t seem trashy to me at all. I don’t know about the nursing program but he and many of his fellow engineering majors are doing well and about to graduate.

@Charliesch this is one reason why I am encouraging my daughter to stay here with me and my husband IF she wants to commute a couple years - we live right outside Philadelphia and both Rutgers Camden and Rowan University are very close to any number of great medical facilities.

Her father lives in central CT and while there are places there too, they are much farther away and there are not nearly as many hospitals and medical facilities.