What are some of the best things about the University of Alabama?

<p>As a parent, some of the best things we love about Bama… (besides the fact that Bama educates our kids)…</p>

<p>Walking from The Ferg to Denny Chimes or to Bryant Denny</p>

<p>Walking thru the Quad during tailgating on Game Days</p>

<p>Listening to and singing, “Sweet Home Alabama,” during games.</p>

<p>Walking around The Strip</p>

<p>Eating Downtown</p>

<p>Walking along The RiverWalk</p>

<p>Shopping and eating at Midtown Village</p>

<p>New to me this weekend -</p>

<p>The music performance studies facilities are really top-notch and the program looks competitive.</p>

<p>Weather is generally beautiful - nothing like Alabama in the Spring!</p>

<p>Easy to navigate on foot - while it would be nice to have a car to get off campus now and then, there is really nothing you need that you can’t walk to.</p>

<p>Reading on the steps of the Gorgas library.</p>

<p>Seeing so many dogs on campus!</p>

<p>Malanai, im a student at UA and would love to get involved with the sailing club. Is there a web page i could visit or any other way to contact one of the members of the club?</p>

<p>Best things about Univ. of Alabama?</p>

<p>yes, this is important… something about the water, my hair looks better here :)</p>

<p>I’m honestly very shocked as to how LadyDianeski is berating UNC. I think she forgets that MANY North Carolina students with good SATs are also looking into Bama, including myself. NOBODY on the UNC forum was slandering/libeling you in any way whatsoever, we were just pointing out how merit aid is a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT and how you bashing UNC for that simple fact is unethical. </p>

<p>I’m sorry you feel so strongly that your son deserves a full ride to UNC and that your theory about the “holistic” approach is 100% wrong. Yes, the holistic approach has some degree of subjectivity, but that’s pretty much the focus of admissions. Have you ever wondered why some kids get into Ivies while others who are equal in resume-strength get rejected? Also, let’s break down the word “holistic”, meaning WHOLE. Therefore, schools want students who bring a packaged deal, not just one thing, and if you’re an employer, would you rather hire someone is just good at work or someone who is good at BOTH work AND communication with peers? I’m pretty sure you’d choose the latter.</p>

<p>I got the UNC Honors College invite because I worked my ass off every day after school, not getting home most days before 4 P.M. while all of my friends got to leave early at the “senior bell”. Leadership is the one thing colleges want; at this point, admissions is becoming so competitive that colleges can choose students who, like your son, have great scores but ALSO have qualities that portray their ability to (1) adapt to the college life quickly with little transition time and (2) be a positive influence on peers/participate in activities outside the classroom.</p>

<p>Honestly, I respected your stance from the beginning; however, as time progressed, you started becoming more and more crude towards UNC simply because they didn’t provide your son with merit aid, which is VERY scarce to begin with. Another thing that I’ve been pondering is why you’re making such hasty conclusions before you’ve even received your Financial Aid package, which I heard UNC is very generous with.</p>

<p>I think Bama is a great school and I have many brilliant friends who are attending their Honors College and LOVE it due to their close-knit student body, SEC sports (especially football), and prominent Greek life.</p>

<p>Speaking of Greek life, considering Bama is pretty much dominated by fraternities/sororities, how do you think your son would adapt to such an environment considering he’s never attended school with other classmates? ESPECIALLY to a large public school? I think he would have a harder time adjusting to Bama than UNC…just my $0.02.</p>

<p>I also don’t believe that a score on a standardized test equates to intelligence, and there are many sources to prove it, especially Wake Forest’s policy that standardized test scores are not required. Do you know why? Some students aren’t as good of test takers as others. High school is run on multiple choice tests; but as you get to your higher-level college classes, it becomes more focused on presentations and projects, so these standardized test scores essentially mean nothing in the long run.</p>

<p>Intelligence is based on an OVERALL package, grades, scores, and ECs. Having just one or two of these qualities is not enough to warrant merit aid, in my eyes, unless you are extraordinary in one of them (aka curing cancer, doing some type of ridiculous research, etc), which your son, as you stated, clearly does not have. As I stated, the holistic approach looks at the package.</p>

<p>I’m definitely considering Bama as an option because of their great Honors College and strong Greek-life affiliation, but in no way would I EVER berate UNC because they did not give me merit aid. I find that to be a pretty bitter action, like you DESERVE something because of a “good” score on a 1-time administered test.</p>

<p>I find it pretty insulting that LadyDianeski is not only berating all of the posters on the UNC forum, but SLANDERING the school in general based on monetary purposes BEFORE the Financial Aid package has been delivered. </p>

<p>Practice what you preach.</p>

<p>*Weather is generally beautiful - nothing like Alabama in the Spring!
*</p>

<p>Yes, once you get past the humid time the first couple of weeks, the weather is really good…and even when it is cold, the sun is usually out and the sky is blue with fluffy white clouds. </p>

