Western Michigan University, others?

<p>It looks like I’m kind of alone here. My goal has been to go to Western Michigan University. Not anywhere in New York (I think I gave up that dream last year after realizing I didn’t want to be THAT far away from my home in southeastern Minnesota). I’m not from an affluent family, so I can’t apply to six different places. I simply can’t afford the audition and application fees, or plane tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, or whathaveyou. I’m stupid for putting all my eggs in one basket, but I am determined to go here.</p>

<p>Does anyone know anything about this school’s musical theatre program? I sat in on a musical theatre class during my visit and I LOVED it. Their acceptance rate is 22%. About 34/150 auditionees get in…that number scares me, even though it’s probably a lot higher than other schools.</p>

<p>Do I have a chance in any of these bigger schools? I am not a member of ITS, and although I auditioned for NFAA, I didn’t win anything (it was a capricious last minute audition, by the way, I found out a week before the deadline, and that was with an EXTENSION). My school has never offered any drama classes, to boot, and I have only been dancing for three years. I have never taken private voice lessons until this year.</p>

<p>I personally think that I have a lot of potential and can improve immensely. This has been my dream since 7th grade, to be a musical theatre major at a good school (Juilliard was the first, but I gave that up because they don’t offer musical theatre). But what do the auditors think? I know that “determination” may not get me anywhere if I don’t have the talent.</p>

<p>Any thoughts? I’m so lost. I feel lower than dirt compared to some of the credentials I’ve seen on here! I haven’t even been in that many plays. I’ll have 11 when I’m done this year.</p>

<p>I am sorry, but I don't know anything about their program. I am just writing to offer my support. It's really scary for all potential mt students. It sounds like you have made a choice of a school that you feel comfortable with, and that is great. A 22% admission rate is really high compared to others I have read about. And some of those kids that audition there haven't been reading the great information that is here at CC, so you already have an advantage. Prepare yourself as well as you can for the audition. Read all the great tips that are here on this forum that are free and good advice regarding selection of materials, preperation etc. And be prepared with a backup plan. Does WMU allow non-majors to take their MT classes? Does it allow participation in shows by non-majors? It might be a good choice for you even if you don't get into the program if the answers to these questions satisfy you.
As for other people on this forum, there are many who have major talent and training who post alot. There are probably an equal or greater number of kids and parents who lurk, read and absorb without posting. And they come from all levels of experience and talent.
BTW, my D did not win anything in NFAA either. But she did gain some experience in submitting a taped audition, and learned the value of preperation and showing your best in an audition.
Keep working on your audition prep, and keep your chin up. I'm no auditor but I thik passion and hard work count for something. I'll be rooting for you.</p>

<p>Jewel,</p>

<p>Is there another school in your district with a drama program, community college, drama club, regional theater or even community theater in your area? You can try to set up a meeting with a teacher or artistic director who can evaluate your chances and guide you. Trust me, there are people out there willing to help. Even At WMU, there might be a prof or upper classmen who can give you some valuable info.</p>

<p>I mentioned this before, but my relatives (husband and wife) are both drama/theater instructors who have decided to settle in a small rural area. Between the two of them, they have years of experience as actors, directors and performers in the US (including NYC) Europe and even Broadway. They have chosen small town life for many reasons. The wife teaches theater in a small community college. The husband is an adjunct in some more academically recognized colleges. He also has his own children's theater company. Any major program would be happy to have them on board. This past year, the wife (for extra income) coached a lovely young lady who was trying to transfer to a more prestigious MT program. The student had very little means to pay for these lessons and they set up something where the student (I'll call her X) babysat for the teachers' young son in exchange for private coaching. Happy ending! Student X was accepted at Hartt (MT) with a nice scholarship.</p>

<p>Is it too late to consider going to the Chicago Unifieds? I don't know what the airfare/bus fare is from Minnesota, but perhaps you try to set up some appointments there just to see what happens.</p>

<p>So you see, there are many options out there. I don't know anything about the programs in your area, but I guarantee there are many who do. It isn't too late to join in the game. Give yourself a big pat on the back for taking this first step.</p>

