What can we do to support Hispanic students and their families?

Arizona State has an amazing scholarship. My daughter received a 4 year full tuition scholarship to ASU because she was a National Hispanic Scholar. I definitely recommend Barrett’s Honors College at ASU. ASU is a big place but Barrett’s made it a cozier place and it was a residential college in which most students live together for most of their 4 years. I also know that Fordham also has a generous scholarship, too but don’t know the exact details. I wish I had a more detailed list. I have a HS freshman just starting her college search.

2 Likes

The original question on this thread was how can CC help the Hispanic community. My first thought was to send them an invite to join this community so that they can first hand ask for advice. Can CC partner with the college board or other organizations to reach out and send them an invite?

Someone else posted and asked or suggested that all things that affect socioeconomically disadvantaged families are similar hence there is no need for a particular effort to be put out for Hispanic families since it really does not matter which group you belong to. I can see that point perhaps. But my opinion is that there is at least one difference. Hispanic societies tend to live in an extended family situation. Dad, mom, grandma, grandkids, uncles etc. all live nearby and often in the same household. Once the kids can work they go to work and help the family. Your traditional American family is nuclear, mom, dad and kids. The kids are gone at 18. Many kids do not help their parents financially and parents do not expect that either. The result is many Hispanic kids feel that pressure to contribute financially or with labor to the family. This I believe is what causes such a high drop out rate for Hispanics. Now Hispanic Americans come in many different flavors so this is definitely not the rule but many come to this country uneducated and looking for a job and it takes a few generations before they can see the value of a college education and the fact that there are many resources to help.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. You provide valuable information. This information is so helpful.