What Are My Admission Chances?

Hello! I am hoping some of you could estimate my chances of admission to the College of Letters & Science? My intended major is history. I am an out of state student from Kentucky.

My unweighted GPA is a 3.9. My ACT composite is a 29 with the highest subscores being: English 35, Math 26, Reading 34, and Science 24; all of those subscores are from the same exam, except for Reading which was a 31 on said exam (hence a 29 rather than a 30.) I’ve taken the following AP courses: US Government & Politics (4), European History (current), and Psychology (current.) In addition I’ve taken the following dual credit (early college) courses: US History 108/109, English 100/200, and Spanish 101/102. In terms of honors/accelerated: pre-calculus and accelerated world civilizations. My class rank is 10/198.

In the application’s activity section, I have listed:

1. International Order of DeMolay Past Master Councilor (President); Representative DeMolay Award; Merit Bars of Scholastic Achievement, Civic Service, Masonic Service, Fine Arts.
  2. Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society Chapter founder; Allen C. Guelzo Chair of History (elected); Harold Holzer Scholar Award; Hamilton Memorial Historiographer Award.
  3. Kentucky Historical Society Teen Leadership Committee member; Old State Capitol & Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History volunteer.
  4. Class of 2016 Student Government Elected Class Historian
  5. Pikeville-Pike County Museum Civil War Era Exhibit volunteer; public lecturer.
  6. National Spanish Honor Society
  7. River Cities Research Commission Appointed chairperson; writer for, "Kentucky History Fridays" weekly historiographic articles.
  8. National BETA Club Graduation pin and cords.
  9. Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps Petty Officer 3rd Class; squad leader; Honor Cadet ribbon; Cadet of the Week Award; Outstanding Naval Science I ribbon; Exemplary Conduct ribbon.
  10. El Hasa Shrine Temple Volunteer and event organizer.

Also, I noticed that UW has no section for independent honors or awards. Would they accept supplementary materials such as those? If so, I have such accomplishments as being one of 1-3 students chosen nationally for a scholarship to attend the 2015 Lincoln Forum Symposium in Gettysburg, PA; being the only student chosen nationally for a scholarship to attend the 2015 Lincoln Colloquium conference in Lincoln, IL; having my paper, “Perpetual Disunion: The American Civil War and its Sociopolitical Implications” published by a National Park Service site; and others.

Thank you for any information, advice, etc!

Have you asked your parents about their budget for paying for college?

@Madison85 I am well aware of my family’s financial situation, yes. I would really appreciate some thoughts on my chances of being admitted to UW-Madison though.

You GPA and ACT are in the range for admitted students. As a non Wisconsin resident it’s harder to get admitted, though recently the Board of Regents increased the enrollment cap on number of non residents. Include your class rank on your application. Write excellent essays.

Plan on a 4-year cost of around $200,000.

Your credentials look good for admissions. However, reality means considering your budget. Do not count on any merit aid from UW. Check with your local UW alumni association for any possible scholarships- yes, there are UW alumni clubs all over the country.

If your end goal majoring in history is to go on to law school, I’ve always heard good things about NKU Salmon Chase. Going someplace in-state would save you roughly what a decent house would cost and there are some quality state school options available to you.

@jeremyj Thanks for the advice, but I don’t plan to enter law school. My eventual aspiration is to actually receive a PhD in history and work as a professional, academic historian. I’m considering many schools, including University of Kentucky (the best institution in the state for history,) as well many financial aid options should I leave the state. Unfortunately though, many programs in Kentucky fall short compared to other institutions elsewhere in the US. Thankfully I know of some universities for which I qualify to have my tuition matched with in-state students. I’ve heard excellent things of UW-Madison and know of several prominent historians who attended it and attest to its excellence, so I am hoping to also exhaust all avenues related to UW.

What does this mean? All what avenues? Merit aid from UW?

Remember- you can get your PhD from your favorite institution after getting your undergrad degree from Kentucky. Perhaps even UW if that is what you wish.