What are my chances? Texas A&M University

<p>Hi, this year I am going to be a Texas high school senior and therefore am applying to colleges at the end of this summer. My top school is currently Texas A&M however it would help if someone could let me know what my chances are and if anyone is a student at A&M what were your stats?</p>

<p>My Stats:</p>

<p>GPA: 3.7 Unweighted 4.3 Weighted
SAT: 1790 (590W 590CR 610M, I'm not sending this score)
ACT: 28 Composite: 25 Science, 26 Math, 27 English, 33 Reading
Class rank: 58/543 (Top 10.8%, missed top ten % by four!)
Extracurricular's: National Honor Society, Junior Statesmen of America, Secular Student Alliance, Band, Tae Kwon Do for 10+ years (I am a second degree blackbelt)
I also currently have a job at Kumon Learning Center grading papers and tutoring students</p>

<p>I have volunteer hours however I'm not sure how many as I haven't calculated a total.</p>

<p>Any input is helpful! Thank you!</p>

<p>I hate to say it, but missing being an automatic admit really hurts your chances. Let me tell you about my experience for comparison’s sake.</p>

<p>My Stats:
GPA- 4.9 weighted, 3.8 unweighted
SAT- 2060 (720 CR, 670 M, 670 W)
ACT- 32 (36 Reading, 32 English, 29 Math, 31 Science)
Class Rank- top 29%
EC’s: NHS, Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), Teen. Republicans Club, German Club, Band, Varsity Softball
National Merit Commended Scholar
50+ volunteer hours
Military kid who changed high schools b/w soph. and jun. year (which damaged my class rank)</p>

<p>I thought for sure I would be accepted, but they only offered me Blinn Team which is a joke. Obviously your class rank is much better than mine was which does help you, but as far as they’re concerned, if you’re not in the top 10%, you may as well be at the bottom of your class. I’m sure having a job will benefit you, as well as your dedication to Tae Kwon Do. If you can raise your composite ACT score to a 30 and your math score to a 27, you’ll be an automatic admit though, so I would try do that if I were you. Overall, it’s difficult to say what a person’s chances are of being accepted to TAMU because their admissions criteria is so jacked up.</p>

<p>If not auto admit, you would need to meet the Academic Admit requirements. You need to be top 25% but also score a 1300 on your SAT composite (Math & Critical Read) with at least 600 in each. ACT score of at least 30 with at least a 27 in the Math and English components, You would also need to write some kick butt essays.</p>

<p>This may be your best shot, but there are no guarantees.</p>

<p>Your chances depend on your major, too. If you are applying for Engineering, your chances are lower than if you are applying for another major, since that fills up and is very competitive.</p>

<p>What major are you considering?</p>

<p>This site has ACT and SAT averages by the different colleges at A&M.</p>

<p><a href=“http://dars.tamu.edu/dars/files/9d/9d6377ed-4c85-4f35-be75-4ad1b96c2b97.pdf”>http://dars.tamu.edu/dars/files/9d/9d6377ed-4c85-4f35-be75-4ad1b96c2b97.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Academic admits are just like auto admits, you are guaranteed admission to the university. The differences are that academic admission is available to OOS and the SAT/ACT performance level is mandated but the rest of the criteria is the same (essays submitted, but not used). Applying early is the key to get the major of your choice as majors are not guaranteed for either pathway to admission.</p>

<p>I would also agree that a retake of the ACT/SAT would be your best idea at this point to try to qualify as an academic admit. As you stand, you would be a review admit : 50% of admission decision is based on the combination of class rank & scores, the remaining 50% on everything else you have to offer ( EC,essays, job, volunteer hours, awards, interest shown in the school, recs, etc…). In some majors there are very few review admits since the majors are also filled by rolling admissions (to a certain capacity & then competition for the remaining slots). Although they say major does not affect admission, it sure seems like it is factored in
for review candidates based on who they select to admit to the university out of the review pool. Traditionally full majors early in the process are Engineering, Business, Architecture, & Psychology. You can apply early & keep updating your file with better scores should you improve your status prior to the Dec 1 cutoff. Good luck!</p>