<p>Yes, on weekends, people do walk their dogs on campus. I really like that, too. </p>

<p>I also like reading/hanging out in the new Lloyds Hall dining venue. Computers to use and a back room that’s really relaxing.</p>

<p>Golfer…If you have an issue with another poster, why not contact them thru PM. There’s no purpose to bringing your issue with another poster here. </p>

<p>And…Bama is not dominated by Greeks. Only about 1/2 - 1/3 of kids are Greek. That means that a huge majority are not Greek. My kids aren’t Greek and enjoy a full social life and have non-Greek and Greek friends. No big deal.</p>

<p>I think Golfer response was on target. I would think you would find Lady Di’s rants against UNC inappropriate. Golfer just gave a well reasoned and true reply to a post on this thread. If you doubt this just check the scholarship thread under UNC.</p>

<p>My dear Moreover, I think you have an odd definition of “rants.” I have consistently gone out of my way to keep my tone civil and my arguments carefully reasoned. Which is more than I can say for several of my interlocuters.</p>

<p>“I got the UNC Honors College invite because I worked my ass off every day after school, not getting home most days before 4 P.M. while all of my friends got to leave early at the “senior bell”.”</p>

<p>golfer, what is your implication? Have I ever denigrated your achievements? Have I remotely implied that you did not deserve the recognition you’ve received? Not in the least. So, where is the problem?</p>

<p>As I have stated repeatedly, apparently to no avail, I am concerned about the money angle for entirely practical reasons. I have never suggested – in fact, I have strenuously denied – that my son is somehow “entitled” to merit aid at UNC. Am I disappointed that he has received none? Of course. That is only natural. The absence of merit aid essentially rules UNC out for us. At the same time, however, it also serves to clarify our choices. It throws Bama’s appeal into sharper relief. Most people want to to be where they’re wanted, after all.</p>

<p>I know you’re a teenager, and I’ve learned from experience that it’s no use arguing with a teenager. :slight_smile: But, at the same time, I must say I find offensive your implication that your achievements make you somehow more worthy of scholarships, etc., than other UNC acceptees. You seem to imply that you alone have “worked your [tush] off,” etc. etc. etc. Surely you must recognize that this is going a bit far?</p>

<p>In a home-school, there is no “senior bell.” My kids follow a rigorous curriculum, day and night, throughout the year (including summers). Although they have participated in relatively few formal ECs (mostly church youth groups), they’ve spent a lot of time hiking, playing outdoors, and just being kids. Color me old-fashioned, but I think there’s something to be said for hiking down to the neighbors’ creek, finding box-turtles in the backyard, and sitting out on the back porch discussing Life on a sleepy summer afternoon.</p>

<p>My kids have focused more on academics than on “leadership” because, frankly, in our view, the primary purpose of school is learning. And, believe me, they’ve also worked their tushes off – just as much as you have, I guarantee. </p>

<p>My older son reads both Latin and Greek at a very advanced level. Are you arguing that such attainments require no effort, that they are negligible compared with ECs? </p>

<p>Does it occur to you that not everybody has access to the sort of extracurricular opportunities you’ve enjoyed? Do you think that poorer rural school districts offer, say, Mu Alpha Theta or a highly competitive debate club? Should kids be effectively penalized for having fewer EC opportunities? </p>

<p>I guess I am at a loss here. You have a particular view of What Education Should Be, and that’s fine. But it’s not necessarily everyone’s view. Nor is it the classical view – a view going back to Socrates and Plato, a view embodied in the great medieval universities of Paris, Bologna, and Oxford. Our family follows this classical view, and I would respectfully submit that it has just as much legitimacy as your own view. </p>

<p>“Leadership is the one thing colleges want,” you say. Says who? And since when? If you are a born leader, God bless you, and more power to you. But that doesn’t mean that every kid should be a leader, nor does it mean that that’s the primary thing colleges look for. Can you furnish any hard evidence that this is mainly what colleges are looking for? Somehow I tend to doubt it. </p>

<p>I’m not even sure what “leadership” means in an academic context. Academic leadership? Intellectual leadership? Moral leadership? That’s what it meant to Plato and Petrarch. If it now means “future CEOs and congressmen,” then God help us. :wink: (Only kidding…LOL!)</p>

<p>This thread is not the proper forum for a broader discussion of philosophy of education. But I do think such a discussion is worthwhile, perhaps in another CC forum. To tell the truth, before I came to CC, I had no idea that ECs were such an obsession – that students felt so compelled to knock themselves out racking up hundreds of “service hours” and so on. I view this trend with alarm, because I think it goes beyond healthy balance and moderation. When do today’s kids have time to just be kids? </p>

