What are my chances of getting into a Nursing Program?

<p>Hi Everyone, </p>

<p>I'm currently a junior in high school and my goal is to become a nurse. I know nursing programs are very competitive and hard to get into, so i'd appreciate it if some of you would go over my stats and tell me where I stand.</p>

<p>GPA: Weighted 3.8 (as of now)
SAT: 1830 CR: 610 Math: 590 Writing: 630
Class Rank: 47/454 (as of now)
Clubs at School: Red Cross (Co-President), Biotechnology/Bridge to Employment (Vice President), Rocketry Club
Extracurriculars: Volunteering at a Hospital: 100 hours (as of now), Church/Youth Group,
Work Experience: Interned at LifeScan, a Johnson and Johnson company, for 6 weeks over the summer</p>

<p>And if it means anything, I'm a male. I've read on here that it might be slightly easier for me to get into some schools?</p>

<p>Junior year has been the worst time for me. My grades plummeted and I got 2 C's last semester. It looks really bad that my grades went down (In AP Classes). Can someone tell me if this would make or break my acceptances?</p>

<p>Also, is there anywhere you think I should apply? (Preferably not a 2+2, or pre-nursing program)</p>

<p>Thanks, I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Your stats are almost identical to my daughters and she was accepted to every direct admit nursing program she applied to. Now she didn’t apply to any extremely selective programs because we needed her to qualify for merit money as well, also she only wanted a small college close to home so those factors limited our choices considerably. We are in PA and only looked in PA and NJ. Apply early to colleges with rolling admissions as their nursing quota fills up fast. </p>

<p>Oh okay. Fortunately, on the east coast there seems to be many more direct admit schools than on the west coast, where I am. Thanks!</p>

<p>My daughter is a Senior nursing major at Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT. Excellent Nursing program. Small and competitive. We did our research North to South east. Her nursing education has been amazing! It’s one of the toughest majors. Your stats look great. Not to worry about the C’s you mentioned. It happens and it may happen in college. You are human! When researching schools look at the nursing department, their educators, their technology, their hospital affiliations, their NCLEX results. Google them. Remember, you are paying them to give you the best education. Also look at the town in which you will be living for four years. You have to feel “at home”. Don’t be afraid to apply to many as it is a very competitive major. Also apply to a school even thought you may think you can’t afford it as you may be offered grant and/or scholarship awards. Many Florida Universities are “limited” access. It means that you go there for a couple of years and although you’ve been accepted you basically then apply to the nursing dept and may or may not get accepted. We did not want to take that risk. So ask a school if they are direct/immediate to the nursing major and visit more than once if possible. Good luck!</p>

<p>Hello! I am a rising senior and I was wondering where your daughter applied for nursing school if it’s not a bother! I am planning on applying to colleges in NJ and PA because I live in NJ! I was thinking about applying to TCNJ, Rutgers University, and Pittsburgh University (which I heard was really tough) but I’m sure there are a lot more colleges out there that I’m not really familiar with! It would be wonderful if you replied back! Thank you! </p>

<p>Missjenn: </p>

<p>I’d take a look at various private direct entry colleges within a reasonable driving distance that have reasonable tuition and/or where you might be eligible for merit or need based aid. Many list automatic merit aid requirements on their website, and you can also try the net price calculators. </p>

<p>There are a ton of direct entry nursing programs in private colleges in the eastern half of PA, most of which offer merit aid. However, if faced with a choice between an in-state public or a full priced high-priced private, it usually pays to stick with one of your in-state publics. </p>

<p>You also may miss out on thousands of dollars of college grants from your state if you attend an out of state college. I believe that is particularly true in N. Jersey.</p>

<p>In most cases, I’m not sure most public universities are worth the out of state price if you would not receive aid, and most do not give much aid to out of state students.</p>

<p>By the way, there was an article published today that U. Delaware had a much higher yield among students admitted to their freshman class than they expected. As a result, the dorms are full of triples. They will probably compensate by being stricter in admissions this year. </p>