What are my chances?

<p>here are my stats: </p>

<p>HS graduation year: 2011
UW GPA: 3.5
Weighted: 3.8
SAT Composite: 1940 (math + cr: 1320. i'll take the ACT this september & i'll re-take the SAT this october)
Took all AP & honors classes offered at my school. i also took a class at a local university for college credit.</p>

<p>EC's/awards:
Played JV tennis for 2 years, varsity tennis my senior year
Academic Spell Bowl team -- state finalists all 4 years, regional champions 3 years
Math team - regional champions 1 year. state champions 1 year.
National Finalist for 2 years in a row in a neuroscience competition
National Finalist for 2 years in a row in a public speaking competition
National Finalist for 2 years in a row in a essay writing competition
Marching Band State Runner up -- freshman year
Speech team - central indiana champions 1 year.
National Society of High School Scholars
National Honors Society
FIRST Robotics team for 3 years -- won a regional championship in 2009 (had leadership position)
VEX Robotics team for 2 years -- won a regional championship in 2009
Rocket Club
Vice President of Chess Club
Played violin for 6 years, performed at various concerts</p>

<p>Volunteer Activities: (total = slightly over 100 hrs)
Assisted my tennis coach in coaching small children
Assisted my tennis coach in his adult tennis classes
Volunteered at a local hospital
Assisted the Salvation Army </p>

<p>i want to major in biology with a concentration in neuroscience & do pre-med.
what are my chances at UW?</p>

<p>Worth your while to apply but also have a safety.</p>

<p>Do you know how good the life sciences are at Wisconsin?</p>

<p>One of the best areas and one of the best in the US. Most popular area to study.</p>

<p>I had a 3.8 and a 35 on the ACT and I was postponed–> rejected. It’s a reach but anything can happen.</p>

<p>oh wow really? did you have great EC’s and essays too?</p>

<p>^ EC’s were good, but I wrote “go badgers!” for the essay because I wasn’t overly enthuisiastic about the school plus I thought it was a safety. </p>

<p>In that case… if your essays are good you might be more matchy rather than reachy.</p>

<p>I think you’ve got a match stats-wise. I know they really care about the essay…a lot. I read an article about the UW admissions process and they said so many great applicants don’t write a good essay and that kills them. If you write something well-thought-out, I think your chances are good.</p>

<p>LoonLake sent a loud and clear message to UW- s/he didn’t care to attend and UW wisely gave the available spot to someone who wanted to attend UW. Shows how attitude can affect admissions chances.</p>

<p>um well i had a GPA well below that at 3.2, my ACT was a 31, I was out of state, and I got in…</p>

<p>I am a minority, which might be a factor…I did have good ECs and I do believe i had a pretty good Essay. Im almost positive if u dont outwardly show u have no interest in this school, u shud be fine haha. good luck!</p>

<p>You’ll be more surprised by mine. I actually didn’t know my stats were this low until I got a SOAR sheet that shows secondary school data. </p>

<p>My cumulative GPA was 2.6, but I’m unsure about if this is correct or not because below that it says “HS Transcript GPA: 4.410.” I’m not sure exactly how this works. I know my GPA was not that high, that may be out of a 5 scale which my school went by. </p>

<p>My ACT was a 30. I’ve had conversations with my admissions counselor she said my essays, recommendations, ec’s were all excellent, but she, not surprisingly did not like the GPA. It may have helped a bit, but I was also born in Russia moved here when I was six and am still fluent in Russian. I’ve also taken only honors and AP classes. </p>

<p>I applied for general engineering. I honestly slacked off when it came to academics in high school, but don’t plan on doing that in college. I can’t continue being this lucky.</p>