1270/1600 on New SAT
19/24 for SAT Essay

Didn’t take ACT

No APs taken.

Activities:
4 Year Band Member
2 Year member and Vice President of Republican Club
2 Year member of DECA
Volunteered for a few organizations in the past year.

6 Months Work Experience in a Market Research Firm

Trying to major in Finance or Marketing

Unfortunately maintained a low-profile grade wise during school and underachieved.

What do you think are my chances of getting accepted into A&M, and also what do Admissions look for specifically? What else would help boost my chances as I am about to enter my senior year of high school?

Since you are not in the top 25% you will be placed into holistic review for admission so I would suggest that you work on raising your SAT score to at or above a 1320 or take the ACT and shoot for a 30 or above. Talk with your HS counselor.

Chances … for mays… a maybe.

Admissions look for rank, test scores, course rigor, and extracurricular.

I’d recommend taking the September ACT because the next ACT date won’t give you scores till October 22nd. After the early action deadline and since your a review, you wanna slide in under that deadline. Think you can study for the ACT in a month? Bc if you get a 30 then you will have a good chance of admission.

Your rank is 36% and score is short of academic admit level. Those two factors are half of the decision process for holistic review. The other half are your essays, EC, leadership & recommendations (if submitted). You are first admitted to the university, then if space allows to your major. Mays fills very quickly - you might not get in even if you’re admitted to the university.

Have a back up plan - most admits to Mays are early decisions for holistic review - right on the edge of academic admit (lacking in one of the areas only -scores or rank- with a great essay) mostly because there are very few spots open after the academic and top 10% are admitted. " Prepare yourself for potential Blinn team option or PSA, admission for review candidates is quite competitive. I previously calculated stats of review admits for class of 2018 in an earlier post, I copied the info for you below ~
Here’s the Review Admit category breakdown:

13% Full admission
19% Blinn Team
3% Gateway
42% offered PSA ( 38% qualified)
23% no offer of admission ( 27% after PSA non-qualifiers added)