What are my chances for getting into the Elliott School's Masters in Security Policy Studies Program

Hey everyone!

I was hoping to get some insight as to whether I have any chance of getting into the Elliott School’s Masters in Security Policy Studies program-- any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Major: Philosophy of Law and Society
School: California State School
GPA: 3.9
GRE: The program is GRE optional so I’m hoping to avoid having to take the GRE.
Internships: I participated in a clinical ethics program and a Congressional internship program in Washington, D.C.
Professional Experience: I currently work two jobs one in IT and the other in Public Relations.
I believe that my statement of purpose is very strong (I clearly delineate my goals in studying security policy and how GWU is the perfect school to achieve these goals).
I can also receive some pretty strong letters of recommendations from professors and current employers.

Once again, I appreciate any insight you folks can give me-- this is a program I really want to participate in but I’m worried the fact that I can’t really make the time to properly study for the GRE will sink me!

Your GPA is solid, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the GRE. I can’t say for certain, but at least for undergrad going test-optional doesn’t hurt you.

As far as your professional experience, how long have you been working at each job? Is the Public Relations job in any way related to Security Policy? If not, how are you selling yourself in your essay? You say you match your goals to the GWU being the perfect school for it, but it’s hard to know how much your undergrad degree or internships will contribute.

With all that said, I think your odds are decent if you’ve found a way to correlate your Congressional internship or PR job to the Security Studies Program. Whether you accomplished that, however, isn’t something I can judge. Good luck, and keep us posted.