What are my chances at Texas A&M University?

Howdy! I am a Virginia resident and I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on what you think my chances are of getting in? I have a 3.95 GPA (just outside of top 25%), 25 on ACT, varsity softball 4 years (captain this year), NHS, member of 2 clubs, over 60 hours of community service, and I’ve had a job since my sophomore year. A&M is my dream school, and not knowing anyone else applying there or when I’ll hear back is starting to make me nervous. Thanks for the help!

Howdy @hopefulaggie23 Out of state review candidates are really hard pressed to get accepted. I know this isn’t the insight you may have been looking for, but just wanted to keep it real. Only 15% of review applicants got in last year and the majority were in the top 25% (and more realistically in the top 15%) with ACTs around 28.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it can’t happen. Your ECs are great. Did you write a compelling essay and or have a LOR? That makes up half of the “points” for admission. I wish you the best and if you don’t get in as a freshman, transfer students with strong GPAs have a great chance of acceptance depending on major!!

@hopefulaggie23: I am not sure how many OOS Review Application students are admitted to TAMU CStat.

A typical TAMU Review Applicant who is a TX resident has a 10-15% chance of full admissions to TAMU in CStat. And it is usually with much higher test scores.

What is your target major?

Other admissions offers include Blinn-TEAM, Gateway, Galveston (and Engineering majors have other possible paths). Familiarize yourself with all of the ways to become an Aggie. And there is always the possibility of starting out somewhere else and transferring to CStat later. Out of state fees are much higher and those issues need to be discussed with your parents. I have heard that TAMU doesn’t offer much in the scholarship area to OOS students.

Is there any way that you can retake the ACT and improve your score? Or take the SAT? Sometimes one standardized test is better suited to a student. A 25 ACT is below the average admitted TAMU student.

Neither of my Aggie daughters (both were Reviewed Admissions, one was full admit 2012 and the other Blinn-TEAM 2017) worked on any test prep classes, but I have heard that Khan Academy is good. If I had another child, they would be taking test prep courses. :slight_smile:

Have you visited the TAMU campus? They also offer an ACT on campus which is only scored for TAMU, it can’t be sent anywhere else. If you can squeeze in an official campus tour, a meeting with an adviser in your major and schedule a “sit in” for a class in your major, all of those things can show TAMU how serious you are about becoming an Aggie. And it would help you to see if you truly feel at home in Aggieland.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. If you really want to be an Aggie, don’t let anyone stop you from your dream. Keep on working toward your goal. A LOT of people transfer in, although that process is also very selective and long, in the end, their degree and class ring are from TAMU. And that is what matters in the end.