What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

I just applied to Capitol One to get more points for travel, then my daughters said it will help them buy concert tickets they both want to go, so more bonus.

1 Like

That would be great…except we want to go to Arizona.

I have to agree that tickets are more expensive. One of the reasons where I fly out of is that there are less flights. Less flights, very full, don’t have to discount.

There used to be 4 flights everyday to Philly where one of my kids lives. Now there is one nonstop flight. So that flight is now very expensive. I really don’t want to stop in Charlotte on my way to Philly.

Florida has always been cheap to fly to. We’d like to fly other places. Family lives in other places.

Yes, I just meant that not all tickets are more expensive. We paid more a couple of years ago. Same city.

Phoenix…double the cost we spent a year ago. Double. $900 round trip each. We will wait and see if the prices drop.

I just booked nonstop flight to Spain for April. $800 from NY. Thought that was pretty reasonable. Same as what we paid in 2017. Last year was $1100 but we were coming out of Covid and demand was high.

3 Likes

I booked on JetBlue recently, the points went up, from LAX to Boston used to be 13K, then 21k, then 22k, and now 25k. I finally had enough points to book it. Phew!

My flight from Boston to Heathrow is $500. Not sure if it’s reasonable, but the tickets are vouchers from my daughter. Hotel prices are definitely up. Hyatt went from 15k to 18k points for one night.

If dates and times are flexible, my kids have had success in getting reasonable fares to their preferred venues.

My dates are very flexible. We aren’t going until March…so I’ll wait. I can fly midweek and at any time.

The stricter your time constraints, the fewer options.

I see Southwest has one way about $242 in March, not non stop.

From where?

Maybe BDL, are you from Connecticut ?

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check. I’m also watching United.

Check the low fare calendar. This is what I found, just a snap shot.

1 Like

I know someone who recently returned from air travel with COVID-19. Did get the latest booster, but perhaps too soon before the trip for it to be effective.

Airplanes supposedly have very good ventilation and filtration systems, but they may not necessarily be running when on the ground (e.g. during boarding or leaving), and a nearby person may breathe virus at you without the virus air going through the airplane’s ventilation and filtration system. Seems that air travel precautions (especially outbound, when getting COVID-19 could destroy the purpose of the trip) would include:

• Wearing an N95/KN95/KF94 mask through the airport and in the airplane as much as possible.
  • In the airplane, opening the overhead vent fully and aiming it just in front of your face, so that the air you breathe in will be mostly that which came through the airplane’s ventilation and filtration system.
6 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I’ll be sure to open the vent, good idea. Already was planning on masking. Although I’m not sure it’s as effective when I’m the one who doesn’t have covid

I haven’t noticed any significant difference in prices for the places we, or my kids I buy tix for, fly. The place I typically fly (Baltimore to San Diego) has not gone up that much in price but what I have seen is there are no longer nearly as many direct flights. There used to be a few options per day, now there is only one. There also used to be a red eye on the return from San Diego - nope, not any longer. Fortunately my travel is for leisure, to visit my daughter, so I’m able to schedule my trip around the days/dates where I can find cheapest airfare.

My son flies back and forth to Cincinnati to college and still able to get direct flight round trip for less than $200.

I’m fortunate to live near three major airports so I think that helps in finding reasonably priced airfare, tho I almost always find the cheapest fares out of BWI. Good for me since that is the closest of the three! But for someone needing to fly to or from smaller airports, I imagine those flights can get pricey.

2 Likes

My kids haven’t. complained about difficulty getting good and reasonable flights from DC (now NY’) and LA to HNL & back. They’re very flexible on dates & times, so that helps.

I’m flying from Hartford/Springfield. I don’t have three airports from which to choose, and that is limiting. And BDL isn’t exactly a large airport…but it’s very convenient for us.

Prices in and out of airports like BDL are higher than NY or Boston anyway.

1 Like