What are your thoughts about travel in the time of Covid?

I flew into Ft. Lauderdale a number of years ago when Spirit was having a lot of delays, cancellations and fights (the ones on the news with people throwing chairs while waiting, fist fights, screaming and crying). These fights were packs, it was hot, there were delays and cancellations of $69 tickets that required $300 tickets to get back home, multiplied by 4 family members. Many families bought these cheap cheap tickets to go to Disney or on a cruise. I wasn’t on a Spirit flight but flew into the same terminal. It was just asking for trouble. Too many people in too small a space. Too hot. Too much alcohol. Not understanding if the Spirit flight was cancelled, United or Delta would not get you home without buying a new ticket.

These were not business fliers who could just take out a credit card and get home. These were not experienced travelers who knew they could fly to Detroit and then Chicago if there were no direct flights. The workers were not highly paid union members so they just walked away too. If they do get on a flight, they are hungry and tired and cranky and take it out on the person who put her luggage in the overhead over a seat that wasn’t hers, or won’t move so that she can sit with her boyfriend or child.

Recipe for disaster.

2 Likes

Well, I am continuing to assemble my medical travel kit for our upcoming trip. It has OTC antihistimine, OTC H2 blocker, small bottle ibuprofen that I may move to a smaller pill container, Z-pak (antibiotic), Tamiflu, Paxlovid, Lomitol, travel nebulizer, prednisone, 2oz bottle of cough medicine with codeine, am awaiting 4ml containers of 3% saline.

We also plan to pack vitamins and supplements, which we normally take MWF.

1 Like

Make sure all of your medications are OK to bring into the country you travel to.

Yes, and if any of the Rx (with original rx labels affixed) are confiscated, I can live with that. The main one they MAY confiscate may be the cough syrup, but I only take it when ill and otherwise having coughing fits all night.

Just curious, how were you able to secure prescriptions like a Z-pack, paxlovid, etc without having a current need?

I’m traveling today. I’ll let you know how it goes!

2 Likes

Prescriptions for emergency supply bc of chronic conditions & travel plans.

2 Likes

Thanks - I (thankfully) haven’t had to travel with chronic conditions nor taken a really distant trip!

H and I are very high risk, despite our 5 covid vaxes. We have lung disease and are both 65+. Our docs are fine with us traveling, as long as we stay as safe as we can (which is one of the reasons we are going to Japan, where people wear masks, to protect themselves AND you). Our docs want us to travel with these Rx and sent the prescription in to cvs who filled it for me. H will reach out to his internist when they next speak later this month.

2 Likes

I am traveling through Sicily now. No mask. I wore mine a few times when I was indoor with large crowd. I am with 20 people and today is our last day. So far so good.

1 Like

Coming soon to an airport near you: more airline fees. Baggage fees will be big in the coming year.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/warning-more-airline-fees-are-on-the-way/

1 Like

Well…we travelled on Saturday amidst the weather related delays. It was also the first time we flew Southwest since December 2019. Trip was delayed by about 90 minutes at the end of the day. But lots of back and forth with departure time for the second leg of our flight. We were glad it was only 1 hour late in the end…or would have been, except we had to wait for the pilots!

Rental car…another whole story. I’m a Fast Break customer with Budget. The Fast Break booth was closed when we arrived…and my name didn’t appear on their screen. I had to go to the Avis Preferred booth where they had to find my reservation, verify it, and assign me a car. I am guessing Budget can’t find employees to staff the Fast Break booth which we were told closes at 10 p.m. every night. It all got resolved, but what was supposed to be an express rental car pick up…was not.

Masks? We have seen a few, but not many. On the planes, less than a few.

We did go backstage with our kid yesterday after seeing a show…and masks were required in the backstage area (I’m sure to minimize COVID exposure to the actors and musicians). They gave us masks there.

We just got back from a trip to Japan. Mask usage outside was upwards of 80% (indoors virtually 100%) in Tokyo where we started our trip. In Osaka where we ended our trip I would estimate about 20 percentage less.

We returned on March 14, the day after Japan relaxed its airport masking requirements. We flew out of Haneda. On the 14th I would estimate mask compliance was only about 25% at Haneda - higher in the domestic terminal and lower in the international terminal.

(By the way - at Haneda all international flights were departing from Terminal 3 regardless of what our US airline app said. I would also give yourself plenty of time for security if departing via Haneda. Customs / arrival was a breeze though.)

1 Like

Thanks! We are flying in to Narita and out of Osaka and then Narita again. We plan to give ourselves a lot of time! We did use Welcome to Japan app to help ease the entry into Japan, including customs and immigration.

I just bought Uniqlo ultra warm tights because I hate being cold and 50F is very cold to me.

Our tour requires masking indoors.

2 Likes

We went to Japan in 2017 before covid and mask use indoors was about 10%.

1 Like

Along with COVID concerns we now have to consider the health of the pilot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/27/faa-pilots-health-conditions-va-benefits/

https://wapo.st/44rvV0z (gifted article)

I don’t travel much, but when I do, I take the interstate. When/if masks start making a comeback in airports, I definitely won’t be flying. I like oxygen. It has a sweet tangy flavor.

A friend has COVID and took a train, then got on a plane. When my son got COVID right after flying to his grandma’s funeral, he stayed in a hotel for 10 days to avoid exposing anyone on the plane home. I guess it must be common for folks to travel while positive.

Yes, my friend who tries to be “careful” flew back from FL to HI with mask after being covid + under 10 days prior and was at her grandson’s 1st bday party yesterday with a mask.

I flew into San Fran today and have a conference until Thursday. If I get covidn (caught it today or tomorrow), there is no way I can stay here(hotel is 400+ a night, as well as surounding hotels), and I may not know I am contageous yet. So I brought KN95 just in case.

4 Likes