<p>Jewel: the other moms have given you great advice. As far as WMU goes, I don't know much about their MT program, but I do know the school as I have 3 degrees from there ;). I think it's a valid MT program, or Marin Mazzie wouldn't keep her affiliation with it. The odds of getting in there are certainly better than at most other programs. I can kind of break down the three elements of MT at WMU, though I do not know how they combine together in the program. Acting is good there, though not as strong as it has been at some times in the past. I as lucky to see Mazzie there as Cordelia when she was a student, and she was a brilliant star even then! Dancing also used to be stronger, but is ok. Music is where Western excels. Their Gold Company is highly successful. But MT is in the theater department, not the music department. I find it odd that they require (if they still do) two foreign languages for MT. This sounds like a music department demand, so maybe there is a good collaboration between the two departments for the MT students. There are opportunities for MT students to perform outside the department, too, most notably at the Civic Theater, so that's a bonus. I do think you ought to add on at least one more school that is a real stretch (you don't know if you don't try), and don't forget an actual safety. You might also want to find out how many students have ever been in another major and then transferred into MT at WMU. That way you would know if you don't get accepted if that is a possibility. I agree with Freelance that the Chicago unifieds would be the way to go, too. If you have questions about Western in general or about Kalamazoo, feel free to email or PM me.</p>

<p>We haven't checked into WMU but we've run into people on our campus visits and at auditions who are considering it and like it quite a bit for MT. I've only heard good things but can't remember details.</p>

<p>Since the audition odds are still fairly low (although better than at many schools), I recommend that you also find a non-audition safety to apply to. One idea in that region of the country might be Indiana Univ. if you are applying this year for 2006. The theatre program (BA) is non-audition. Next year, for fall 2007, they will require auditions for their new MT program.</p>

<p>Jewel, I was a student at WMU for a year (not as MT however) I was studying voice, so I do know a great deal about the music department, which is certainly the strongest of the three MT elements. When I was there, there was a little bit of a turf war between theatre and music majors, so I doubt there's too much collaboration. The classes are integrated though, like music theory: the vocal and musical theatre majors were together: so they do get the same class time with vocal majors.
The MT majors at Western were very talented though- very talented. For a school that's under the radar anyway. I wanted to change majors and become MT, but the head of the theatre dept was pretty nasty to me and that turned me off. Turns out he was replaced the year I left, so that's no longer a problem.</p>

<p>If you want to go to WMU I give you my encouragement, 100%. I think it's a great program which deserves more recognition. If you do end up going there, I'd take advantage of the great music opportunities, such as Gold Company or the choirs. I learned more being in Collegiate Singers than I have ever before in high school choir or in All-State choir.</p>

<p>A bit of advice about the audition, if it's still the same from when I was there... They put you through the vocal and monologue audition first (in groups of 5) then they make a cut, to see who will go on to the dance audition. From what I've heard, it seems as if they cut students based on the dance portion of their resumes. So even if you have a dynamite vocal and monologue portion, you may be cut if you have no dance training. (They're looking for the closest to triple threats that they can get) Since you DO have dance training, make sure you put every bit of dance you can on that resume. Also, keep up the confidence level at your audition. They seem to look for that heavily.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me with any other questions you have. Again, I wasn't an MT major there, but I can still give you some info from 2 years ago: pretty current.</p>

<p>Good luck!!</p>

<p>I have never even HEARD of the Unifieds!! I told you I was from a small town...</p>

<p>I would attend those in Chicago (I'm about 4 or 5 hours from Chicago) if I knew when they were or anything like that. I've heard Western has a really good dance program...maybe I'm wrong?</p>

<p>Thank you for all of your input! I have only been dancing for 4 years, however...but I've been in Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps for those four years as well. I danced every day during the summer...so I have dance training, but whether it'll rack up to somebody else's who has been dancing since they were 3...well, I don't know. That part scares me a little. </p>

<p>Groups of five, huh? I'm most scared about my monologue...I feel so detached from acting lately- I feel like I'm at the point where I don't know if I'm overdoing, OR, it feels awkward. This isn't a good thing, but it's what I absolutely love. I just hate MONOLOGUES. </p>

<p>I have no idea what other schools I can apply to. I want to go to a school in Michigan because my boyfriend is there, but the UMich deadlines are way past. And it's way too expensive! I only have a 27 ACT and 3.8 GPA, so it's not much to compete with. Someone is ALWAYS better no matter where you go!</p>

