What are Honors Programs?

<p>I got an email this morning saying that my UC Application Status (Irvine) has been changed, and when I logged on, I found that I’ve been accepted to Irvine. </p>

<p>In the afternoon, I got another email from Irvine saying that they want me for Honors Program: </p>

<p>"“I am pleased to invite you to join UC Irvine’s Campuswide Honors Program this fall, providing you are admitted to the campus.”"</p>

<p>Providing you are admitted to the campus? What does that mean? Does it mean “we want you go join BECAUSE you got into Irvine” or “we want you to join IF you get into Irvine”?</p>

<p>And what are Honors Programs? Regents? How many people get in? And how is that beneficial to me?
How do I know if it’s offering me a scholarship? (Where to check?)</p>

<p>I’m so clueless; please help me! </p>

<p>Thanks everyone in advance.</p>

<p>I believe there's a difference between honors such as Regents and the "campus-wide honors program." At Davis, there's something called the Davis Honors Challenge (DHC) that you apply to after you've been admitted. Basically you just take some extra classes and it goes on your transcript and you get a few perks, like priority registration. It's different from getting honors in your major, as well, which is usually based on some kind of project/thesis your senior year. </p>

<p>I think that the situation is probably similar at Irvine. That email doesn't mean you get any kind of scholarship or even that you are admitted to the school, it's just informing you about something you might consider doing if you eventually matriculate at Irvine.</p>

<p>My understanding is that all applicants are evaluated for campus wide honors at UCI as well as Regents scholarships. If you meet the qualifications for honors you receive the invitation you did. Regents will be in your admission packet if you are offered the scholarship. You will receive a packet in the US Mail. You can go to the UCI website and put in honors program in the searchbox; lots of info online.</p>

<p>My son received the Regents certificate and CHP invite in the mail a couple of days ago (Friday). I wouldn't call it an admissions "packet" but it's something :)</p>