What are my chances?

<p>Hello, I am an African American incoming Senior in a Southern California high school. I have a 3.135 unweighted, 3.56 weighted GPA. My SAT Reasoning was 1920, (Critical Reading:650 Math:660 Writing:610). I have taken 5 honors course and 2 AP courses so far and plan to take 2 more AP's senior year. I hold board positions in four clubs and I am the president of one (a community service organization). I am also involved in ASB and will be ASB VP this upcoming year. I am a two sport varsity athlete. After looking at school averages and stats, I feel as though I am deeply lacking in my GPA and SAT score. How much will my ethnicity and extracurricular activities have an effect on my admissions chances? Also, here is a list of schools I am looking to apply to, where should I expect to get in? SDSU, Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Poly SLO, LMU, UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara. (I'm applying as either a Philosophy/Political Science major). Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!</p>

<p>The UC’s banned the use of Affirmative Action in admissions, so your ethnicity will not help. You need to calculate your weighted CSU/UC GPA, see link: <a href=“Cal State Apply | CSU”>Cal State Apply | CSU;
It is usually about .2 to .3 higher than your unweighted GPA depending upon how many Honors points you get for your classes in 10th-11th grade.
For the Cal States (except SLO), they use an Eligibility index to determine acceptances. EI= (CSU/UC GPA x 800) + (SAT CR + SAT Math). If you are around 4000, you have a good chance.
For the Cal States:
CPP: Match
SDSU: High Match/Low Reach
SLO: Low Reach/Reach</p>

<p>For the UC’s, GPA is weighted more heavily than test scores, so based on your current information:
UCB/UCSD: High Reach
UCD/UCSB: Low Reach</p>

<p>LMU: High Match/Low Reach</p>

<p>I would look into UCSC and UCR for the UC’s and Cal State Long Beach, Fullerton and your local in-service Cal States for better matches.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! I will take what you said into consideration and look at the aforementioned schools.</p>

<p>I have calculated my UC/CSU GPA, but on the course list ASB or Leadership is not listed. Is that a mistake or do I not get credit for the twos years of classes I took in ASB? I also got a D in Chemistry Honors 2nd semester and plan on retaking the course during the second semester of my senior year. Does that have an affect on my college admission chances? </p>

<p>ASB or Leadership will help on your application for your EC’s but not for your GPA. Yes, a D will hurt you since admissions will see the D reported on your application, but you have no repeat grade to replace it by the time you submit… You can make a comment on the UC application, indicating you are retaking the class 2nd semester, but unfortunately the damage to your GPA is done.</p>