What classes should I take to get into Ivy league Mechanical Engineering undergrad from IB program

I’m currently taking for my classes SL lang and lit English A, SL German B, SL Business Management, HL physics, HL AA math and HL Design Technology.

Are these applicable choices for getting into Top unies for Mechanical Engineering?
Sadly, after looking for quite some time, I saw that you need a minimum of 42 IB points.

Top universities for mechanical engineering and Ivy League? That’s not something most put together.

As for classes to prepare for ME, the highest math and physics you can take are what most would recommend.

6 Likes

And im guessing just getting 7s in all HL classes. Do you know or seen something talking about grades for getting into US colleges with IB?

@luccaw it sounds like you are perhaps an international student hoping to study in the U.S. is that accurate?

As noted, you want to take the top math courses you can to prepare for mechanical engineering…and get all top grades.

Could you please clarify if you are a U.S. citizen…or not?

1 Like

Im a citizen abroad, will try to get at least 42 IB points

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

As noted…you need to take a strong math course load.

And I do agree…I’m not sure all the Ivies are where you will find the strongest mechanical engineering programs…so why the Ivies?

1 Like

There are two reasons, The name can get me quite far in life and live on ‘easy mode’ and I also I toured them and really enjoyed the environment and setting. But thank you for responding I will look at other non-ivy league unies.

But back to the main question of requirements or information to get into engineering colleges?

Oh dear child…This is incredibly naive and simply untrue.

Fair enough, but if you can pinpoint which aspects of the environment/setting you liked best, perhaps there are other universities that might also be a good fit for you.

6 Likes

I would like to hear your reasoning behind why that’s naive and untrue. If you don’t mind explaining

Then why are the on the top lists of mechanical engineering colleges?

I mean, countless examples of people who have graduated from Ivy League schools who completely defy this characterization…

2 Likes

As an employee mechanical engineer, you will be expected to work very hard…not be on “easy mode”.

Go to an ABET accredited school for mechanical engineering…and plan to work hard. Because you will be…or you won’t have a job.

The elite school grads I know are in very high powered jobs where they are anything but easy mode.

3 Likes

I havent seen it personally then a normal school, people look at prestige and its harder and well put together. If you have any articles or evidence on you. I really would like to understand why, Not attacking but just curious, I wanna learn…

I am an adult who has been in the workforce longer than you have been alive and who participates in hiring at my current job and I can tell you 1. when I hire, I don’t give a flip if someone went to an Ivy League school. I can about their skills and their professional track record. and 2. As someone who went to a top 10 US high school with a high number of students matriculating to the Ivy League, I can look at the outcomes of literally hundreds of people I personally know, not to mention hundreds of others I have heard about anecdotally.

The Ivy League is not a free pass to the good life. If you want to advance in life, it is far more important to have relevant professional skills and experience and sometimes, depending on the field, those are actually far better gained at non-Ivy schools.

4 Likes

Do you really think the mechanical engineering programs at Ivy League schools that have them are harder than at Georgia Tech, Purdue, Olin, Harvey Mudd, many of our state flagship universities…and really most any other ABET accredited Mechanical Engineering program? If so…you are wrong.

You can get a mechanical engineering degree from University of Alabama, and have terrific internships and land a great job.

You seem to think this is unique to the Ivy League schools…and it’s not.

5 Likes

Sorry about the misconfusion, I meant you get a lot of job opportunities and ability to get easier promotions, accesses to better equipment etc. Also work with top people at similar passions.

Also I would work hard at any college or thing in life for engineering (Physics/Math related).

Also elite jobs can vary from person to person, in that sense. Some elite jobs are easier then less elite and vise versa

Not based on where you went to school, but based on what you can do for the company. If you gain the needed skills at an Ivy, then sure, great, that’s certainly possible. But there are many other schools where you can also gain solid professional skills and, for some fields, even better than you would an Ivy. That’s what gets you professional advancement. One exception is maybe investment banking. But that’s really it. So if you’re talking about IB, OK, maybe you have a point.

2 Likes

That’s not exclusive to grads from elite schools. My husband is a career engineer who has had fabulous lifelong wonderful job opportunities and promotions…because he worked hard! Didn’t do “easy mode”. The people he worked with shared his passion for the work they did.

At his place of employment, the place where you got your degree didn’t matter one bit. It was your job performance, ability and willingness to learn on the job, and ability to work with others at a high level that got you where you were. Not the name of the college on your diploma.

4 Likes

But let’s go to your OP. Take a very aggressive courseload and do well. And then apply to the Ivies if you so choose. Keep in mind that they are reach schools for just about every applicant. Even kids with perfect standardized test scores and grades get rejected from these schools every year. The acceptance rates are very very low. These schools reject 90% or so of applicants.

So while you are looking at the elite schools, make sure you craft a list that includes some sure things that are affordable that you like also.

And please read the thread I’m going to link below. This student was a NMF, top student in his class, excellent LOR and ECs. No one expected that he wouldn’t get accepted anywhere the first time he applied to college…but that is what happened. Read the whole thread. It’s older but is a must read for anyone who wants to apply to elite schools only. Oh…and this was in 2005 when admissions were far less competitive than they are now.

You’ll only find them highly rated by USNWR whose methodology uses no objective measurements.

3 Likes