What are my chances to get in as a transfer?

<p>Here’s some background information: at seventeen-years-old, I started at an out-of-state school and did poorly for an assortment of reasons, some personal and some academic. Long story short, I left after two semesters with a 1.7 GPA and a decided disillusionment with the world of academia.</p>

<p>I took two years away from school, got a great job at a major financial institution, and thought a lot about what I want out of life. Reading and researching lead me to a subject I’m truly passionate about: philosophy. For intrinsic reasons, completing my education became an imperative.</p>

<p>Two years ago, I started school again at a two-year community college (UW-Waukesha) as a part-time student. For the past four semesters (plus summer and “winterim” sessions), I’ve gotten straight 4.0s. I’ve been taking a wide variety of classes to satisfy the breadth requirements (philosophy, English, math, chemistry, art, anthropology, political science, physics, etc.) and demonstrating my aptitude across disciplines. </p>

<p>Additionally, I would have no problem getting great letters of recommendation (a couple of professors have explicitly told me to come to them if I need recommendations), and I know I can write a great admissions essay. I don’t have any experience with on-campus extracurricular activities, but I do volunteer occasionally. My job itself may benefit my chances: I’ve been working for a well-known company for four years, working 55-65 hours a week during my enrollment. My employment started out as a short-term contract, but I moved to the role of supervisor within ten months and have been overseeing a team of ten people.</p>

<p>Though I’m not sure if it will make a difference, my high school record was largely forgettable. I graduated with a cumulative 3.6 and only got a 29 on the ACT.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if my recent grades and experience will redeem my past performance to an admittance committee, but I feel may have a realistic chance to get into UW-Madison. Has anyone else had similar experiences with restoring a tarnished academic record? Any input on this situation or how to improve my chances for admittance would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>High school grades and test scores don’t matter, your college GPA is the most important thing so it looks like you’re in good shape.</p>