What are my chances at being looked at?

I am 14 years old just started freshman year. My GPA is 3.75 (working it up). I’m 5’11, 165-169 lbs. My 2k pr is a 7:40.9, and I did it while I wasn’t in-shape. (I joined a new rowing team in the summer and am noticing big changes in strength and fitness). I’ve been trying to research what 2k and 5k times colleges want, but haven’t had any luck. Wha do you think my chances at getting colleges’ interest are? I know it’s an early start but I really love the sport and have been rowing for 4 years. Thoughts?

I would say that you are only 14 and off to a good start - no college is going to “look” at you now and just keep working - on your grades and your fitness. Your course rigor, course grades, SAT/ACT test scores, other activities outside rowing (leadership at school or another in school activity) will all be good for your rowing resume. Rowers tend to have high academics. Make sure you are cross training - as it is not common for a 14 year old to have 4 years of experience already in a boat and on an ERG - watch out for injuries.

Hopefully you row for a club or school that will offer you a chance to compete at some regattas outside of your local area and you make it to junior nationals, but if not - just bringing in competitive ERG scores will mean something too. Once you are entering junior year (summer between soph and jr year of hs) you can start reaching out coaches with your rowing and school stats - look at programs that match your stats and don’t forgot to look at schools that are affordable for your family too.

3 Likes

You are young and have several years ahead of you. Generally crew requires good academics in addition to rowing ability. I don’t know the 2k erg times but they are probably faster than 7:00 for men.

1 Like

Everything @coffeeat3 says is right and they’ve been through it, so I would listen to them. Focusing on both your academics and your rowing performance will help you prepare for the conversations you will have later - likely no earlier than spring of your junior year.

I’m also not sure how you calculated your 3.75 gpa, but if you’re a first-semester freshman, you probably don’t have one yet, so don’t worry about the past. Middle school etc. doesn’t count.

In terms of erg times, this NCSA article is correct enough to guide you towards some goals (and if your coach has had athletes go through the process, they will know this). This doesn’t really separate out DI and DIII schools correctly, but it’s close enough. (Note that those are 2K times. Really that’s all that matters, nobody cares about your 5k.)

2 Likes

I am just going to say it again - rowing is NOT a big $ sport, so it is important for you to understand your college budget - it is not a free ride to college and many of the top schools give zero money for the sport. What rowing provides in college is a great community of like minded peers and most likely life long friends, future employers seem to value the work ethic of student athletics and my child’s peers at school are accomplished both inside the classroom and on the water.

5 Likes

Thank you. Is there a link for women’s college rowing? I forgot to mention in my original post.

Sorry, I read this as if you were a male rower. If you’re a female rower pulling a 7:41 2K at age 14, you’re on track (assuming continued improvement and strong academic performance etc.) to be recruited by top programs. (Women’s rowing generally begins the recruiting process a bit earlier - summer before junior year and junior fall are relevant times - though it may not wrap up before senior fall for an individual athlete.)

NCSA’s women’s list is here, though I think this is less precise.

Also, please take care of yourself! You have time and you want to keep injuries from derailing you physically or mentally.

1 Like

I apologize, as I also presumed you were male and I am a parent of a female rower ! There is money available for D1 top recruits at some programs (not Ivy league) amd usually split across the team vs large amount going to one or two rowers.

Team culture is very different at each school as is the coaching style plus with you just starting freshman year imagine this will change a bit before your recruiting time.

Not sure where you are located - but attending big races like Head of the Charles as a HS rower will get you exposure to a lot of these teams and you can see and hear them in action and get an idea of fit. No money in D3 - but great teams and schools.

Again, you are super early and need to stay healthy and have fun - too early to think about college yet and what you want in college most likely will change too - from major to location to campus size too.

2 Likes