<p>Any other ideas where I could still apply? Or how I can figure out the Unifieds?!</p>

<p>Go to this website: <a href="http://www.otterbein.edu/dept/thr/unified.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.otterbein.edu/dept/thr/unified.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You will find a list of schools that participate in the unifieds. Figure out which ones you want to try to do in Chicago on the date they are held in Chicago and start contacting the schools ASAP so you can find out which schools needs apps in before auditioning, which ones require acceptance first, etc. You won't find other Michigan schools, but there are plenty of midwest colleges with MT programs and some hold auditions at the Unifieds. It's getting a little late so some schools might not have many spaces left. BTW, your stats would have been fine, I'll bet, to be invited to audition for the University of Michigan. You don't have to have stratospheric stats for MT; you just have to meet certain lower requirements to be invited to audition. For Western, it sounds like you've already done some research, including sitting in on classes, so that's great. Make sure you follow their audition requirements very carefully. If you have questions, ask the department. Is Cindy Duke still the go-to person? If so, she's very nice and helpful, so just ask her.</p>

<p>And regarding dance at Western, it's a good program, just not like it used to be. For somebody who has been dancing since the age of 3, as you mentioned yourself, it's a little different situation and they might find college programs that are more challenging. For the needs of the average musical theater dancer, they are certainly more than adequate.</p>

<p>Thanks again for your quick reply! </p>

<p>Yes, Sandy Duke is still the admissions head there- she's the one who told me about the 22% acceptance rate (that scared me). She is a very nice and helpful person! I met her during my visit and she helped me schedule when I could sit in on a class.</p>

<p>As far as back-ups...it looks like I'm really too late for most of these schools. I was looking at CCM, and that is appealing, but I'm too late and the Jan 28 audition in Cincinnatti overlaps with the WMU Audition workshop... </p>

<p>Even if I were to audition somewhere else, I would have troubles finding a way to get there. I can barely pay for the dance classes that I am taking now. I'm working two part-time jobs, and I'm involved in a play right now. It's really tough. I've been told that I have natural talent for acting by one of my directors, but this is small-town theatre with not much competition. Could I really match up to some of these virtuosos I read about on here? </p>

<p>Also- is it a bad idea to take a monologue from a short play? I want to use Shirley from "Native Dancer" by David Shaw, because she is humorous and I feel I can somewhat relate to her.</p>

<p>One of the coaches here or Dr. Himmelheber could best answer your monologue question, but you should find out the rules Western has. They might not care if it's from a short play. Read their requirements and if it's not clear, ask Sandy (sorry, I don't know where I got Cindy!) Duke. I know a lot of the schools want full length plays, but I noticed that at least one of the recommended monologues at Arizona is a 10 minute play! Do some research and see if there are any other schools you can do, then maybe see if you could piece together some training at Western if you didn't get into their program. For example, could you major and minor in theater and music and maybe take dance as electives? Then you'd have a safety! And really focus on understanding Western's program, what their requirements are, and asking them pertinent questions. Find out if you can reaudition later if you don't get in the first time. And don't give up, just keep moving toward your goals. Remember, when Marin Mazzie was at Western there was no MT program. She was a regular ole acting student.</p>

<p>Jewel,
Have you looked at UW-Stevens Point? I know the program is small, but has a good reputation, and unless the policy has changed since I lived in your part of the country, wouldn't you be able to pay resident tuition because you live in Minnesota?</p>

<p>My friend is going to school there now- he's a music major and he says he absolutely hates it. Maybe things changed since then, but he says the program and instructors are bad. Besides that, I don't want to be so close to home. Sounds weird, but I really want to get out of Minnesota and Wisconsin, since I live in La Crosse, basically. La Crosse is right across the river from my hometown in Minnesota, La Crescent.</p>

<p>Also, more news; I just found out I missed the URTA deadlines and just about every other deadline for the colleges I was looking at. Really sad. I didn't even know how prestigious some of those schools really were- I just never hear about them. I'm really researching in the wrong places- I'm glad I found this site when I could! Western is pretty much my only hope. And honestly, I don't think I am ready to move to New York, yet. I have friends at Western and a boyfriend in Michigan, so that influences my decision a bit.</p>

<p>Jewel--I found out that Central Michigan U. has what I think is an audition-entry Music Theatre program. Have you checked them out?</p>