GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.4/4.0
  • Class Rank: We don’t rank, but top 5/140
  • SAT Score: 1560/1600

Coursework
14 AP Classes taken over 3 years; 4s and 5s

Awards

Atlas Fellowship Recipent

1x American Debate League Varsity 2nd Place Finisher (1st/~40 schools that qualified for championship meet), 1x 3rd Place Finisher; First in school history

1x Scholastic Art and Writing National Silver Medalist, 7x Regional Gold Keys

Top 100 Young Poet in the World, named by the Poetry Society of the UK

National Merit Semifinalist

Extracurriculars

• Founder of International Literary magazine w/ 50,000+ pageviews, 8 issues and 2 anthologies, recognized by Newpages, The Poetry Society, Duotrope, etc
  • CEO/EIC of The SECOND LARGEST literary magazine worldwide with 150,000 lifetime viewers, 100+ blog posts, 14 issues and 4 anthologies featuring 100+ writers from all major continents
  • Founder of a volutneer organization that has partnered with NY State’s 4 largest nonprofits to raise 20,000+ dollars, facillitate 10+ projects at the state/regional level, and distributed 3,000+ meals.
  • Nationally ranked table tennis player (top 10 jr player in state of NY, US open compeititor)
  • Published poet in 20+ literary magazines
  • Alumni at many prestigious summer programs such as LaunchX, Kenyon Review YWW, and Wharton LBW
  • Interned at a marketing firm over the summer where I facillitated large-scale projects with 3+ major clients and created complex presentations w/ big data
  • State runner-up debator in public forum, first debator in school history to win 1st place in individual points and 1st place in team points at a national debate competition
  • DECA international qualifier in Finance
  • Track state qualifier, sectional champion in the Long Jump, team captain.

Please give me some general advice as to how I can improve my application by the time app szn rolls around, and whether you think I have a shot at the ivies despite my demographic :slight_smile:

Where would you like to apply ED or SCEA or REA?

1 Like

I’m also a rising senior with no idea about ivy admissions chances, but I will say that I haven’t seen a student as accomplished as you in our grade yet. I would definitely apply to the ivies. Congratulations on all your successes!

2 Likes

What’s your unweighted GPA - 4.0 for A, 3.0 for B, etc.

So you’re in an enviable position based on your desires for school type.

When you say top business, you’re talking about Penn, Michigan, NYU, etc. All are possible but the beautiful thing is that IU is near elite and it’s a safety.

I don’t think you have to “add” anything short of ensuring you define / quantify your activities because they do seem “stretched” - not saying they aren’t true…and then finding the right school.

You mention Ivies - but not all Ivies have business, etc. so find the right schools.

The other thing you don’t mention is cost - what can you afford? If it’s anything, then you’re good.

If not or if you have a budget, that can be an issue - but having the NMF would get you a huge financial benefit at schools like Alabama where you’d get tuition and housing for four years and the Culverhouse School is excellent. Or Tulsa where you’d go free. Or a possibility of free tuition at Fordham or 1/2 to full off at USC.

So I think you’re fine as is if the application is properly prepared - including solid essays and LORs.

But cost would be the question - if you have limitations there.

Which state are you from? Your in-state public is likely strong as well.

6 Likes

LaunchX and LBW are not prestigious. LBW is available to those with a 3.5 GPA and $9800 to spend for the program.

The 2nd largest literary magazine in the world has only published 14 issues? What’s your circulation and page views per month? What’s a ‘lifetime viewer’ and why would anyone care? Is this a company you’re running? What kind of money has it made?

Are you a recruited athlete for either? If not, it’s not going to move the needle.

The same poem submitted to 20 different places or 20 different works?

That’s a lot of hot air. What did you actually do?

4 Likes

Please don’t exaggerate or embellish what you have done. Some of what you have listed doesn’t sound possible. Maybe it is…but it just sounds…unrealistic.

In terms of your application list…did I miss a price point?

1 Like

And according to this thread…you applied to college in 2021.

Please be honest here. Or are you sharing an account with someone else?

And in 2020, you were in 8th grade?

1 Like

And if we’re talking web traffic, the second largest literary magazine worldwide is…The Paris Review. So this point needs some explaining. Second largest in what sense? By whose ranking and by what criteria?

Ugh, this is one of my pet peeves. Alumni is plural. Alumnus would be the singular masculine form. And I’m sorry, usually I’m not this persnickety, but someone claiming to be the CEO of the second largest literary magazine worldwide should surely know this.

4 Likes

There seems to be a lot of wishing-and-hoping in the list of achievements here. Additionally, based on older threads, either multiple people are using this account or there’s deception going on or there’s a logical explanation that eludes me. The OP will need to PM me an explanation before I reopen.

2 Likes

I’m reopening to allow the OP to explain the inconsistencies / give clarification and hopefully we can move forward

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.