What Are The Math Labs For?

<p>At Bama Bound we had to register for both a math lecture and a math lab. My Avanti group did not explain what a math lab was. It appears the the labs have no credit hours and the class meets once a week?
What are the labs for? Do we meet every week?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>They are usually trailers out in the woods where people make drugs out of cold medicine. Usually visited by people with more tattoos than teeth.</p>

<p>Oh wait… you said MATH labs. Sorry. No idea.</p>

<p>^^^LOL</p>

<p>Correct me if i’m wrong, but from what I understood from orientation, the labs are for math tests (where multiple sections take the test together so multiple versions of the test are not needed)</p>

<p>What math course did you register for? All MA courses below calculus-level are taught are a bit differently than traditional lectures in the past. The class meets once a week for a lecture to learn the material. Then the student goes to the Math lab to work on exercises and quizzes on computer software. You’re required to spent at least around an hour and half in the lab working on the computer. I can’t explain it very well, so you should look through the MTLC website to get more familiar with how your math course will work.</p>

<p>[Mathematics</a> Technology Learning Center](<a href=“http://mtlc.ua.edu/]Mathematics”>http://mtlc.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>slippy, I glanced at the topic and saw “Meth Labs” as well. Deviant minds think alike. ;)</p>

<p>I thought they were for counting the number of BCS championships won…</p>

<p>^^^Only Auburn needs a math lab to learn how to count that high.</p>

<p>Maybe I should have said the number of points scored against LSU…</p>

<p><<grinning>>
But seriously, for Calc and above MA classes, the labs are sometimes used for exams and/or extra practice. In some classes, labs do not have mandatory attendance, but you still cannot register for other classes that conflict with that time slot. In some classes the labs are only 4x (or a certain # times) each semester (i.e., not every week). Some labs are used by professors to hold consultations or by TAs to provide help. Some might even be used if a class was missed and needs to be made up (e.g., prof illness). </grinning></p>

<p>In other words, plan on having to attend, and if you don’t have to once you get your course syllabus, consider it a bonus.</p>