<p>This current fixation on ECs reminds me a bit of the wonderful discussion of “accomplishments” in Pride and Prejudice:</p>

<p>**“It is amazing to me,” said Bingley, “how young ladies can have patience to be so very accomplished as they all are.”</p>

<p>“All young ladies accomplished! My dear Charles, what do you mean?”</p>

<p>“Yes, all of them, I think. They all paint tables, cover screens, and net purses. I scarcely know any one who cannot do all this, and I am sure I never heard a young lady spoken of for the first time, without being informed that she was very accomplished.”</p>

<p>“Your list of the common extent of accomplishments,” said Darcy, “has too much truth. The word is applied to many a woman who deserves it no otherwise than by netting a purse, or covering a screen. But I am very far from agreeing with you in your estimation of ladies in general. I cannot boast of knowing more than half a dozen, in the whole range of my acquaintance, that are really accomplished.”</p>

<p>“Nor I, I am sure,” said Miss Bingley.</p>

<p>“Then,” observed Elizabeth, “you must comprehend a great deal in your idea of an accomplished women.”</p>

<p>“Yes; I do comprehend a great deal in it.”</p>

<p>“Oh! certainly,” cried his faithful assistant, “no one can be really esteemed accomplished, who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.”</p>

<p>“All this she must possess,” added Darcy, “and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading.”</p>

<p>“I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.”**</p>

<p>And on that note, I will resist any further urge to “take the bait,” as my friend loring has put it. ;)</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>My D also liked that there are dogs everywhere!</p>

<p>And while my D is a member of the Greek community and enjoys it, 70% of the student body at UA choose not to participate in Greek Life. </p>

<p>She also participates in several clubs that are academic/ honor/ and service based.</p>

<p>I love that much of the service work at UA serves to better not just the Tuscaloosa community but also the whole state of Alabama (and beyond!)</p>

<p>D said to add the free spin classes at the rec center:)</p>

<p>We’ve recently have visited some more campuses for my son for grad school, and I can tell you that after 4 years on Bama’s beautiful campus, my son has gotten spoiled. It’s hard for other campuses to compete with Bama’s beauty and maintenance.</p>

<p>However, when visiting other campuses, we’ve been seeing many, many buildings that need renovation or removal. Even simply power-washing some of the buildings would be an improvement to many buildings on other campuses. I realize that the economy in some states is really bad, but come on…how much does it cost to power wash some buildings and stairs? </p>

<p>Yes, a few Bama buildings still need need updating, but they’re probably “on the short list” for either renovation or removal. Bama seems to have a rotation list that it has been following for renovation. </p>

<p>BTW…what are the plans for the Honors College building? I’ve heard that more updates/changes are in the works for the interior. I would like to see an honors lounge area there. I know that Lloyds has a nice area next door, but I would like to see a lounge area there of couches/chairs/tables…even if the only food/drink options are a row of nice vending machines.</p>

<p>Should this thread be a sticky? If so, should it be combined with another thread…such as the one that features new stuff and future changes? </p>

<p>I’d like to recommend some threads to become stickies, but I know that CC doesn’t like having too many.</p>

<p>[Survey</a> | Qualtrics Survey Software](<a href=“http://alabama.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/SE/?SID=SV_3POvQ9b3v2qOpyA]Survey”>http://alabama.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/SE/?SID=SV_3POvQ9b3v2qOpyA)</p>

<p>I urge all the parents and students here to complete this survey, even if you are unsure if UA will be your school. This is our chance to have an impact. I know I have read a lot of good ideas and critiques at this forum, so please let UA know what you think about it’s campus, good and bad! What ideas do you have for making it better? Now is your chance to have a say!</p>

<p>Done! Thanks!</p>

<p>My suggestions…</p>

<p>For campus:</p>

<p>Improve the rankings of STEM majors and the B-School (Bama has spent a lot of money on facilities and has hired more profs, but Bama needs to do whatever it takes to bump the rankings.)</p>

<p>Get a donor to name the College of Engineering and a donor to name the Honors College</p>

<p>Build more on campus housing and more honors housing (honors housing doesn’t have to be super suite)</p>

<p>Build more multi-level parking structures</p>

<p>Expand Crimson Ride to include more off-campus stops…especially at night and on weekends.</p>

<p>Add a Pre-Health Honors Program</p>

<p>For the T-town area</p>

<p>More hotels at all price-points</p>

<p>More restaurants at various price-points (I wish I had included some of the suggestions from that earlier thread! :frowning: )</p>

<p>Further improve the Downtown area</p>

<p>Add a Convention Center and futher develop a Performing Arts Center</p>

<p>Help Bryant-Denny become a Bowl game venue (requires more hotels/restaurants in the area)</p>

<p>Forgot to mention…</p>

<p>further develop The RiverWalk area to make it more of a tourist destination</p>

<p>Expand T-town airport</p>