What affordable [<$20k] colleges are possible for my 2.8 student? [NY resident]

Ok the NYS State schools are ok price wise. Where can she get in with a 2.8? The CDS and Naviance should help you with that. It would help to have class rank, rigor or any test scores but you can start with the gpa. That will be limiting

3 Likes

Typically, at a public school in one’s own home state. In NY, the SUNYs and CUNYs provide affordable choices.

Demonstrated financial need and/or high stats can open up many more options.

9 Likes

Mark Moody’s college list builder might be helpful. Broken down by test scores and GPA. Gives good college choices and will note if they give good financial aid and scholarships.

3 Likes

I know kids who loved Syracuse who ended up happy at Albany. (Syracuse was too expensive even after aid).

3 Likes

Syracuse is not a huge city so it wont compete with a Boston or NYC. The Armory Square area is popular. The proximity to nature and the Finger Lakes region is a plus. My freshman son at Cuse likes the diversity and variety. They have a decent music scene. So while the city itself isnt flashy, he is loving the activities around campus and knowing there is such a strong alumni network.

I will say that Syracuse had about a 50% acceptance rate this year and many high stats kids were rejected.

8 Likes

Plenty of people can and do go to college without huge loans. There is need based aid, merit aid, there is the option of in state schools; even starting 2 years at local community college and transferring to in state school is an option.

Where a lot of people may get into trouble is going to an expensive school and/or not thinking through job prospects and future salary when considering major/school etc.

9 Likes

I’m sure it’s difficult not knowing if MIL will contribute anything towards college costs.

It sounds like the parents can contribute $20K per year, is that correct? Will you qualify for any need based aid? Did you run Syracuse’s net price calculator?

Students can take out a total of $27K during undergrad. ($5.5K first year, then $6.5K,$7.5K,$7.5K). Any loans beyond that are on the parents either directly (most likely) or as a co-signer.

The majority of students wanting to go to college have budget constraints, which is why many attend community college or commute to a 4 year college.

7 Likes

Personally I think the SUNYs are a great option. I don’t know if Binghamton, Stony Brook are doable or too competitive - others may know. But I would think Albany and Potsdam should certainly be doable.

5 Likes

Totally- We really liked Plattsburgh & New Paltz. I just saw that Potsdam is having a major budget shortfall and axing a lot of professors & programs so that was concerning- but I don’t think she’d elect to go there anyway

1 Like

Luckily the public highschool she attends in Manhattan is exceptionally rigorous and well regarded. They don’t send GPAs- they send grades (truly don’t understand this process) so she doesn’t actually know her W/UW GPA.

That being said, her GC told her that her trajectory upwards from C/D’s to B/A’s makes a good story for the ACs to review during the application process.

I think she is a fairly talented writer, so her essays and topics seem pretty intriguing/strong to me. I’ve read a few of her friend’s essays and was fairly shocked that these 4.0+ students were all writing banal and cliche essays. I did give them this feedback- so I hope it helps them.

My mom who is a tenured prof at Northwestern also offered her essay reviewing skills as she reads A LOT of pre/post graduate level writing and wanted to help out kiddo and her friends too. So that’s good- I think she will have a compelling piece of writing and a story of improved grades. Especially once she actually got a diagnosis and started getting help through the IEP.

Plattsburgh asks for a 2.3 gpa so that may be a good fit

1 Like

Is he into sports? What I gleaned from the tour was:
SPORTS
SPORTS SPORTS SPPPPPPOOOORTS
Research
Research
SPORTS
George Saunders (one of my favorite writers of all time!)

Have you visited Binghamton and Stony Brook? I’m partial to them based on experience but everyone I know who has graduated from there has been successful!

Look at NC Promise schools which cost less than RIC.

Tuition is $5k. So $20k all in. It’s not NY but it’s budget friendly if your student’s stats work- I haven’t looked. The area where WCU is - rural but mountainous, really nice. Within an hour of really nice Asheville. Can’t speak for the others but if you like Plattsburgh, it will be more scenic .

Elizabeth City State University , Fayetteville State University , The University of North Carolina at Pembroke , and Western Carolina University .

3 Likes

I haven’t visited Bingo- it just seems SO VERY FAR from everything. What is Bing like?

Stony is a commuter school on LI, and I don’t think she’s got the grades nor the desire to go there.

Is that for OOS too? Why so cheap? Is it need based aid? I might look into those myself!

2 Likes

Yep. In state is less $1k I think. Just those schools tho.

1 Like

IS $9K, 18K OOS for SUNY Plattsburgh. which IS amazingly great pricing i think.

Also Plattsburgh is SO close to Montreal and Burlington!

1 Like

I went to Bing loved it - life fully revolved around campus back then but always things to do. There wasn’t much of a college town back then but it may have changed a lot. Have several family members who have gone since and loved it. It’s 3 hrs from NYC. For me, it was far enough that my parents wouldn’t visit all the time, but close enough that I could take a bus down on weekend if needed. But that’s a personal preference.

I have relatives who lived on campus at Stony Brook and loved it. But again, personal preference.

4 Likes

My only hez with NC is my girl is very urban yankee. We’ve only ever lived in Oakland, CA or Manhattan, NY. So the idea of down south is rough. I had to travel to Richmond, VA for work quite a bit for many years and even that level of Southern was
not my cup of tea. I found it very weird and disliked all the Confederate stuff everywhere.