What are my chances and matches? US HS Junior

If you attend a school similar to Pingry, where there are 6 people on the college counseling staff and there were 143 seniors in the class of 2022 (so a ratio of less than 24:1, source), then that is definitely where you need to be asking, and you should be feeling very fortunate that so much attention is available to you, as that is definitely not the case at most schools across the country.

Have you already reached out to the counseling services at school and are seeking non-affiliated opinions, or do you still need to reach out to your school counselors?

2 Likes

I agree that the first line of advice and support for op should be their school college counselors who will be familiar with where opā€™s grades, class selection and activities place them within their class. Even the best of private schools, however, have been affected, sometimes more so than other schools, by the change in college admissions in the test optional world. Op should not be surprised if the college counselors express a level of uncertainty about traditional feeder relationships or admissions chances generally.

2 Likes

This high school probably has a dedicated college counseling staff that is probably well connected to many colleges and can give you a better idea of which among them (particularly among those that would generically be considered ā€œreach for everyoneā€) are more or less likely to be interested in a student like you. Make use of this resource.

Medical school is very expensive. Will your parents help with medical school costs if you get in (most medical school applicants get no admissions to any medical school), or will that be based on how much you spend for undergraduate?

2 Likes

Although chancing is probably best kept to your school, are you looking for suggestions of additional schools that might interest you? If so, it would be great to learn more about what youā€™re interested in. It sounds as though youā€™d like an urban or suburban campus with at least 5,000 students, but preferably more, where you can major in biology. How do you feel about sports? Greek life? Pre-professional orientation of the student body? Religious affiliation? Are there any activities you are hoping to pursue (whether you want to continue or start)?

1 Like

Iā€™ll second @tsbna44 here. Your parents shouldnā€™t be picking your ED school for you. Itā€™s great to get advice on your college list from parents and counselors, but only apply to a school ED if itā€™s truly where YOU want to go.

1 Like

Ok, thank you so much!

1 Like

I am honestly not sure about the environment I would like to be placed in. I am in hard classes where everyone is smart and then I am in classes where I am noticeably smarter. I think I do well in both environments. I also might decide to take harder classes such as AP Chem and Honors Physics.

1 Like

Thank you for this insight! It is all very beneficial for me. I have heard that my GC are good so I am certain they will help me in the best way they can!

I am supposed to meet with my counselor soon(around feb).

At this point, my parents have told me not to worry about finances, but I am not sure about medical school yet I am not worried about that aspect yet as it is far ahead in the future if I am even able to attend med school.

This is a great question, thank you!

I am still not exactly sure if I like a city school more or a suburban campus but I do want to attend a larger school as my current school is pretty small. I am very into sports but I am not playing in college so I would like a school with a good sports campus. I have not exactly researched greek life and am not even sure if I want to be in a sorority. However, because I like to be social, I would probably like to be in one. I am not attentive to religious affiliation, just not colleges that put too much interest in religion.(I donā€™t want to attend a religious school).

I hope this helps! Thank you once again!

1 Like

I have visited Cornell before and have always been open to going. They have relatively good sports/student life programs and it is one of the best schools I am applying too that I have a chance of getting in. Although my parents encourage this school, I will applying to the college I want to attend.

Thank you!

1 Like

Some schools you might want to investigate include:

• Boston College (MA)
  • Florida State
  • Marquette (WI)
  • Tulane (LA)
  • U. of Minnesota - Twin Cities
  • U. of Pittsburgh (PA )
  • U. of Wisconsin - Madison
  • Villanova (PA )
  • Wake Forest (NC)
2 Likes

These look like good matches! Thank you!

1 Like

Note the student is Jewish and while some Jews attend, I would note that BC, Marquette, and Villanova are all religiously affiliated and Wake used to be.

For someone who wants to be in the city and about 10K kids, Charleston would be a safety and have rigor if the student was admitted to Honors (they would be) and invited to be a part of the Charleston Fellows program. I was at their basketball game yesterday vs. UDel - definitely has school spirit - and schoolā€™s not even in session. And a big Hillel.

U of SC - also urban - could also work in addition to the others above from @AustenNut. Itā€™s got the top rated Honors College in the country.

Charleston Fellows Program - College of Charleston (cofc.edu)

I thought about that, but since OP had Georgetown on her list, I thought that these could be okay, and that she was more opposed to strongly religious schools like Liberty, Hillsdale, or their ilk. That will obviously be up to OP as to how she feels about the campus.

For some schools that your counselors may consider likelies or safeties, these might be some additional possibilities. Iā€™ve indicated if thereā€™s a religious affiliation. Iā€™m not into sports enough to know how sporty some of the schools are. For instance, I know that lacrosse can be a very intense fan-favorite in the northeast, but I donā€™t know which of these schools have which popular sports:

• Marist (NY)
  • Quinnipiac (CT)
  • Sacred Heart (CT) - Roman Catholic affiliation
  • U. of Tampa (FL)
  • U. of Alabama - Birmingham: This is smaller than the Tuscaloosa campus, but itā€™s still classified as a residential campus, has sports teams, and is well known for its preparation for health careers.
  • U. of Dayton (OH) - Roman Catholic affiliation
  • U. of Louisville (KY)
  • U. of South Carolina - which has a very well-reputed honors college
  • Xavier (OH) - Roman Catholic affiliation
1 Like
  1. +1 to all the advice to listen to your GCs

2. Put serious effort into thinking about things you want from your college experience, and the relative importance of each of those. Be prepared to draft and redraft your shortlists- I think you are a ways away from a real list. Thatā€™s fine- you donā€™t need to settle on a list until next autumn!

Some particular thoughts:

-If med school is a serious goal, I would think again about Cornell

-Separate out the mid-size privates (Lehigh, AU, Georgetown, Tufts, WUSTL, Vandy) from the big state Us- what makes one group vs or another more interesting to you?

-UNC-CH and Tufts are reaches; NE is not a match in RD; and AU is only likely if you show them a good amount of love (they hate being used as a safety).

NEU has early action as do others on the list - so OP I think once you have a list you need a schedule of all deadlines - and any school that offers Early Action (non binding), you want to hit that. Some on your initial list that you labeled RD have EA.

But you are 8 months away from worrying about that.

1 Like

This year (maybe always?) BU didnā€™t offer EA, only ED and RD.

2 Likes

True - but BU has an RD Priority Deadline of December 1 (if I remember correctly) for some merit aid eligibility.