What Are the best MIS / Information Systems major undergrad Business School in Texas and in other states?

Folks, Can you please let me know what are the top schools in TX and other states for an undergrad MIS / ITS major?

Here is the current US News. U of Az and ASU have always been strong and have good merit out of state….especially U of Az…it’s one of their home run majors.

In Tx, A&M, UNT, Baylor, and Houston pop up in some rankings as does neighbor Oklahoma.

Good luck.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-management-information-systems

1 Like

@tsbna44 thank you. Saw the link - very helpful. it had 26 universities listed. It ranks the top 12 schools and then lists the other ones without ranks. The last 14 ones are without ranks, but is it safe to assume, that those universities without rankings are still within the top 26 universities?

Well US News only ranks 26. There are other ranks out there.

I think with MIS you have good outcomes regardless - but I know UT and U of A have always been high up. U of A has great merit and is easy to get into.

But I think lots of colleges will offer strong MIS programs - but those two will be well recruited. I sent you others and if you google you’ll find more lists.

Here’s a different ranking, specific to Texas schools and this is the one for the nation. Whether you agree with this methodology or not, it’s at least a place to to find some names to research further.

1 Like

@tsbna44 and @AustenNut thank you for the information. very helpful. Do you know if the BS in Information technology and systems at University of texas at Dallas is the same as any other MIS program?
https://infosystems.utdallas.edu/bs-its/

1 Like

I would assume it is, but this is not my area of expertise.

I’d compare requirements or accreditations but it’s likely the same or similar
What type of grades / test do u have ?

UGA’s MIS program is great. Graduates do very well.

currently SAT at 1470. Aiming to get to somewhere between 1500 to 1530 or so by March. Weighted GPA around 4.4 or so, with several AP classes.

If cost a factor Alabama will be dirt cheap. Or the highly ranked Arizona could be. f you have a 3.9 or higher unweighted GPA. A 3.9 would be $8k a year at present costs and 4.0 would be $3K or so. Bama would be $3K. They don’t use the test and they’ve always been highly ranked in that major. A 4.0 is dirt cheap. A 3.9 cheap…based on auto merit. Oklahoma will be reasonable for a Texan as well and is solid. Frankly in MIS you’ll be fine at most schools. Depends what you want from a school…

That’s if cost a factor…those are three to look at for sure.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/

https://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/incoming-transfer

Besides the ones mentioned above, I would like to recommend the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV), they are a small school (but growing A LOT) which some years ago was actually two universities that merged together: The University of Texas at Brownsville and the University of Texas PanAmerican.

Both schools have excellent programs and are recognized world-wide for their science departments and research centers so is safe to say the school holds a high regard for quality (a friend of mine is working at a NASA research center there).

Okay I tried to add the link and the file for the program of study for information systems of UTRGV but the forum didn’t allow me that (maybe because I’m new lol), but anyway, I do recommend to check it out.

@tsbna44 when you say U of A, is that Alabama or Arizona?

I try to list out more - and I don’t see where I said it - but to me, Alabama is Bama and Arizona is U of A (married to an alum).

I noticed their MIS program was their “highlight” 20+ years ago when I was seeking my MBA - and every year I check they’re at the top. Bama is also strong.

OP hasn’t given us requirements - just TX or outside (which is pretty much everyone) - so if you’re looking for cost/rank, Arizona seems very high and Bama and OU seem to be top 25-ish (at least in one rating) and will be cheap.

But there’s tons of great schools - and not knowing what matters to OP, cost may not be an issue.

1 Like

@Collegemichmatt if not at least Top 6%, no way of getting MIS at UT.
I hear/see great things about UTD, and I know Baylor and A&M have great programs also.

1 Like

@52AG82 I understand she may not get automatic admission to UT Austin. But if she has a decent SAT (1500 plus) and decent GPA and ECs, leadership, Internship etc, is there still no chance at all with UT Austin?

@Collegemichmatt i am sure @tsbna44 has a more accurate answer with data. But MIS is in McCombs, so I’d say very unlikely, unless maybe National Merit.

UTSA is #1 in the nation for cybersecurity, and it’s a field with a virtually 100% job placement. It’s also not hyper-competitive like the other elitist schools in Texas. And their football team is better than UT-Austin.

@coolguy40 so what undergrad major would i apply for the cybersecurity? is it CS? or MIS? and perhaps a minor in Cybersecurity?

Here’s a link from the UTSA catalog.

4. Carlos Alvarez College of Business < The University of Texas at San Antonio.