What are your backup college choices if denied Fall 2011 admission to UW-Madison?

<p>Do think of employment potential after graduation. Being in Psych you may be first thinking grad school. But, the Twin Cities is home to a large number of Fortune 500 companies - Target, UnitedHealth Group, Medtronic, 3M, US Bank, SuperValu, General Mills and many more. In other words, the employment prospects may be better there for you.</p>

<p>Go to the school that most appeals to you- use your “gut feelings”. You may end up changing your major so the total package matters most. The winter differences are small enough I wouldn’t choose one over the other based on that factor alone. Be sure to revisit each campus before you have to decide- it will be worth it.</p>

<p>UW-Mad (postponed)
KU & S.U.N.Y-Binghamton (tied for 2nd) (accepted with scholarships)
Nebraska (accepted w/ scholarship)
Marquette (accepted with scholarship)</p>

<p>1.) University of Washington (haven’t heard back yet, but if I get in)
2.) Penn State University Park - accepted</p>

<p>Bumped for the wait listed.</p>

<p>s is in California</p>

<p>1) UCSD,UCD,UCSB will know on all decisions in the next few days(d at UCSD)</p>

<p>2) Minnesota- accepted 12/1 with nice scholarship and already great oos cost.</p>

<p>3) Marquette- accepted with scholarship, 10k/year, waiting on dental scholars decision</p>

<p>In state cost for any UC is the same as oos for UW and Marquette(with scholarship) and Minnesota is 4k/year less then all others. Minnesots has gone above and beyond to throw out the welcome mat, very impressive. The goal is grad school, so maybe Minn. is a smarter choice then getting your butt kicked academically daily at a UC. My daughter is a senior at UCSD and will be in grad school with a 3.3 but it’s a dog eat dog, daily fight with top students who have no life beyond books. The dorms are on the best surfing beach within 400 miles and only a few students take part. Saturdays on campus is a morgue, all studying. Half the campus is pre-med so I get it. Still kind of sad that this is where are kids have been pushed to academically. Things have changed from the late 70’s," what’s an ap course, man".! LOL</p>

<p>Son waitlisted so not counting on Madison anymore and a hard reality :frowning: This was his number one choice and he thought it was a safe school given his stats- What a SURPRISE</p>

<p>1) U vermont (accepted with small scholarship)
2) U Minnesota (accepted)- Does not want to go because we live in MN- but great school!!
3) Indiana University Bloomington (accepted)
4) Boston College (waiting)
5) University of Southern California, Emory, Vanderbilt and Duke (all stretch schools and waiting to hear by end of month)</p>

<p>Hard to know- Sometimes a crap shoot with these harder colleges. He has friends who did not get into the University of Minnesota or Madison this year but got into Vanderbilt and Emory ED II and last year a friend of his did not get into Madison but was waitlisted for Harvard and was accepted in June from waitlist. She dropped everything and is at Harvard. Oh well…I find it all maddening and wish I was more relaxed and laid back about it all but maybe it is being a parent of an only child. Seems to help to have support from other parents on CC.</p>

<p>My d’s theater major) rankings:

1. Minnesota - Twin Cities (waitlisted)
  2. Muhlenberg (accepted)
  3. Drew (accepted)
  4. Kansas (accepted)
  5. Wisconsin - Madison (accepted)
    home state: California
    She’s giving MN until April 16, then it’s Muhlenberg (and there’s nothing this Wisconsin grad can do except support his daughter’s decision - I’m just happy I agree with it).</p>

<p>Update for S:</p>

<p>Accepted: UW Madison, U Minnestota, U Illinois, UC San Diego.</p>

<p>Decision: UW Madison. </p>

<p>He is happy with it. That is all we need to know.</p>

<p>Good luck to everyone in making your decisions!</p>

<ol>
<li>UW-Madison (Accepted, attending)</li>
<li>UC- Davis (Accepted)</li>
<li>UC- Berkeley (Accepted)</li>
<li>Cal Poly- SLO (Accepted)</li>
<li>UCLA (Accepted)</li>
</ol>

<p>Hometown: California</p>

<p>wow thisisaidee, why are u choosing uw madison over UC’s? what’s your major?</p>

<p>Update-</p>

<p>son chose Minnesota over UCSB, UC Davis, (with 50% scholarship) and Marquette (12k scholarship). Go Gophers! UW waitlisted him. Boo Bucky.</p>