What computer to buy for TAMU Engineering

Hello all! I will be a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering at Texas A&M in the fall, and I could not be more excited!! I am trying to decide what computer to purchase for college, and I was wondering if anyone knew which computer would be best for engineering? I know that Texas A&M engineering requires you to purchase one of three specific computers, but any idea which computer is easiest to use / runs best with specific engineering programs? I really want a Mac, but I have heard that PCs are better for engineering… Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Here is the website where I found the specific computer requirements for TAMU engineering:
https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/byod/devices/2015-2016

I talked with a senior ME major at another university who was using an Apple laptop. He said it worked fine for all the engineering software he needed. I don’t know what kind of Windows emulation software he used.

My son and all of his friends in engineering use Macbooks. So far there has not been an issue at all.

Both of the windows laptops out perform the Macbook. However the Macbook will hold its value much longer than any windows computer. In 4 years you’ll still be able to get some of your money back out of it.
Do scholarships and financial aid cover the cost? Would be nice to know.

If you contact financial aid, the cost of the laptop can be added to your Cost of Attendance - since it is required for the program.

My son is a mechanical engineer at TAMU and he has a PC. Although he loves Apple’s, he says its much better to have the PC for engineering.

I’ve not heard anything from the engineering department or any other student that says a PC is better. Why does he think so? If the Mac had shortcomings I doubt it would be offered as an option.

Although most of the software runs on both Mac and PC, it seems the PC versions run a little better. He prefers the compatibility with other PC based software and he also uses some PC only products outside of engineering. It really comes down to personal preference. My son had the choice and he just felt better with the PC option based on feedback from other students he spoke to.

Thanks for the responses! for those of you who responded that you knew someone with a PC, any idea which brand/ type it is? looks like we can buy either the HP Zbook 14 or the Dell Latitude 7440… not sure which would be better :open_mouth:

I’m going to get the macbook pro 13 inch with 512gb storage. It is more expensive than the windows options but as the others have said it would hold its value. Also, A&M has an apple repair store on campus, so if something breaks you can just take it over there. Keep in mind that you need to buy windows and an emulator to run it on a Mac (unless you use boot camp and dual boot but I would rather run them side by side).
I wonder if I could buy the cheaper version and upgrade the ssd, but that might void warranty… Also Apple has announced new macbook pros with the new faster intel processor so I am paying more for an outdated model since I have to choose from the “list”.

I’m having the same questions for TAMU engineering. I’ve narrowed it down to the Dell Latitude 7450 and the MacBook Pro 13/15in. I’ve heard good and bad things about both… Which is troubling to see such controversy in university recommend devices.

If you do decide to get a Macbook, you can buy windows 8.1 pro and parallels for a much lower price if you use your student email account. It is $70 ($200 regular) for windows, and $40 ($80 regular) for parallels.