What are my chances in getting into the Virginia Tech Engineering Program; what should I improve on?

I attend Franklin County High School, located in southwest Virginia, as a Junior.
Ethnicity: White/Asian
First Generation College(?): Yes

Extracurriculars:

1. JROTC Academic Bowl (2012-13)
  2. JROTC Cyber Patriot Team (2012-13)
  3. National Honor Society (2013-2014)
  4. Martial Arts (2014-present)
  5. VASTS (2014-2015)
  6. VASTS Summer Academy (2014-2015)
  7. International Club (2014-2016)

Possible:

1. Math SCAEL
  2. Homework Helper

Honors/Awards:

1. Academic Excellence in Physics
  2. Academic Excellence in AP Computer Science
  3. FCHS Graduation Marshall
  4. Kata 2nd Place East Tidewater Challenge
  5. JROTC Cyber Patriot: Completion of Level 1
  6. JROTC Academic Bowl Award

Grade/Advanced Placements,Honors/AP Exam Score:
(12th) AP Chemistry –
A+ AP Computer Science A Has yet to be scored.
B+ AP World History Pt. 2 3
(12th) AP Calculus BC –
A+ Pre-AP Precalculus –
A+ Pre-AP Algebra 2 w/ Trigonometry –
A Pre-AP Geometry –
A+ Pre-AP World History Pt. 1 –

Last Recorded Cumulative GPA(2014): 4.1

Grades/High School Year:
9th: 7 A’s, 1 B
10th: 5 A’s, 2 B’s
11th: 7 A’s
12th: N/A

Scholastic Aptitude Test (1 attempt):
500 CR
560 MT
510 WR
9 ESY

1060 CR/Math
1570 CR/MT/WR

– I really do not know why I did terrible on the SATs, but I have literally only spent a month to prepare so more than likely that was the case. I prefer to take the ACT in September and discourage a second trial on the SAT. However, I have sent my SAT scores to VT when filling out information for the test… will this count against me if my ACT scores were to be excellent in comparison to my SAT scores?

American College Test (September)

College Credits/Credit Hours:
Biology - 1 CHs
English - 1 CHs
Government - 1 CHs
Intro to Engineering - 2 CHs

There is no chance of getting into VT Engineering with those SAT scores. Your grades and extracurricular activities are fine. You should not need a month to study for the SAT especially Math. The Math section covers mainly Algebra I and Geometry. With the grades you have received in Math you shouldn’t be scoring a 560. I would consider taking both the SAT and the ACT. VT will take the highest scores on the SAT so if the scores dramatically improve it will help you tremendously. If the SAT scores still stink then you can still rely on the ACT.

VT Engineering prefers that applicants take a class in Physics. Good luck.

I’ve taken Physics in my Junior year and received an academic excellence award with a final grade of 96 A. I’ve planned to take AP Physics, but the class will not be accepted in next year’s academics due to lack of applicants.

Otherwise, I extremely appreciate your feedback! I’ve known that my SAT scores were not where they should be, especially Math. I really do not know why I did not do well on the Math section – possibly a first experience error?

OK. It’s good that you have taken Physics. VT will expect that you take a challenging workload offered by your HS. So if they don’t offer AP Physics no worries.

Yes, it’s quite possible that your first time with the SAT was a fluke. Try doing some SAT preparation work (self study). If you are getting correct answers in practice then it should translate well for the actual test. Wrong answers are worth negative points rather than zero so if you have no clue to the answer don’t guess. For verbal, if you can narrow your choice down between two it’s usually beneficial to guess. Good luck.

“There is no chance of getting into VT Engineering with those SAT scores.” Thanks for the advice. I’m happy to announce that I’ve been accepted to Virginia Tech College of Engineering, University of Virginia College of Engineering, Old Dominion University College of Engineering, and Hampden-Sydney College. SAT scores cannot possibly be a precursor to one’s abilities; they are only an estimate that can either be highly underestimated or overestimated. Yet, I appreciate your time for writing a proper response, but I don’t find reliability within College Confidential anymore.

What got me into those programs?

You have stated that my extracurricular activities were fine, but you did not actually research them. VASTS was probably one of the major reasons why I was able to be accepted since I had the opportunity to gain connections from NASA and aerospace industries as well as the experience as a potential engineer. There were many more factors that came into play, but that was most likely the biggest.

So for anyone else reading this, you can be whatever you want as long as you put your mind to it. Don’t ever be arrogant and place yourself higher than others, for that will fall harder on you than a stack of bricks. Learn from your mistakes and you will become smarter and more efficient than those haven’t tasted defeat.

@AsianForce1 I’m so glad you got into all those schools. It boggles my mind that anyone would be so cruel and arrogant to say those things to someone else. Colleges are looking for well rounded people not just people with perfect scores and grades. Trust I’ve seen people with perfect scores and grades not get into top schools. Just because you are perfect on paper does not mean you will do well in college. Congrats again and good luck in your journey.