What are my Chances?

<p>Weston R.
Palo Verde High School
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Middle” Middle Class
Caucasian Male
Finished Half of 11th grade</p>

<p>Clubs–
Guaranteed Senior Year - Vice President National Honor Society (NHS)
Guaranteed Senior Year - Vice President of Forensics (Speech and Debate Team)
Guaranteed Senior Year - Vice President of Palo Verde Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
Junior Year - 107 Hours Community Service with NHS (tutoring, volunteering, donating)
Junior Year - Treasurer of FBLA
Junior Year - Plethora of Awards at Forensics Tournaments (Varsity Team Member)
Junior Year - Member of Junior Varsity Track and Field Team
Junior Year - Will Win Awards at FBLA State Conference
Sophomore Year - Historian of FBLA
Sophomore Year - Plethora of Awards at Forensics Tournaments (1st Year Varsity Team Member)
Sophomore Year - Member of Junior Varsity Cross-Country Team
Sophomore Year - Member of Varsity Lacrosse Team
Sophomore Year - Volunteer Assistant Lacrosse Coach to Sig Rogich Rough Riders Lacrosse Team
Sophomore Year - 2 Awards at FBLA State Conference
Sophomore Year - Active Member of Science Club
Freshman Year - Secretary of FBLA
Freshman Year - Active Member of Science Club
Freshman Year - Attended FBLA State Conference
Freshman Year - Member of Varsity Lacrosse Team</p>

<p>Work Experience–
Summer 2005 - Worked With Local Construction Company Remodeling a Restaurant
- Assistant, Management, and General Construction Duties
- Hannahs Family Bistro, Las Vegas, NV
- Donald Ross, Boss and Father
Summer 2006 - Worked With Local Construction Company Modifying a Restaurant
- Assistant, Management, and General Construction Duties
- Hannahs Family Bistro, Las Vegas, NV
- Donald Ross, Boss and Father
Summer 2007 - Not Determined Yet, Most Likely will be employed at a Golf Course, Internship, or Construction work again</p>

<p>Hobbies-- (for what its worth)
Running, Lacrosse, Billiards, Longboarding, Frisbee, Web Page Design, Reading</p>

<p>School–
Unweighted GPA through half of 11th Grade : 3.381 - Class Rank 183 of 668 - Top 30% of Class
Weighted GPA through half of 11th Grade : 3.931 - Class Rank 132 of 668 - Top 20% of Class
(GPA’s will increase with completion of Junior Year and Senior Year AP Classes)</p>

<p>All A’s and B’s so far except for: Algebra 2/Trig H First Semester C, Chemistry 1 H First Semester C,
Algebra 2/Trig H Second Semester D, Chemistry 1 H Second Semester C
Geometry H First Semester C
All Honors Core Courses
Senior Year Classes will be AP Government, AP Economics, English Lit H, Math 124 (College Course in Jumpstart Program), Forensics, Modern Music Technology (Fine Arts Class)</p>

<p>PSAT Scores -
CR - 53, Math - 58, Writing - 55, Total 166, SAT predictions are around ~1750 - 1800~ because of prep classes, techniques, and studying (Princeton Review “Cracking the SAT”)</p>

<p>What are my chances of being admitted at Tier 1 and Tier 2 UC schools
ex: UCSB (#1), UCSD, UCB, UCD, UCSC, UCI
Also what are my chances at: Cal Poly SLO
I think I can get in at ASU and U of A
Also SDSU</p>

<p>Also what are my chances of recieving University merit scholarships and what about need based aid with an EFC of 7000 - 8000
I’m an out of state student, because I dont want to attend UNLV or UNR for obvious reasons.</p>

<p>that's weird
i go to palo verde high school
but in blythe california
oh and ucsb is my #1 school
i got in with a 3.7 and 1710 sat
lots of e.c.'s and comm service
you seem to be in good shape to get in</p>

<p>You've got good EC's, however the couple C's and one D you have may hurt you. If you can get an 1800 on the SAT you've got a shot at some of the UC's. When you apply to Cal Poly you compete against applicants applying for your major. So if you pick a not so popular major you might be in that way. I think Architecture, Business, and Engineering are impacted at Cal Poly.</p>

<p>UCSB-reach
UCD-reach
UCI-reach
Cal Poly-Slight reach
UCSD, UCLA, UCB-major reach
UCSC, UC Riverside-match</p>

<p>When I am finished with Senior Year, i will have finished 5 years of honors math, ill have Alg 1H, Geom 1h, Alg2H, TrigH/math97, and math124/127
how much weight would the D in alg 2 hold if i have other classes that overlap it? Does 5 years of Honors math make up for the D...</p>

<p>Also what do you mean "will be impacted" are these the most popular majors/colleges?</p>

<p>and lastly, what is it that makes UCSB and UCI "reach"?
Is it because im OOS??</p>

<p>thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>Regardless of how many math classes you take that D isn't going to look good. Can you retake the class this summer to wipe the D off your transcript?</p>

<p>By impacted I mean it's a lot more difficult to get into that major. At Cal Poly the three I listed are the most difficult majors to get into. Also at Cal Poly it's fairly difficult to switch majors so apply for the one you'd stick with all four years.</p>

<p>I think UCSB and UCI are a reach for you because of the one D, you are OOS, and both UCSB and UCI are getting harder to get into. I was rejected by UCSB with a 3.8 UC GPA and an 1800 on the SAT. However, I did get into UC Irvine and Cal Poly.</p>

<p>Is that GPA you listed your UC GPA? Check the UC Website to figure out how to compute it. The UC's will only give you the extra honors point for UC approved honors courses. You should be able to find your school and it'll tell you which ones are honors to them.</p>

<p>Have you decided what SAT II's you might take? It sounds like you'll be able to bring up improve your SAT from the PSAT. I did the same thing, I got a 160 on the PSAT, took prep, and got an 1800 the first time I took the real thing.</p>

<p>would a communications/political science major be easy to get in with?</p>

<p>go to <a href="http://www.calpoly.edu%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.calpoly.edu&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>It'll list the average GPA and SAT Score of the students admitted to each major.</p>

<p>^Is that the Cal Poly GPA as they refigure it, or the school's GPA?</p>

<p>Probably the Cal Poly GPA (which is the UC GPA as well) as that's what they ask for on the app.</p>

<p>i couldnt find the link on the website. if you could post it, that would be nice.</p>

<p>Here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ess.calpoly.edu/_admiss/Pdf/Profile06.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ess.calpoly.edu/_admiss/Pdf/Profile06.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Cal Poly GPA includes freshman year.</p>