What are some red flags in a college application that not many people talk about?

Maybe somebody wants to start a new thread to discuss interviews and interviewers?

2 Likes

This is all a hypothetical idea. IMO, safeguarding as much as possible against efforts to game the system is what we need in the college admission process.
Rest of the developed world does not admit students in this manner. In many places, faculty interviews and dynamic assessments play a huge role.
I offer this anecdote. Yesterday, I found out that the entire engineering department of a selective school raised $5000 for charity through a yearlong event. I can easily count more than 10 kids in our social circle that have raised more than that, or claimed to have done so on their applications to colleges.
The system is not broken because of interviewer bias. I do not blame you however, to try and safeguard your ward’s prospects.

2 Likes

So cynical. My daughter established a non-profit to raise funds to help those with a medical condition that she has where there is no non-profit already in existence for this rare disease. Really sad to see so many assume the worst instead of the best.

2 Likes

I understand why you may feel this way, as the parent of a child who legitimately put in the time and effort to establish a non-profit. That is admirable.

However, as a very general comment, there are many kids who do this simply to “check a box for college admissions”. They are using parent connections and parent funds for the non-profit, rather than any legitimate on-going effort with a focus on altruism and sustainability. They setup a “non-profit” for an area that is already being addressed by long-established and successful organizations; if that is their passion, they should show long-term commitment to one of those organizations. The term “non-profit” is also thrown about and often used incorrectly.

The comments on this forum directed at those kids or upcoming students who may think that forming a new “non-profit” is the established path to an Ivy should not in any way diminish your kid’s achievements. You should be proud of her! And my best wishes for her health.

18 Likes

The point of the thread is not what I assume when I read about some kid establishing a non-profit… The thread is not about my assumptions at all. It is about what sort of things will make AOs roll their eyes and say “not another one!”, as they move on to the next applicant.

My cynicism is irrelevant. What parents and students have to think about is the cynicism of AOs and readers.

AOs and readers read hundreds to thousands of applications with “I established a non-profit to help low income kids learn math” or something similar every year. The red flag is having a non-profit like that on one’s application.

If that’s not the type of non-profit hat your daughter established, then it’s not a red flag, especially if she made this 100% clear on her application.

7 Likes

I’m guessing the AOs can easily tell the difference between kids like mine and the scammers.

4 Likes