What are some of the top nursing programs on the east coast?

<p>There’s a reason why the school’s nickname is Vanilla-ova. This is potentially very relevant to “fit.” </p>

<p>Its law school has gotten black eyes lately from several scandals but its nursing school has a good reputation. Another good thing about Villanova is its location. You can get to Philly without being in the city. I also liked the kids that I met there when we did our tours, although I was not impressed with the Admission Office’s arrogance. They announced in the session before the tours that they knew everyone wanted to go there because they were so great, so it was going to be up to applicants to convince them that they were good enough to be accepted. The law school has had scandals recently, but I’ve heard that the nursing school has a good reputation. Villanova’s cost and scholarships are obviously big factors for many students.</p>

<p>I believe that all the Nursing Programs mentioned on this thread are quality programs. Each program has its pros and cons (obviously depending on the eye of the beholder). I don’t think any one program is so outstanding that a nursing program applicant should feel that if she/he does not get into it that they will receive an inferior nursing education.</p>

<p>Actually the true measure of a nursing education is the effort the indivdual student puts into it when they attend the program. Obviously applicants who are accepted into any of these programs have the “smarts” or they would not be accepted. Unfortuneately if you don’t apply yourself once you get there you are likely to receive an inferior education. I believe that if a nursing student is highly motivated, applies themselves to the best of their abilities, enters a quality nursing program, that they will obtain a quality nursing education. Having been involved with the Healthcare Field for over 30 years I know of many “very smart” indivdiuals who were accepted into top “ranked” nursing programs who thought they could rest on their laurels and just “coast” through nursing school. Guess what? It didn’t happen for most of them and even those who “squeaked by” I would not want to have them as my nurse. Just thought I’d add this perspective here.</p>

<p>To reinforce the above post, if you look at the stats, it appears there have been some really smart nursing students at U. Penn who didn’t study enough for the licensing exam the first time they look it.</p>

<p>Excellent responces…</p>

<p>Yes, male nursing students are in the minority, but some universities deal with males better than others. UPenn and Seton Hall do. We have run into the laughter before but usually someone from the dais stops it and explains that the male nursing students are very good and bring a lot to the program…etc. That did not happen at Nova. Yes, I did email the dept. chair about how we felt slighted, and how we would NOT be applying to Nova. Yes, she was one of those on the dais that day.</p>

<p>Unfortunately my sons grades are not the greatest, but I believe that his heart is in the right place for nursing. I am very curious (both as a parent and an occasional patient) as to the following question: If a student has really good grades does that make him / her a good nursing student, but more importantly, does that make him / her a good nurse. I know my son is a certified EMT and does a lot of work with the local rescue squad, probably has more clinical experience than most of his class mates. It this this experience (and others) that makes me believe that despite the average grades, he will make an excellent nurse. I agree that you get out of college what you put in. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, we are starting to (if not already) live in a society that is be coming “those with college” and “those without”. Obviously cost has a lot to do with this. Just the fact that my child is attending a college is already limiting the diversity of the situation. I would hate to limit that even further.</p>

<p>This message board concentrates on some of the most selective nursing programs. Fortunately, there are also many nursing programs that are only moderately selective and that are not exhorbitantly expensive. </p>

<p>However, keep in mind that on the average, nursing admissions are more selective at most colleges than admission to the general population of that college. (An exception is at the most selective universities, where nursing is usually close to the general student population in admissions selectivity). Therefore, it makes sense to apply to some colleges that are one tier below the tier you otherwise would expect for admissions.</p>

<p>Kbshark:</p>

<p>My response to your two questions is “no, not necessarily”. Nursing Programs have a number of dilemmas to deal with when selecting students for their programs. First of all the number of slots available for BSN students, even at large universities, is small (frequently only a 100 -130 or so, and many fewer slots are available at smaller universities). Nursing is a very popular major and there are not enough slots available for all the students who want to major in it. So how do you determine which students to accept in a reliable/time efficient manner? It would be my perspective that most people would generally agree that nurses should be caring, concerned and empathetic individuals. However, these traits are very difficult to reliably measure as part of an admission process. So what else can you look at?</p>

<p>Nursing program curriculums have always been (and are becoming even more so) very intense and rigorous in composition. Programs look at things they feel would be predictive that applicants would be able to handle the rigor of the program and succeed in it. One way is to look at the rigor of an applicants HS courses and the grades the student received in at least college prep courses, and especially in advanced courses such as honors courses and AP classes. Getting good grades in these types of courses, while they do not predict that a student would become a good nurse, do show that the student can handle tough courses. Taking such courses also indicates that a student is not afraid to challenge themselves by taking such courses. Becoming a nursing student, almost by definition, implies that a student is willing to challenge themselves. Programs like to see this type of motivation in applicants.</p>

