What Computer Science Class Should I Take?

I am a rising junior(Class of 2022) and would like to learn computer science/programming and would like to start as soon as possible. However, a computer science class doesn’t fit into my schedule for the next school year. If I were to take a computer science class the earliest would be the fall of my senior year(Intro to C++) which may be to late to start learning, especially if I am considering majoring in CS. Therefore, I would like to use online school providers, namely FLVS. However, they offer two sets of programming classes : Foundations of Programming which uses Python and AP CSA which uses Java. I would prefer to learn Python if given the choice. Normally, I would take the more rigorous AP class but all my target state colleges only give either no-course equivalent 3 credit hours or some sort of computer literacy credit, which is mostly useless as I plan on getting an A.A degree at the same time as my high school diploma so the credit would be useless since I would tranfer the maximum amount of allowed credit (at least in Florida). I worry that FLVS will not be rigorous enough in the Honors course but I’ve reserached that AP CSA is very in-depth, but very time-consuming. I could also self-study programming/CS but I would rather have some tangible credit and curriculum. What should I do to learn Computer Science?

I would recommend the Python class. Diving right into AP CSA might be a bit much. Many/most schools that. Know of have an intro programming course as a pre-requisite for CSA.

I actually took both courses on FLVS.

I’ll be honest, the Python class was a waste of time. It was pretty trivial, but if you have never done CS before it may be a good start. A lot of the work is just busywork and can get annoying.

APCSA wasn’t as easy as I had expected. I don’t recommend taking that immediately. If you really are looking for a course, then start with the Python one, but imo the best way is just to self-study without a course.

Take that Python class. APCSA is ROUGH if you have no coding experience (at least at my school)

I suppose it is smart to take the Python class first. Is it even worth taking AP CSA at all then, if the credit may not be useful and I already know the basics of Python?

IMO AP CS A isn’t super in depth compared especially if you’re interested in CS (as you indicated). It might be a better idea to take AP CS A just because it’s an AP class, is more recognised by colleges and could potentially earn you college credits.