What are my chances at the UC's?

Asian Male

Upper Middle Class

Live in CA

Uc Gpa: 3.91 uw/4.27 capped weighted/4.64 uncapped weighted

Sat: 1380 6/5/6 (will retake for 1450+)

Molecular Biology major

Ec: Key Club Treasurer, Science Olympiad Treasurer, Teen Service Projects Chair, Hiking Club secretary, Make-A-Wish Vice President, library volunteer, cpr certified, school ambassador, and I do karate outside of school

Personal statement/essay is 8/10

Trilingual (Mandarin, Vietnamese, and English)

No hooks

Competitive school

School doesn’t rank, but I estimate I’m top 5% out of a class of 580 people (Elc)

Upward trend from Freshman-Junior year

Ap Scores: Ap Lang(5), Apush(4), Ap bio(3), Ap Euro(3)-Ap Scholar with Honor

Since the UC’s are very GPA focused, your UC GPA puts in a good position for all the UC’s however for the top UC’s like UCLA and UCB, you want to bump up your SAT test scores into that 1450+ range.

UCLA/UCB should be considered Reach schools regardless of your stats due to the low acceptance rate, high # of qualified applicants and just the overall competitiveness of each school.

UCSD: High Match-Low Reach
UCI/UCD/UCSB: Match-High Match
UCSC: Match
UCR/UCM: Safety

2017 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA capped weighted of 4.20 or above and not major specific:

UCB: 42.7%
UCLA: 47.2%
UCSD: 84.2%
UCSB: 82.0%
UCD: 90.3%
UCI: 94.1%
UCSC: 92.7%
UCR: 97.5
UCM: 98.1%

25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1280-1490

UCLA: 1280-1500
UCSD: 1250-1470
UCSB: 1210- 1450
UCD: 1190-1430
UCI: 1190-1420
UCSC: 1170-1380
UCR: 1090-1310
UCM: 1020-1230

Best of luck

A few more comments - race and rank are notconsiderations. Your 3 in AP Bio could work against you since you want to go into a Biology field, not sure. The resume feels more like mid-tierish UC on first glance, which isn’t a bad thing. Definitely try and get your SAT into 1450+ range.

Please elaborate on why my resume feels more mid-tierish UC. I have nothing against the mid-tier UC’s but just want to see what I can improve overall. Thanks!

For upper tier UCs I would expect to see AP Calc preferably BC, AP Chem, and AP Physics preferably C. Not 100% necessary, but you’re competing with thousands of applicants with uw 4.0s and 1500+ SATs so rigor is important. Perhaps you are taking these in 12th. I would also want to see 4s and 5s on all your AP scores as well. I also don’t see any ECs that are science related. And as aforementioned if you’re talking about UCLA or UCB you’ll probably want to get very close to SAT 1500, if not above.

If you’re only applying to UCs for non-Engineering you don’t have to take SAT Subject tests, but it might be a good idea to take one for Biology. Maybe Math II also. Good scores on those will help.

I agree with the first poster- UC’s are very GPA focused so you’ve got a fair shot.

you are a strong candidate for all the UCs but, they can be hard to predict. Be sure to apply broadly.