• Public (High ranked)
  • White, female
    **Double major psychology and italian

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): School doesn’t do weighted GPA
    *Test optional
    Coursework
    *AP’s=Environmental Science, Psychology, and Italian (School doesn’t offer any). Rest of my classes are honors

Awards
-National Italian Exam Bronze medal, National Latin Exam cum laude, National honor society(Jr/Sr year), Italian honor society, Italian club service award.
Extracurriculars
*National Honor Society, president/treasurer of 3 clubs, Volunteering, Gymnastics, and dance for 15 years, Attended a world-renowned summer program at Harvard.
**Essays/LORs-Both strong

• Safety -Merrimack, Emmanuel, Endicott, Fairfield, Salve Regina
  • Match-Providence College, Lehigh, UMiami, Holy Cross
  • Reach- Boston College (double legacy), BU, Northeastern, Villanova, Yale

Double legacy doesn’t mean what you think it means; your sibling does not count

Ok, I didn’t realize that

Depends on the school. But sibling does usually count for legacy. Many of the applications explicitly ask whether you have a parent OR sibling who attended the school.

As to BC, I see conflicting information online. Hard to find a clear answer. But the simplest way to figure it out is, does the application ask whether a sibling attended the school?
My son isn’t applying to BC, so I don’t know the answer. BU’s application specifically asks parent/grandparent/sibling.

2 Likes

I’d consider ED at Boston College if you want to increase your odds and it’s truly a top choice (and you can afford it). I believe there’s a big bump in ED admissions, and it may be the only application choice where your legacy will help you.

Northeastern is a tougher and tougher admit and I’d say chances are low at Yale, as they are for everyone. My daughter with a 3.95 gpa and 12 APs didn’t get into BU, which I was surprised about, so that one may well be a reach for you too. And I’m not sure about Villanova.

I would say your interest and pursuit of Italian is interesting and could help set you apart. Did you look at colleges where foreign language is particularly valued (tufts and middlebury spring to mind)?

Your matches are probably matches, though I think Lehigh can be unpredictable. As long as you can imagine yourself happy at one of your safeties, you will be fine.

2 Likes

If you would like to continue your research into colleges with strong Italian programs, some of these schools may be of interest:

You could consider submitting an arts supplement with dance video, resume and LOR’s if appropriate and if accepted by the schools.

Italian plus 15 years dance makes you an interesting candidate, in my view.

So you wrote last night about ED at BC - and I wrote back that in my opinion (we are not AOs), that would be your only way in as the rate is much higher than RD - but I do worry about going test optional.

I think Miami is likely not a target and Lehigh and Holy Cross are high matches. I’d move Miami to reach but make sure you apply EA.

All in all your list looks fine - as long as you’re comfortable attending your safeties or PC.

Good luck.

Yes! Thank you! I don’t get why being test optional would hurt me though, if the school is test optional.
Thank you for your input!

Same person just on my moms account lol!

Go read your other thread. Another poster explained why. Yes they are TO but many top schools appear to lean toward a test as a differentiator but still many get in TO.

It’s my opinion…I’m not an AO that RD is a no and ED is possible. Not probable. But not impossible.

Good luck.

According to College Navigator, the following colleges on your list do not offer a major in Italian, Italian Studies, or Romance Languages.

Emmanuel, Endicott, Lehigh, Northeastern, Salve Regina, U. of Miami

Does this matter to you, as Italian is one of your intended majors?

If it does matter, have you thought about Bucknell or Dickinson instead of Lehigh? Tufts instead of Northeastern? Syracuse instead of U. of Miami (granted…very different weather, but similar athletic spirit)? Nazareth instead of Salve Regina? Saint Joseph’s instead of Emmanuel? Or Wheaton instead of Endicott?

2 Likes

You have 5 safeties. Typically 2-3 is sufficient. Research your safeties as much as your reaches. Then narrow it down. Maybe add another reach.

Would you consider expanding your “reach” school list to include more schools outside of Boston?

Geography is not on your side. Three of your 5 reach schools are probably THE most popular schools for applicants like you from high ranking MA public schools: BU, BC and Northeastern.

Do you attend one of the “powerhouse”suburban-Boston public schools? If yes, then these schools are even “reachier” for you. There is no admissions advantage to living close to Boston. It’s actually a disadvantage because HUNDREDS of students from your school, and every other highly ranked suburban-Boston school, will be competing for spots at these same 3 schools.

IMO, ED is the best shot for a suburban Boston kid to get into BU, BC, Northeastern. You could check Naviance (if it’s available to you) and with your GC to see if this holds true at your school.

This opinion was expressed recently by an admission officer in relation to an ongoing study on the topic (PROOF POINTS: Colleges that ditched test scores for admissions find it's harder to be fair in choosing students, researcher says):

I think UMiami is probably more of a reach. It’s a really tough admit. Know one girl who was rejected there last year and got into BC.

I agree that being from a Boston suburb won’t help with your reaches and agree that maybe looking at some schools outside of NE may help you. If you are willing to go to Miami, are there other schools you would travel for? Maybe take a look at Richmond, American, or Bucknell.

Also agree that you have too many safeties and probably like most kids I know in the Boston suburbs who want to go to BC, BU, etc, I’m guessing you wouldn’t be overly happy to attend any of them. If that’s the case, try to find a safety (financial and academic) that you would be happy at. Maybe take a look at UVM or Miami OH as possible safeties.

Also, what about adding Fordham to the list? They have an Italian major. Our HS sent lots of kids there this year that didn’t get into their other top choices (BC, BU, Richmond, etc) and they all seem to really like it. I think you have a good shot at some of these schools but unfortunately your list looks so much like so many other kids at top rated suburban Boston high schools.

2 Likes

I think Fordham might work. Plus the Bronx’s Little Italy is nearby.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.