What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

My brother just flew a SWA flight. He said the staff couldn’t have been nicer to everyone, helping with boarding, luggage, snacks, etc. Not a hitch at any airport or flight.

I’m flying SWA in 2 weeks. I’m expecting excellent service.

1 Like

I hope you’re right. We have lots of money into lodging, and we can’t drive across the ocean :). I don’t expect any troubles, and I’ve generally been pretty happy with Southwest. But I really hope they don’t strike.

1 Like

Gotta say this somewhere, so saying it here. I’m having a little melt down over packing for our Grand Cayman trip that’s starting Saturday. I was planning on using a particular pair of shorts a couple of times, and now I’ve discovered they have a stain on the butt. Unfortunately I only have 1 pair that color (khaki), and Talbots, the likely store to have similar shorts near me, doesn’t have any in stock. I KNOW this is a first world problem, but I was so close to “decided.” Fortunately I have many other options, and I never need as much as I bring. I will be so much happier once we are there and have picked up our friends who will be joining us (another stress point) and can relax.

2 Likes

Can you do a serious soak of the shorts in all the stain cleaning supplies you have? Spray with a stain cleaner, soak for 24 hours in Oxy, manipulating with your hands the stain area a few times - and see if MAYBE the stain will come out???

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I THINK that’s what I did at the end of last summer, and it turned this one area a lighter khaki than the rest. I probably never wore them again, so didn’t notice until today. I probably shouldn’t have called it a stain, but it was easiest to explain that way.

1 Like

Not sure why but my flight out of Long Beach to Maui was empty - 180 seats empty (not complaining) these were taken just before take off & mid-flight - almost no masks in the airport - it was raining when we landed but sunset from the lanai brought a full arc!

5 Likes

We have been in Argentina for 7 weeks and fly home early next week. We enter the US in Miami with an onward flight home to CLT. Am I correct that there are still no mask requirements on any of the flights in the US?

No masking at all really in Argentina and really hoping there are none on any of our US flights.

Our recent flight to Hawaii was 1/3 empty. Lodging was hard to find after I booked the flight! It was super expensive, too, compared to what we used to pay and also to the cost of plane tix.

1 Like

Currently booked to go to Maui in May. On SWA. Considering changing the flight to Hawaiian Air because of the planned SWA strike vote. Turns out HA has cheaper fares and the aircraft (both ways) seems to be wide open.

Yes. Lodging in Maui has gotten VERY expensive.

2 Likes

Nope, no masks required.

1 Like

Flew to Puerto Rico today and was surprised to see probably 20- 25% or so of the people wearing masks in BWI in general and on our flight. Didn’t hear anyone “definitely sick” at all though, which was a nice change from the Pre Covid days.

I guess time will tell if we end up sick or not. We did not wear masks, but did get the Bi-Valent booster a couple weeks ago, so it should be at its strongest.

As an aside, spent a large part of the afternoon driving around the island after eating at a very local scrumptious restaurant. Puerto Rico is gorgeous. If they were an English speaking island it would rank really high for H and I to consider as a second home, but I’m not super keen on learning Spanish and I don’t want to live somewhere where I don’t speak the native language (and no, not all Puerto Ricans speak English if you’re outside the tourist areas as we are). We’re here for quite a while, so I’ll see how much it grows on me as we prowl even more.

At the very least, we’ll enjoy visits with our S and DIL!

ps Many tourist places in PR want to see vax cards. I’m not used to that back on the mainland either any longer. We’ve had to show them to make some scuba reservations and to stay at some places when we’re not at S and DIL’s.

2 Likes

We are going to get our TSA precheck stuff done next week. The info says we must wear a mask when entering their area…we are going to a Staples Store…

2 Likes

It’s amazing how areas are so different with Covid mask expectations now. Most places we go they’re optional and it’s common to see a few people wearing them now and then. That’s true here in PR too.

Around here masks are required at medical offices. I had my yearly check up and was glad to see that my mask is still in my purse. Some restaurant workers wear them and I also see much more than usual in low priced grocery stores which I think reflect number of people who can’t afford to take time off from work or don’t have access to healthcare.

2 Likes

All good reasons for masking. And with others NOT masking, probably makes it even more important for those who need to not miss work or don’t have adequate healthcare to mask.

I’m still putting on a mask during the work week daily as is required in my medical facility.

My dental hygienist said they will probably stick with masking requirements from now on.

2 Likes

Seemed to me that dentists and hygienists were doing the masking and face shielding on themselves (obviously cannot have patients do that) before COVID-19. For COVID-19, they only added patient masking and other precautions when waiting and maybe better ventilation.

1 Like

We live in a mask bubble. Still see folks in masks regularly, esp in businesses and stores. I’m still masking. Noone makes snarky remarks. It’s always a jolt when we travel and noone is wearing them.

3 Likes

H and I are on the 4th day of our ski road trip. We left Southern California Saturday and crossed the border into Canada yesterday. We are getting ready to ski Revelstoke, BC today. Very little masking where we are staying and no masking at any of our stops along the way yesterday.

To all of my cc friends in Washington- it rained from the moment we crossed the border from Oregon and continued to rain when we crossed into Canada. H was offered a job in 1988 in Vancouver and when we talked about it I was worried about the amount of rain if we moved to Washington. We were in Northern VA at the time and waited until he was offered a job in Southern California. Washington lived up to how I thought it would be!

Had you driven through Washington a few days ago when the sun was out, you might’ve formed a different opinion. :laughing: :wink: But all that rain is what lets us enjoy spectacular mountain snow just a short drive away. Enjoy your trip!

Definitely fewer masked people here. I still wear mine when going into busy stores.

3 Likes