What are my chances to get into Texas A&M Engineering in College Station?

Hi everyone,

I am an incoming HS Senior at a 6A Texas high school.
I am really hoping to get into Texas A&M Engineering, hoping for Chem Eng, but I am concerned about the holistic review process.
Let me know what you think my chances are and if there is anything I can do to improve my chances.
Here are my stats:

Top 5% of class of over 600 students
1380 SAT (630 English, 750 math)
AP Test scores:
AP Chem 5
AP Calculus 4
AP World Hist 4
AP Physics 3
National Honor Society
3 year varsity cross country runner
4 years in upper level orchestra
first alternate all region orchestra
member of numerous organizations and extracurriculars

Thanks in advance!

@brl2000 You are an auto admit to the university and judging by past cycles, with your math score, you will be admitted to engineering. They won’t see your AP scores.

@brl2000 as Thelma2 stated you should be in no problem. You won’t pick your specific major until the spring of your freshman year… at that time you will compete for slots based upon your academic record at A&M. Look up Entry to a Major process on the TAMU website for a complete explanation of the process

@Thelma2 what are my chances to get into tamu engineering? I am…
In state, top 10% (barely top 10% of a large public highschool)
ACT 30
SAT 1470 (710 English, 760-math)
AP classes taken : world history, US history, Chemistry, Physics, AB calculus, English 3, English 4, Microecon, US govmt.,
My extracurricular is somewhat weak.
200+ volunteer hours. Also I am in NHS

@TAMUHopeful176 I would say your chances are very good. Your math score is excellent. ENGR isn’t looking at your EC’s etc. They are looking at your Calculus and Physics readiness because you will need to be ready to hit the ground running in ENGR Cal I & II.

@Thelma2 thanks. Based off of what you’ve seen what would be the “lowest” scores and class rank to be accepted to tamu engineering? Obviously the student can offset a low score with a better class rank. But what would that middle ground be? top 10% with a 710 math score?or top 7% with a 740 math? Or a lower qualifications like top 15% with a 690 math score? also what do you think the lowest qualifications youve seen admitted?

@TAMUHopeful176 Admissions to the university takes into consideration your rank and test scores. Engineering is looking at your Calculus and physics readiness.
Last year, there was an academic admit who scored 1410 740Math and 19% rank and a top 10% with 1170 get Blinn-Bryan ENGR Academy, or a top 7% with a 1310 670 math get full admit to CStat.

Being admitted to Engineering is one thing. Having the ability to stay in is another matter all together. It’s tough with a 55% retention rate. Be ready to hit the ground running in Calculus. It will be nothing like you have ever had in high school. The current freshman class, just under half failed the Math Placement Test at their New Student Conference and were placed in Pre-Calculus. They were allowed to retake it during Howdy week and if they passed it, they could be moved to Cal I, if there were spots available. For many, there weren’t open spots to be had.

@Thelma2 thanks for the info. Also I just got an email from TAMU telling me that I have full admission to the college of engineering at TAMU! The email came crazy early for whatever reason