<p>Because of the wide variability in HS curriculums/rigor of courses a number of universities also use standardized tests (SAT, ACT) in an attempt to correct for this variability. This is especially true for larger programs that get a lot of applications. In fact some colleges screen applicants to begin with based just on these scores (a debatable issue from many people’s perspectives, but this is what some of them do). Many schools also look at EC’s-especially if an applicant has been involved in activities related to healthcare (ie volunteering/working at hospitals, being EMTs, etc.). Essays are also looked at by some schools (I think this is at least one way an applicant can communicate their traits of caring, concern, and empathy). A lot of programs use a combination of some or all of the above, possibly along with some other things specific for their university.</p>

<p>So what makes a good nurse or nursing student? I believe a number of books have been written on this topic with many perspectives and beliefs. One job I would not want to have is being on an admission’s committee making decisions on applicants for nursing programs. This is an extremely difficult job. Especially when you know that you will have to turn away a number of individuals who are qualified to attend and probably would make good nurses. Hope these perspectives are helpful.</p>

<p>Great info, advice and perspectives…</p>

<p>. S and I toured 11 different programs. Every single program warned of needing high grades and a very competitive admissions process. Due to a variety of issues S got the list down to 4 schools to apply to. I also got son in the mindset that if he were shut out of all nursing programs and his heart was still set on nursing then we would have to consider a community college nursing program for an associates degree followed by a RN to BSN program. Son was also considering going into a Paramedic program (community college program) then nursing school. There many ways to skin a cat… Some are better / nicer than others. </p>

<p>The good news is that he was accepted into a direct admission program from one of his top two choices (we are still waiting to hear from the other one). I think his essay and EMT work was what got him in.</p>

<p>U.S. News and World Report ranks the top nurse anesthetist programs. Here are top programs that are “near” NYC: </p>

<p>Albany Medical College
University of Maryland, Baltimore
SUNY Buffalo
Georgetown
U Penn
Uniform Services University of the Health Sciences (Bethesda)</p>

<p>Kbshark, let us know which programs your son was accepted to. that is great news. terrific move by your son with the EMT experience.</p>

<p>Don’t know anything about their program but Univ of Rochester has a nursing program and Univ of Rochester Medical center is right there.</p>

<p>Yes, of the 11 schools the usual number of nursing students accepted per year was about 100. </p>

<p>Son was accepted into William Paterson University, but missed the nursing program by 20 SAT points… (ouch). He retook SAT and did not make it.</p>

<p>He. Was wait listed at Ramapo College of NJ</p>

<p>We wait to hear from U. Del.</p>

<p>He was accepted at Seton Hall.</p>

<p>“absweetmarie”… A nurse anethetist program is very different than a BSN program. I believe, but could be wrong about this, but a nurse anethetist is a graduate program for someone who is already working in the field. </p>

<p>And I am not sure I would call Buffalo, Rochester or Maryland “near” NYC.</p>

<p>Now I understand why kids today send out 6 and more applications. In my day 3 to 4 was the norm.</p>

<p>The OP was looking for a school that is “a a five hour radius of new york city”.</p>

<p>kbshark,</p>

<p>I do know the difference between a nurse anesthetist and a BSN program. The OP said he or she wished to (at some point) to pursue nurse anesthesia. My listing of those programs was by way of pointing toward good schools in the preferred region where it might make sense to look (i.e., get your BSN at or in the vicinity of one of those programs and have an opportunity for exposure to those programs).</p>

<p>As to the distance: Admittedly, Buffalo and Rochester are beyond the 5-hour-drive radius specified, but not by a lot. Baltimore is about a 4-hour drive from NYC.</p>

<p>Yea, it is about a 6 hour drive from the Bronx to Buffalo, as long as there are no blizzards along the way. One of the snowiest places in the northeast US is near Syracuse.</p>

<p>Indeed, charlieschm. I love a road trip myself, so perhaps I am more willing to send people farther afield than others may be willing to go.</p>

<p>Yes those upstate NY places do have a lot of snow but out of the 9 months of a school year, you are probably safe to plan travel for 5 months of them. She could always take a train and do her homework. :)</p>

<p>At one university they mentioned how selective the process was but joked that however if you were a man., I was led to believe that a male appicant might get preference over an equally qualified female. They are looking for more males in the profession. for nurse anesthesia programs, they usually want you to have a couple of years of critical care experience before.
UConn is also a school to look into. My d loved Villanova. villanova does not give much merit aid nor does BC. UConn, U Delaware, Northeastern, do.</p>

<p>Hi, i am looking for some advice/pointers.</p>

<p>I will have bachelors degree in premed/bio soon. I applied to a bunch of physicians assistant schools, but did not get in this year. I was wondering how other people felt about completing a nursing accelerated program first, and then gaining some experience, and reapplying into PA?</p>

<p>Another option might be to get training as an EMT or paramedic and work for a year before you apply again, and maybe take a relevant college course or two while you work. With the high number of applicants for PA programs, I’m GUESSING the schools might be looking for people with a little health care experience. They probably see lots of applicants who wanted to go to med school, but then were looking for a backup.</p>