What are the chances for me for these 3 UCs of Computer Science?

Here are my stats:
UC GPA: 3.9545 (3.96) UW: 3.81
SAT: 1320; M: 550 CR: 400 WR: 370 (Old SAT)
New SAT: 1000 M: 590 CR/WR: 410 (New SAT)
ACT Comp: 21; M: 25, S: 21 CR: 19 W: 6
I took 2 AP classes junior year, took the physics exam got a 1.
Currently, taking AP Calc AB, AP Chinese, AP Literature. Planning to take AP Calculus, hoping to shoot for a 4 or 5.
I’ve applied to UCD(denied), UCLA, UCSC, UCSB (All CS Major w/ Comp Eng Alt Major except UCLA (undeclared))
I come from a low-income, first generation student, and is an immigrant whom is a permanent resident.
Not really much EC to mentions.
In my essays, I wrote about struggle of English for me, how much I really want to get into Comp Sci, talked about the major and my own personal experience with it, such as learning the basics of C at home, parents not speaking English/able to help me, etc

So my question is, since my SAT scores are so low, are my chances of getting accepted to any of the UC basically zero? I’ve been pretty shot down by the denial of UCD, but that was expected due to my poor SAT scores.

Did you apply to any safety schools?

I got accepted into SJSU(undeclared) & CSUS (Comp Sci), and possibly CSULB (Undeclared), but I’m not sure if I want to go there as undeclared but if that’s what it takes then I have no choice but to go as undeclared, but SJSU is probably my safety school atm, oh I forgot to mention I’m a ELC (42/531) at my school.

ELC means if you don’t get in to your UC’s you can get into Merced. It doesn’t mean you get a choice to any UC.

I know, am I better off going to SJSU instead of Merced? And am I able to choose a specific major for Merced if I’m ELC?

Bump, anyone?

If you are ELC, UC Merced will offer you a spot at their University but no guarantees it will be in your 1st choice major. If you are intent on pursuing CS, then you go with the direct admit at CSUS. Switching into CS at SJSU and CSULB will be extremely tough and again no guarantees.

Not sure why you didn’t include UC Riverside or Santa Cruz on your list. Very respectable CS programs and you would have had a better chance with your scores.

If you are not happy with your choices this year, you could consider taking a Gap year. You can work in something major related and try to increase your test scores to reapply in the next admission cycle. The other alternative, is start community college and use TAG to transfer to a UC.

I included Santa Cruz however not Riverside because I’ve never heard of them so I didn’t apply to them, what are the chances do you think I have at Santa Cruz?

Might have a shot at UCSC. Decisions will be released early morning March 15 for UCSC so you’ll know soon!

I agree you do have a chance at UCSC. Best of luck next week

I’m praying that I get in! Btw, by any chance do you know if the CSUS CS program is good by any chance? I saw a post where they ranked higher than SJSU in 2015, but I’m not sure.

You will get a good education at CSUS, but definitely not ranked higher than SJSU. Make the most out of whichever school you end up attending. Take a look at CSUS’s CS curriculum and compare to the other schools to see if they are comparable.
Best of luck.

Alright, thanks a lot! Also, what do you think my chances are for UC Santa Cruz?

Your UC GPA is on target, but your test scores are very low (below the 25th percentile) and since you applied to a highly competitive major, it would say 50/50 chance just based on stats. Remember EC’s and essay are also part of the application review so they could help your chances.

GPA and test scores of middle 25%-75% students

High School UC GPA: 3.65 - 4.09
ACT Composite Score: 25 - 31
SAT Critical Reading: 530 - 660
SAT Mathematics: 560-700

Yeah… I’m not a really good test taker. I’m just hoping that my UC essays will boost me along with the struggles I have with me, so I might have a shot right? I’m hoping I get in, praying for it.

Keep us updated when you hear on March 15.

Yeah for sure, thanks raising the hopes of mine! :smiley:

Waitlisted for computer science, does that mean I"m basically declined? :frowning:

If I appeal, and they say no, does that mean I’m declined or stay in the waitlist?

Which school are you waitlisted? Some UC’s let you file an appeal while on the waitlist, some do not. Read over the waitlist information and accept if you want to stay on the waitlist.

You still need to enroll (SIR) to another school by May 1, if you do not hear from your waitlisted school. If you are then accepted off the waitlist, you decline your enrollment at your original school, accept the new school but lose your enrollment deposit from the original school.

If you can appeal while on the waitlist and your appeal is declined, you can still stay on the waitlist unless otherwise stated by the school. For an appeal to be valid, you need to have new and compelling information that was not previously disclosed on your original application.